Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Al Sharpton called me "Dick Tracy" today...

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, you look real sharp! I applaud you for your timeless sense of style and fashion.

If I were lucky (or possibly unlucky) enough to get my picture taken by the press, I'd hope it would be a guy as sharply dressed as you! :eusa_clap

celtic

A-List Customer
why is it always the type of person with the audacity to wear a velour tracksuit as dinner wear that comments on others choice of apparel?

:eusa_doh:

Story

I'll Lock Up
I only see one Dick in those pics and it ain't you, V.

Lookin' good! :eusa_clap

VisforVictory

New in Town
Thanks, gang! 'specially you, Pidge, that's a new one for me! No swooning in NYC, sadly, but lots of weird looks and questions. This weekend, I was covering a bank robbery, and a woman on the street refused to believe that I was an actual photographer. "No, this is a movie. You're an actor." "No, I'm not, actually." "Yes you are." And she walked away.

The press card is, naturally, in my hat-band...unfortunately, it's the new design that the NYPD released in 2003, changing decades of tradition. It used to be a badge-shaped piece of cardstock, starting around 1937. I do have a collection of old press cards, though—it's surprising that so many survived after being exposed to the elements in news people's hats.

nightstandpresscards.jpg

Danny the H! Shoot me an e-mail, we'll hook up.

We all agree that the velour tracksuits were a welcome deletion from the Rev's wardrobe.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
VisforVictory said:

That is an AMAZING collection. I am a TV newsman who loves the old days of "the press." Some days I wish it were like that again...but I am sure they had their troubles and problems just as we do today. It is great you are keeping that tradition alive.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
VisforVictory said:
At my usual post today, covering the Manhattan Criminal Courts for the Daily News, Rev. Al Sharpton was due for the start of a trial stemming from civil disobedience rallies back in May. I was in my usual weekly attire, with suit, hat, and bowtie (giving my neckties a rest.) He gave a brief press conference before leaving for lunch, concluding with "finally, today, I got to meet Dick Tracy," looking in my direction. I shrugged and said "Dick Tracy's hat was yellow!" Ah, whatever.

So, it's bad enough that we have to use digital cameras to take pictures these days, but now the papers want photographers to carry video cameras, too. I started to pull a little civil disobedience of my own, and rather than carry a video camera as a supplemental instrument, I carried a 4X5 Speed Graphic!

Al Sharpton would be lucky to receive some style tips from you!!! I think he must have been jealous. Love the glasses by the way... they really compliment your Suit and Fedora!!!!

VisforVictory

New in Town
Ace - The frames were simply a $15 eBay find. The stems are a liiiiittle short, but not terribly so.

Paddy - The outfit has become my "thing," and as you observe, has proven a valuable asset on the job. At the emergency scenes, it conveys respect for the authorities—as I like to tell them, "you guys wear uniforms, why shouldn't I?" The wardrobe works equally at burning buildings, courthouses, late-night murders, and sitting down with grieving relatives in livingrooms. T-shirts and jeans...not so much. It serves as protection from over-zealous law enforcement, who might look on us as punk kids with cameras from some anarchist 'zine. When things get rough, and people are getting rounded up and cuffed, I don't want to be wearing the same thing as the protesters. When it's 3 a.m. and someone's been shot in the middle of Brooklyn, I don't want to look like some neighborhood Joe who's going to be a problem.

Dan Rather just commented on my hat a few minutes ago, actually!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
>time out<

Al was permed out by James Brown himself. He's got more style than most people will ever know. If you have a problem with that, you can take it up with me.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Max Flash said:
Sorry, I disagree. I think his trousers are at the right height for his waist (he may have short legs - that's a difference). His jacket is simply flapping in the breeze from the (correctly fastened) top button, exposing a triangle of shirt and tie. If the jacket was hanging correctly, this would not be seen.
It does seem from the photos that the tip of his necktie is just barely touching his belt which would make it a rather short, almost vintage,tie. That's why I (still) think that his trousers are sitting on his hips instead of at the natural waist. The suit overall looks good. As always, mileage may vary...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace