Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Al Sharpton called me "Dick Tracy" today...

VisforVictory

New in Town
At my usual post today, covering the Manhattan Criminal Courts for the Daily News, Rev. Al Sharpton was due for the start of a trial stemming from civil disobedience rallies back in May. I was in my usual weekly attire, with suit, hat, and bowtie (giving my neckties a rest.) He gave a brief press conference before leaving for lunch, concluding with "finally, today, I got to meet Dick Tracy," looking in my direction. I shrugged and said "Dick Tracy's hat was yellow!" Ah, whatever.

So, it's bad enough that we have to use digital cameras to take pictures these days, but now the papers want photographers to carry video cameras, too. I started to pull a little civil disobedience of my own, and rather than carry a video camera as a supplemental instrument, I carried a 4X5 Speed Graphic!

Photos courtesy of my friend and colleague, Lou Lanzano:

marcal1.jpg

marcal2.jpg

marcal3.jpg

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
dr greg said:
It's a good look, now all you need is one of those old press cards in the hatband and you've got it all :eusa_clap

Check the last picture, I'm pretty sure his press card is there in the hatband. lol

Lovely pictures though! And I'd never mind being snapped by a photographer dressed so dapper. ;)

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
dr greg said:
It's a good look, now all you need is one of those old press cards in the hatband and you've got it all :eusa_clap

Actually I thought I saw a "press card" in the hatband. Did I, or am I mistaken? And if so, can we see a close up?

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
The Rev's trousers are too low-waisted and make him look sloppy and squat. He was just jealous that you had such a sharp suit on!

Sorry, I disagree. I think his trousers are at the right height for his waist (he may have short legs - that's a difference). His jacket is simply flapping in the breeze from the (correctly fastened) top button, exposing a triangle of shirt and tie. If the jacket was hanging correctly, this would not be seen.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When working in journalism...

...'this' is a 'very good' move ;) It's not a bad thing to be 'recognised' in a 'good' way, ie: your dress code being slightly different. Could be as simple as wearing a 'white' jacket all the time when out on the ground, or in this case a vintage hat.

Very good personal marketing that sets 'you' apart from the pack in this competitive industry (as you well realise no doubt;) ). GREAT look!!:eusa_clap

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually, you look a lot more like Clark Kent, Marc.
BTW, we have to get together so I can get my Leathernecks back.
You're looking very dapper there, young man.
Some friends of mine were Rev Al's landlord many years ago in Brooklyn. They said he had something of an aversion to paying his rent. lol
Oh, yes, did you get a picture with the Speed Graphlic? Will you post it?
Also BTW, Marc played the "Bob Hope" character last year in "The 1940 Musical Comedy Murders" at Heights Players, and I have to tell you, folks, he killed! He had 'em rolling in the aisles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace