Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Around Hat

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
I was wondering if the Open Road hat can look right with most types of activity's and dress. I mean I will wear mine with jeans, Tee shirt, coat and romeo shoes, but Is it accepted to wear with just jeans Tshirt, or long sleeve shirt and sneakers. I feel kind of akward wearing this hat with sneakers. I don't know why. Sometimes I will run out the door in this attire, grab the hat ,and then say to myself that kind of down plays the hat. What do you guy's and Gal's think? I think the more the hat gets broken in the more comfortable I will feel wearing it with my normal kick around clothes. I would draw the line with shorts however. :D I wear the hat snapped down now, I think it works better for me.

Hi Dasmoeturhead,

I have quite a few Open Roads, as well as Akubra Campdrafts (essentially the same hat). I wear mine with all manner of clothing. I will say, my nicer looking OR's I wear with more dressy clothing, ie sport coats, sport shirts, etc. The ones that are more "lived in" looking, I wear with jeans, T-shirts, yes, and tennis shoes. If I wear shorts, however, I wear a straw OR or panama type hat.

Bottom line, I think your hats can go with anything you want as long as you are comfortable in it.

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
Thanks for that. I tend to follow the same rules. I'm thinking of buying a Akubra Bushman for my everyday outdoors type hat. I think I want to preserve my new Steston OR for when I wear better attire. I know from what I've read on this forum, that the Steston is not the hat it once was, but it is my baby. I waited a long time to get it, and I'm very happy with it. I also really like the Fedora Lounge. What a great site. Only problem now is that I want a bunch more hats.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
You've started out with a very nice hat with a lot of heritage regardless WHEN it was made. Wear it proudly :) As for an "everyday" hat, being an owner and wearer of a Bushman for over 30 years now, I feel you can't go wrong with one !! Remember, the hat sold now as the Campdraft by Akubra was originally a Stetson OR as made by Akubra for Stetson in Australia decades ago. Admittadly pre-Cattleman crease but still an OR ! As for when and where to wear your hat, I wear felts when it's cool/cold and change to Panama's when it's warm/hot. I don't wear tennis shoes so that's not an issue though you'd have to work that one out :) I'm wearing my Bushman today and it's been raining and I'm going out in it again and the Bushman will go back on my head when I go out. It's a great "...fan the fire, water the dog" hat :) And the color goes well with most other colors you might wear ! ( a Panama might work better with Hawaiian shirts though :) ) Just don't forget to grab that hat and put it on your head when you head out the door :)

Last edited:

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Hi Dasmoeturhead,

I have quite a few Open Roads, as well as Akubra Campdrafts (essentially the same hat). I wear mine with all manner of clothing. I will say, my nicer looking OR's I wear with more dressy clothing, ie sport coats, sport shirts, etc. The ones that are more "lived in" looking, I wear with jeans, T-shirts, yes, and tennis shoes. If I wear shorts, however, I wear a straw OR or panama type hat.

Bottom line, I think your hats can go with anything you want as long as you are comfortable in it.

This is what I do also. The OR style is really versatile. I "dress up" with them and work in them. The only time I would not feel comfortable in one is at a very formal affair but that is rare for me.

The Campdrafts are great because you can fan the fire and water the dog with them as Monbla said during the day then brush it down and team it with a sportcoat to go out in at night. They are great hats...

When I dress up, I wear my Stetson 100 which is Open Road style. For less dressed up but not totally casual, my Stetson 25 OR Style or Stratoliner. The rest of the time & foul weather = Royal Deluxe or Royal Stetson OR's. If I put on a lid, it is a thin or mid ribbon. My Akubra Squatter & a Penney's Marathon are the widest ribbons I've got. The Marathon seems dressier for sure.
Growing up, my grandfather had a nice OR for Sundays & going out on the town. He had a beater OR for the rest of the time.

theinterchange

One Too Many
In my book, a hat is what YOU want it to be. I have an OR clone Resistol that I wear with jeans and a buttondown shirt, and I have a Campdraft that I wear with the same sort of things. If you want to wear an Open Road style casual, go for it... if you want to reserve it for dressier occasions, go for it. The important thing is how you're comfortable with it and let "the rules" fall where they may.

Randy

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Of course, it depends on your personal style and how you like to dress.

In my opinion, an Alessandria or Stratoliner style hat is very versatile. ORs are nice too but tend to have wider brims. That makes them less flexible and more problematic for me personally. Either way, a good thin ribbon (with the correct proportions and color) can dress up or down with equal ease. To my way of thinking, this style hat is perhaps the most versatile out there.

By the way, I should disclose that I do live in Texas! :cool2:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think that most soft felt hats are much more versatile that we give them credit for.

Blondie has been demonstrating this very well recently with his St. Regis.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I'm a person who wears a hat so it doesn't matter what else I'm wearing - there will be a hat on my head. My Open Roads and clones are my go-to hats. The big decision is whether to wear tan or silver belly and clean or not-so-clean.

About the only place I won't wear an OR is to a funeral. I don't have a black one.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was wondering if the Open Road hat can look right with most types of activity's and dress. I mean I will wear mine with jeans, Tee shirt, coat and romeo shoes, but Is it accepted to wear with just jeans Tshirt, or long sleeve shirt and sneakers. I feel kind of akward wearing this hat with sneakers. I don't know why. Sometimes I will run out the door in this attire, grab the hat ,and then say to myself that kind of down plays the hat. What do you guy's and Gal's think? I think the more the hat gets broken in the more comfortable I will feel wearing it with my normal kick around clothes. I would draw the line with shorts however. :D I wear the hat snapped down now, I think it works better for me.

I'll tell you how I deal with Open Roads. First off I don't wear any fedoras with T shirts, because I think hats are always at least a little dressy, and I think it's incongruous with a T shirt, they always need a collared shirt, in my view. Also, the older we are, the less T shirts are wonderful on us. They're good for up to age 20s, IMHO, or the buff, in my part of the country, but I don't wear them outside much except for very casual. You're right about the tennis shoes--with hat, they're incongruous, in my opinion. So I wear ORs with blue jeans or Dockers of some kind and leather shoes, for a good "look." On the other hand, I don't wear ORs with sports coats or suits, because I have a used vintage Open Road that is a little stiff and a little dingy. That hat is a little dowdy for dress clothes. If I had a pristine OR like those Mr. Paladin shows or others I have seen--the really nice, clean ORs--then I would wear them with dress clothes, but I don't have such an Open Road.

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
All good responses, and pretty much what I expected. It's good to hear that I'm on the right path. I think I'm going to keep my new OR for more dressier clothes. I have already worn it with a suit with cowboy boots. I thought,and so did everyone else present that it was a good combination. I've got the bug I guess and just ordered a Akubra Bushman from David Morgan. I plan on using that for my everyday hat. I'm out in the woods hunting, working on the family Ranch, or around the house quite a bit, so I need one hat that looks good ,and will hold up in a downpour. Honestly I never even heard of the Aukubra brand before I joined you folks. I have read quite a bit on here, and I think I made a good choice for what I intend to use it for. When I was a lot younger it was all Resistal cowboy hats,and thats all I wore,but it hasn't worked for me for a long time. I used to ride bulls for fun, so the black hat was it. I do still wear the old Resistol when I go hunting in bad weather. Now I will have two new hats to contemplate. Getting older and wiser I reckon.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
You WON'T be dissapointed with your choice. Some of those old Resistols were good hats and I think you'll find your Akubra MORE than meets your requirements! Crease it and wear it in good health!!:)

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
You WON'T be dissapointed with your choice. Some of those old Resistols were good hats and I think you'll find your Akubra MORE than meets your requirements! Crease it and wear it in good health!!:)

Thank you I will. The Old Resistol I have is 28 years old and still going. No sweatband though. From what I've read in the Lounge you can have a new one installed. I think I looked into it about 20 odd years ago, but never followed through with it. I don't wear it but a few weeks out the year now and it has shrunk or my head is larger,and with a new band it probably would be tight. Looking forward to the new Bushman for sure. Funny thing today, I was walking out of the bank with the OR on and a lady got out of her truck and looked at me and said; nice hat. Is that a Stetson? I said yes ma'am it is ,and she just gave me a big smile. Thats the first time that has ever happened.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Growing up, my grandfather had a nice OR for Sundays & going out on the town. He had a beater OR for the rest of the time.

Although I have a few more hats than your grandfather did, I like the simplicity of his hats. A nice one for when you're dressed up and a beater for everything else. Sorta makes me wish I could do that. On second thought...

;)

Thank you I will. The Old Resistol I have is 28 years old and still going. No sweatband though. From what I've read in the Lounge you can have a new one installed. I think I looked into it about 20 odd years ago, but never followed through with it. I don't wear it but a few weeks out the year now and it has shrunk or my head is larger,and with a new band it probably would be tight. Looking forward to the new Bushman for sure. Funny thing today, I was walking out of the bank with the OR on and a lady got out of her truck and looked at me and said; nice hat. Is that a Stetson? I said yes ma'am it is ,and she just gave me a big smile. Thats the first time that has ever happened.

There are some good vintage Resistols out there. I've got an OR clone San Antonio & another fedora style even in my large 7 5/8. You can also find decent western ones to cut down & convert - see the Conversion Corral thread for ideas too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles