Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubras at an attractive price.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Well, that's quite interesting. It seems like the consensus as of late was that the Adventurer was a federation clone, but judging by those pictures I see a much lower crown. And possibly some taper [bad] I certainly hope not.

I'm looking forward to some FL reviews...

Spellflower said:
Well, Jerekson, if that's all that's keeping you from getting one, I'd be glad to help out by taking some of those brown hats off your hands!;)

Don't push it ;)

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
Very interesting...

Found this little snippet in the blog entries you dug up for our consumption:
I was ... even told of the dangers of heat on the kangaroo leather interior head-band (in direct sunlight will contract 2-3 sizes, so don't leave your hat on the back seat of the car in direct sunlight).

This sounds like a "scientific" explanation for the well-known propensity of our Akubras to "shrink to fit." Guess they really are made oversized, with the idea that you will probably have an accident at some point and the lid will get a little warm. Most, after all, don't wear their hats strictly in air-conditioned hallways. One can't help but wander, since he was in a hat store and the lady felt the need to warn him about it, if maybe instead of picking his size, he tried them on and got one that fit him well when new... in which case a few hot days might produce a bit of a headache, I'd think.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I've just received my new Adventurers hats from Outback. They are well worth the money . The hat is a downturn hat and soft to the touch. I may reblock the hat to make it a snap brim as it arrived as a downturn . I wish they had more of them !!

Steven
:eek:

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Steven, could you humor us with a few pics?

I think I understand what you're saying on the difference between downturn and snap, but do you care to elaborate?

Did they ship USPS?

Mug

New in Town
Steven, do they have much taper? And how high is the crown? I ordered the Banjo, myself, but I'm considering the Adventurer. You just can't go wrong at those prices.

AlanC

Those of you who ordered the Banjo, how do you plan to bash them? Do you intend to put a ribbon on it? I guess my question is, why the Banjo specifically?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Mug said:
Steven, do they have much taper? And how high is the crown? I ordered the Banjo, myself, but I'm considering the Adventurer. You just can't go wrong at those prices.

Aditional question for Steven; did the crown come open or preshaped?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
Those of you who ordered the Banjo, how do you plan to bash them? Do you intend to put a ribbon on it? I guess my question is, why the Banjo specifically?

I thought they came pre-bashed... no matter, I like bashing my own. I'll probably go for a tear drop crown with a high and tight pinch. I'll have to see it first. Same goes for the ribbon decision. Some hats actually look good with a leather band.

As for why; In my case, I've read many good things about the Banjo being an excellent travel hat, fairly light weight, and the basic shape of it reminds me of many of the first wool felt hats I owned in high school and early college years. Yet, I've been putting it off for a couple of years. Suddenly, this deal comes around, and it's just the right color! I do not have a single hat in a light tan! In fact, I recently had to pass on a tan vintage lid because I could not afford it. So timing and price were a major factor. Plus, it's an Akubra! :D

AlanC

Sounds good, just curious. And it very well may come pre-bashed. I don't know.

These are my first Akubras. I figured with all the positive reviews it was too good of a deal to pass up.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The hat has a 4 3/8 inch crown and is preshaped. It would be a perfect crown for a dress hat. It is so light weight.

Steven
Wishing I had more Akubras to sell:D

fedoracpa

New in Town
I really hope my Adventurer arrives today. I ordered it on Tuesday, but did it online. I would hope for it to arrive quickly, especially since the physical store is in the neighboring county. We will all have to post pictures of us sporting our new Adventurers when we get them.

AlanC

fedoracpa said:
We will all have to post pictures of us sporting our new Adventurers when we get them.

Indeed! Whoever gets theirs first needs to start an 'Adventurer Alliance' thread for us all to join in on.

Steven, I'm thrilled to hear about the light weight.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I got the Banjo this evening. The light is not good in my house - best was the bathroom (sorry guys) but I took some quick pics. It has the same Imperial Quality liner as the regular Federation, and fits about the same. Great Sand color. It's a bit stiffer than the Fed, but not as stiff as most of Akubra's cowboy hats. It is already shaped, including a turned down brim. I like the barramundi band, so I'll be leaving it. I might tighten the pinch a little, but I haven't decided. If the Adventurer is anything like this, you should all be very happy... especially with the better felt. (I guess the Banjo Patterson is the deluxe version of the Banjo that I now have).

A fairly accurate color image
2003_0101Banjo0018.jpg

Best mirror shot I managed
Wearingside.jpg

Front shot
WearingFront.jpg

The whole album (I'll add more when the sun comes up again).
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/Fedora_Dog/Akubra Banjo/

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
Steven, could you humor us with a few pics?

I think I understand what you're saying on the difference between downturn and snap, but do you care to elaborate?

Did they ship USPS?

Oh, my hat came by UPS. And the down-turn is made so the brim stays down all the time. Snap brims look like they are up all the way around, but are softer and springy so you can just tug it down in front, in back, sides, or whatever you like. This is sort of the standard fedora type.

One of the Regulars
Tango Yankee said:
I've come to the conclusion that Akubra does not show all of the hat styles they make on their web site. There are a number of hats that are shown on retailers web sites but not there, including the Jackaroo and the Adventurer.

Yeah, I found a very nice lid called a Roosevelt in an Alberta western wear store. They're an Akubra dealer and it's an Akubra hat, but I couldn't find any info about it online. Also, German sites have a nice hat called an Outback, which is basically a Coober Pedy with a 2.75 inch brim. When I inquired about it at Everything Australian they had never heard of it. [huh]

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
Dunno if y'all have noticed, but even the Akubra Federation, beloved by so many on here, isn't on the company website... There is no place that I know of to find a listing of every single model the company makes. It seems like you just sort of have to find a site that lists most of them and go off that, to get an idea of their selection.

AlanC

It seems they don't list what are considered hats exclusive to a particular store, of which the Federation would be one.

Interestingly, it seems more than one store had the Adventurer and at least one of them claimed it as an exclusive hat. Maybe Akubra just hopes some of those exlusive stores never meet!

Mug

New in Town
Lookin' good, Not-Bogart. I think mine should arrive today. I'm surprised it's not the Heritage Quality, though. I thought there was only one hat with the "Banjo" designation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw