Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubras at an attractive price.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, my wife was underwhelmed, too. I said, 'What do you think of my new hat?'

'Is that new?'

'Yes. It's new.'

'Not one you sent off and got back from Art?'

'No. It's new.'

'I like some of your other ones better.'

Mark Brody

New in Town
You know, if you're looking for feminine approval, you could always consult before you buy ;) I know it sounds funny, but I'm usually so excited whenever I order a new hat that I have to show my fiance (or whoever happens to be around) before I place the order. If nothing else, it at least gives her time to come up with a compliment.

Than again you run the risk of "Why are you spending another $200 on a hat? Don't you already have three that look just like that one?"

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
Fats...I'll need to get a hat stretcher next...but it's starting to loosen up a bit now that I've had it on all night.:D

Indycop...The UPS guy made a joke that it came all the way from Australia...not being in the mood...I said nope...it onlycame from Pa....I must have been his last delivery of the night...and this poor hat rode all day in the heat!...Now I'll have to see how the hat looks with the Ruger SA 45lc!
So did you get your stuff yet...and I need to get a job as a cop in Jax...Then I could afford all that loot you mentioned! lol

Cheers all
Colby Jack
I would ask you how your box looked but fatwoul would get me!
I don't know how close to jax you are but if you're near orange park there is a western wear store that sells hat stretchers and the little stands. If you don't want to wait for the mail again.
Oh I don't make the big money that the city guys make!! I work for the state! Not even a cost of living raise this year.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
For those worried about Akubra sizing, keep in mind that every hat brand has it's own sizing quirks. Plus, Akubras are really based on the cm measurement, and don't always translate perfectly into other size types. Besides, the slightly snug Akubras are probably the right size, but they are very round when new and conform to head shape after a while.

As for the lack of spousal approval on the Adventurer... I don't normally say things like this, but the hat isn't doing it for me, either (based on pictures so far). You all got a bargin, but a less-than-stellar hat is still less-than-stellar at half price. Sorry fellas. But I agree with the wives. [huh]

Duck

Practically Family
The Riverina

Alan, how do you like the Riverina? If you get time, could you post a pic of you wearing it?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
See--and my wife thinks I order a lot of stuff! lol

Two of the panamas are for the wife! The bomber was in the COW classifieds for $50 so there was no way I could pass that up! She's thinking of getting a dobbs fedora now too! There's goes the little bit of hat money I had!

AlanC

Duck said:
Alan, how do you like the Riverina? If you get time, could you post a pic of you wearing it?

I like it. It's a different sort of hat than I'm really used to with the Western/Outback type look. Of course, I plan for it to look very different when I take the leather band off and replace it with a pugaree. Take a look at Mike K.'s for an idea of what I'm going for with mine.

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

Mug

New in Town
I still haven't got the Banjo yet.:mad: I really hope it shows up today. It's been a week and a day since I paid, but I'm sure the holiday weekend has slowed things down....

Got my fingers crossed.

Rick Blaine

me too

Mug said:
I still haven't got the Banjo yet.:mad: I really hope it shows up today. It's been a week and a day since I paid, but I'm sure the holiday weekend has slowed things down....

Got my fingers crossed.

It took me a week & a day to get my order & yeah the holiday no doubt gummed up the works. At least you got a banjo, by the time I went back they were all out of 59s. Hang in there though I am sure it is just over the horizon. You could always ask Outback Outlet for a tracking #, too.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
and here I was thinking about getting something else from Outbackoutlet...but now I'm thinking of a grey squatter or a bushman from DM...or a Fed....
Indycop...I've been to that western store...got one south of me also in Gville, just off 75....There is a much better store in Valdosta...and how do you like your Feds?
Colby Jack

Mug

New in Town
After calling I was told my hat wasn't shipped until Sep. 6, and according to them, that was because I ordered it on Sep. 5, which is great service, except it was ordered on Aug. 29!!!!!

Needless to say, I won't get it until Monday at the earliest. :rage: :rage:

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Mug...they're nice people...just a little slow...I think we overwhelmed them that week...Then they had the lady that does the mailorder call in sick...
but I'd be in a padded room now if I were still waiting. That was my first venture into buying a hat online...everything else has been hands on. I don't know how some of these guys wait a year for an Indy hat...and now I'm thinking about the Camptowns...I couldn't deal with the AB yet....

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
Woohoo! Got my Riverina today! I'll have some pics of me wearing it tomorrow, as I plan to give it its first foray into the wilderness in the morning, when I go hiking out at Red Rock.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
...I don't know how some of these guys wait a year for an Indy hat...and now I'm thinking about the Camptowns...I couldn't deal with the AB yet....

Most people - myself included - find the best method for ordering an AB/ABD is to just place the order with Steve or Marc, give them all the information they need, and then just forget about it. It sounds silly, but so far I have to remind myself that I even have an AB on order.

Short waits are worse. I suspect that the 6-8 month wait for my Adventurebilt will be easier than the 10 day wait for my Fed Dlx was. :eek:

As for Camptowns, the wait on those is not so bad. Of course I can't speak for Ken, and everything considered this information may no longer be true, but having asked around those who have recently received their Fieldmasters and Metropolitans, Ken's wait time is currently 5-6 weeks. For a semi-custom hat as nice as his, that is pretty fast work.

You know you want a Camptown, Colby. Don't fight it. Give in to the temptation. Surrender... ;)

Anyway sorry that was OT. Akubras...

Someone in the UK please cut a piece of their Fed Reg off, and post it to me so I can see the colour. Thanks. :D

fatwoul

Practically Family
VegasMike said:
Woohoo! Got my Riverina today! I'll have some pics of me wearing it tomorrow, as I plan to give it its first foray into the wilderness in the morning, when I go hiking out at Red Rock.

Are you going to alter it at all, like Mike K. did? His looked good.

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
Probably not, other than pinching in the front a bit. I was actually looking for a hat just like it for awhile, as it will be a great adventuring hat. All I think I'll do is teardrop the front a smidgen, then take it hiking and let it get beat up naturally.

fatwoul

Practically Family
VegasMike said:
Probably not, other than pinching in the front a bit. I was actually looking for a hat just like it for awhile, as it will be a great adventuring hat. All I think I'll do is teardrop the front a smidgen, then take it hiking and let it get beat up naturally.

We'll need photos of the hat on its hike. You could be in the pictures too, I guess. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS