Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubras at an attractive price.

fatwoul

Practically Family
DominusTecum said:
Dunno if y'all have noticed, but even the Akubra Federation, beloved by so many on here, isn't on the company website...

Right - neither is David Morgan's Explorer model. Maybe smaller runs like that which are dedicated to one outlet only just don't get a mention, so as not to mislead visitors what models they might be able to see in their local Akubra stockist?

Mug

New in Town
Akubra does have a bit of a secretive side, don't they?

They have a lot of unlisted models, the questions about whether they use more farmed rabbit or wild hare and whether that hare is from Australia or imported from Europe. Why they're so scarce in other parts of the world (i.e. why they choose to be so reclusive in their pursuit of foreign markets). From when did they produce the "Open Road" for Stetson, ect...
But for a modern production hat, they're my choice.

AlanC, in regards to your question about the Banjo, I think I'm going to keep it as is for a little while, but I might put a diamond crease in it. I've got some ribbon around here if the leather band offends my eyes, but judging from the pics, especially those posted by Not-Bogart, I think it'll look fine as is.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Finally got info on my hat...

talked to the girl at Outback...she said the lady that ships stuff would be in soon (this is around 10:30 this morning)...she takes daown ifo so I'll be called back as to status of hat shipment....No call....I call back around 12:45...Oh she says...the lady trhat does the shipping called in sick today...Then how can I get my tracking info?...Oh she says...I can look that up...she reads me off the info...I go to UPS and track my hat....It was sent out late on the 30th...( I called/purchased on the 29th)....UPS has it arriving after the holiday for next Tuesday the 4th....Needless to say...I am bummed...Hpoefully someone here will get pics posted and describe how wonderful the Adventurer is, so I'll feel a little better and have something to look forward to after this long holiday....There...I've vented.....:mad: :eusa_doh: :(

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Mug said:
I've got some ribbon around here if the leather band offends my eyes, but judging from the pics, especially those posted by Not-Bogart, I think it'll look fine as is.

Actually, there's a tag on the hat that explains the band. It's not leather - it's fish skin!

Also, I took more pics in the sunlight and added them to my album (a few posts back).

fedoracpa

New in Town
Colby Jack - I think I'm in the same boat as you. I placed an online order Tuesday, which was the 28th. When I login to check the order status, it shows as a new order yet. I checked my credit card online and it was charged on the 29th. I really hoped that it would arrive today, but considering it has not yet arrived, I guess I will have to wait until after the weekend! What a bummer...

analogist

One of the Regulars
Akubra Hats

I too got my order from Outback Outlet yesterday. I ordered four different models and for what they are, they are really neat.

The Adventurer if a soft very nice down-turned hat which looks quite sporty. The felt is a beautiful color and quite soft and supple. My friend Besdor (********) also received four hats and we both think the brim cannot be re-flanged to have "snap." I have no complai nts.

I really like the Banjo and as far as I can tell also owning a Banjo Patterson, they are the same hat with the same grade of felt. I like the Barramundi band (however I recently had grilled barramundi which was not to my liking.)

Give these folks a call for a good all-around Aussie hat and a great price. Also, very fine folks with whom to deal.

analogist

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic: Just out of curiousity, why is the name of Besdor's store being routinely replaced with asterisks these days?

Cheers,
JtL

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Analogist, it's good to have your expert endorsement of the Adventurer, and I feel in good company knowing you got one, too.

Colby Jack, it likely makes you feel no better at all, but there were no boxes awaiting my arrival home, either. I guess it's Tuesday for me, too. :(

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad to know it's a worthwhile hat....but yes....I'm still bummed...So please someone post some pics of it....
I think I loined the Army about this time and got held over at the welcome center because of this weekend....i should have learned my lesson years ago....:eusa_doh:

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
In complete agreement AlanC

I checked the UPS tracking page...and my Heritage quality Adventurer hat is on it's way to my little town...I can't wait to feel this wonderful fur I've heard so much about. :eek:fftopic: I've been doing so much reading on vintage hats and i've come to a realization that I have know idea what these "magical hats" feel like. I can only imagine...There's not a single, quality hat store anywhere near me...Ok...I can go to a western store and feel up a 10X Stetson, and yet still know that what I have in my hands comes no where near to a vintage....
Ok...I've ranted again...Can't wait till the new thread tomorrow...and the images start to pour in!
Ha-zah!
Colby Jack

Rick Blaine

GOT IT!

Whew!
I ordered an Adventurer last Tue. just before I posted this link... I figured I would have it in hand no later than Friday.... Friday comes & goes w/o the appearance of the UPS man... add to this the fact my order info isn't on the retailers' web site any more and I never got a tracking # ... my anxiety is mounting at this point & all of the long weekend... I call this a.m. & speak w/ Beverly, as nice a lady as one might ever hope to meet, and she lets me know it is in town & winging its way to me as we speak, she also mentioned that we gave her one heck of a week last week!
I just opened mine up & it does not disappoint. This is my fist Akubra from the "Heritage" line of felt. Since my reg. Federation is my only basis for comparison (other than my Akubra made Stetson Open Road, a horse of a different color) I am suitably impressed. The Adventurer has a much softer felt than the Fed & a much lower & more tapered center dent crown which I may teardrop. The brim is indeed a dimensional cut, but mine measures more like 3 1/8" front & back, 2 7/8" on the sides, a long ovoid shaped brim as seen from above, this creates a pronounced & dramatic "swoop" to the front brim. A fantastic Akubra model I had never heard of before (& I do not think is produced any longer, either) for less than $55 delivered, I am as pleased as punch!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Well I'm still waiting for mine...First UPS has come and gone...a 3:30 and 6:30 are the next alternatives...and according to the tracking page...it's out for delivery.
I am ready to be pleased as punch also![huh] :eusa_doh:
Rick...it's still great to know that it will be worth it. When you talked to her, did she say if she had anymore Akubras left in stock?...I still wonder what she's bringing in to replace the Akubras?

Colby Jack on hold....

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have several Akubras, would love that Banjo hat but they are out of my size. Already have a Federation and an Indy hat from Steve, so don't need an Adventurer.

OK, I am really curious -- what kind of hat they would be getting in stock that would be as good as an Akubra?!!? Something new? It would have to be, for what else, outside custom hats, would be better than an Akubra?

That's a hard act to follow....

karol

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if they're rethinking their stance on carrying Akubra's after what we did last week? Maybe we can make suggestions to her on what might sell...
Colby Jack

Rick Blaine

Colby Jack said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Well I'm still waiting for mine...First UPS has come and gone...a 3:30 and 6:30 are the next alternatives...and according to the tracking page...it's out for delivery.
I am ready to be pleased as punch also![huh] :eusa_doh:
Rick...it's still great to know that it will be worth it. When you talked to her, did she say if she had anymore Akubras left in stock?...I still wonder what she's bringing in to replace the Akubras?

Colby Jack on hold....

Hang in there Jack, sounds as though you are on track to receive it today!
No, she didn't indicate her remaining stock or what she might be getting to replace the Akubra line. I will definitely keep my eyes on her web site though.

AlanC said:
Thanks for the report, Rick.

AlanC also on hold (and with no tracking number :( ).

No worries, Alan. Hang in there, buddy, the long holiday weekend has played hell w/ shipments, I think...I don't know HOW far south ya' are, but I'd be surprised if'n you didn't see it soon...

regards,

RB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS