Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra squatter

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
http://www.davidmorgan.com/proddetail.html?product_number=1610&ticket=756249-4838683&sequence=19658

Anybody here own a squatter? looks pretty good in the pic, just wondering.

1610fwn_detail.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
No, but it might be my next purchase. You can get it unblocked. On one of the Australian hat websites they state it is the Akubra hat that "can be modified to look like the fedora worn by Harrison Ford in the 'Indiana Jones' movies."

It is cheaper to buy it on some of the Australian sites. In some photos,it is shown with a round circular top.

karol

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
If you are looking for an Indy Akubra I suggest this one
http://www.hatsdirect.com/hat-info/federation.html
It has the Indy style dimentional brim (I'm less of a fan of the dimentional than I used to be) which is more accurate to the movies.
deluxefed-med.jpg

The dimentional brim in this case means the brim is shorter on the sides and longer in front and back. Not the same measurement all the way around.

I have never seen a dimentional cut brim outside of the Indy style hat and Don't think of it as a 30's attribute more as something just done for the Indy movies.
Used to be common on women's hats but not men's hats back in the Golden era.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Karol, I swear by my Akubra Federations. If you're worried about bashing it yourself I would send it to Art to block and bash it for you.

They're work fedoras that LAST and take all weather conditions and abuse and continue to look good.

thefish

Familiar Face
There is a dimensional cut on the brim of the Federation, but it isn't as severe as it is on the screen-worn Indiana Jones hats, (at least on the Federation Deluxe.) Most people wanting a good SCREEN PRECISE hat, (Indy Gear folks go WELL BEYOND "Screen Accurate,") trim theirs down a bit, but I didn't and I like it just fine, and I like WIDE brims...

The Federation is a really good hat! It's held up fantastically to the remnants of Frances that are tearing through Southern Ohio, and preventing me from being able to go home, (house is fine, roads there are underwater.)

The hat's damp, but looks and feels fine, which is more than I can say for my soaked-through Stacy Adams Madison boots... Bugger...

-Dan

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Renderking --

Thanks for your recommendation. I have been watching the Akubra sites and have read that both the Squatter and the Bushman are the "Indy" hats of choice for Akubra. But, I know some of you stand by the Federation and I certainly want to look into it.

What are the main differences between the standard Federation and the Deluxe? Do you recommend the Deluxe?

I like a fairly wide brim (3 inches) and a slightly wider hat as it fits my face better. I don't care for short brims and pointy tops, nor do I like the "Superfy" look. But, the Indy is just fine.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Matt --

Thanks for the photo and recommendation of the Federation. Renderking swears by it, so I want to look into it.

I am not so much dedicated to the Indy style, though I love the look, especially on men. But do like a wider brimmed hat and wider hat width (is that barrell or crown, not sure of the word to use for that).

We have a hat shop here in San Diego that carries some Akubras. It might be better to try them on than to order one and take a chance.

karol

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This one needs a bump :) Now that the gd heat is leaving it's time for those felts. Got my Squatters out last nite and am wearing my Black DM Squatter today :)

007.jpg

It's REAL Black and shows EVERY cat hair and lint floating around !! :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone got pictures of a Squatter worn with a suit? I've been considering one for a long time (especially since the chin strap hooks in DM's could be very useful) but I'm not sure whether the brim will just be too wide to look sensible with a suit.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone got pictures of a Squatter worn with a suit? I've been considering one for a long time (especially since the chin strap hooks in DM's could be very useful) but I'm not sure whether the brim will just be too wide to look sensible with a suit.

This is the Aussie model, so no chinstrap hooks, but I think it ought to give you the idea.
Photo4.jpg

Photo35.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
^^Thanks for the pictures. The brim doesn't look too bad at all and the crown is quite a bit higher than I thought (which is a good thing).

The US model crown is higher than the OZ model as well. And it's visual aspects depend on the crease you put in it as well, regardless of which model you get. And remember, crown hieght can visually be effected by the shape of the head that's wearing the hat. It's a VERY versitile hat :)

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The US model crown is higher than the OZ model as well. And it's visual aspects depend on the crease you put in it as well, regardless of which model you get. And remember, crown hieght can visually be effected by the shape of the head that's wearing the hat. It's a VERY versitile hat :)
Very true, but you can only get a tall untapered crown like Yeps is wearing if you start off with a hat which has a reasonable amount of crown height. I may go for one in fawn as I've wanted a fawn hat for a while but didn't see the point in getting another Federation in a different colour but would like a wide brimmed, high crowned hat.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Very true, but you can only get a tall untapered crown like Yeps is wearing if you start off with a hat which has a reasonable amount of crown height. I may go for one in fawn as I've wanted a fawn hat for a while but didn't see the point in getting another Federation in a different colour but would like a wide brimmed, high crowned hat.
Since Yeps's hat has no chinstrap hooks it would be an OZ model which has a shorter crown with some taper to it. You might want to consider getting a Fawn from a US retailer as it is DIFFERENT in height (taller by about 1/4") and straighter due to the hieght. And as I understand it many of the OZ models are unlined as opposed to the US models if this is a factor that is important to you.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
Here are two pictures of my Carbon Grey Squatter
edc57192.jpg

b5887d6c.jpg

Johnny

That Carbon Greys is beautiful. Is than an OZ or an American Model?

I'd get a Squatter in a heartbeat if David Morgan hadn't discontinued all the colors I like (Mid Fawn and Moonstone look terrible on me).
I can't bring myself to order an OZ model for fear of the taper and short crown. I can't do it, I tells ya'!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mine was a custom order from hatsdirdct.com about four/five years ago, so yes it is Australian. I really can't see any taper on the crown from the front. From the side it depends how you bash the hat. The height is about the same as the Federation IV. It is shorter then the old Federation III though. Hope that helps. Any more questions feel free to ask. I can take more pictures if you like.
Johnny

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'd get a Squatter in a heartbeat if David Morgan hadn't discontinued all the colors I like (Mid Fawn and Moonstone look terrible on me).
I can't bring myself to order an OZ model for fear of the taper and short crown. I can't do it, I tells ya'!

What size do you wear as DM still lists some Black Squatters in smaller sizes. Also check with The Bluewater Group as they may still have some Carbon Grey left in stock though they don't list them anymore. I got my Grey from them back in February. Otherwise you'll have to go with an OZ model to get any other color, the factory now lists Steel Grey, Black and Fawn available. The OZ model is only a little under 1/4" in hieght and depending on the crease you might not get as much taper to it as you might think. Worth a try :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot