Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amnesia said:
Hi all

I'm brand new here and used the website to find out about original Irvins before purchasing one. (To go with a moggy 1000 convertable I am still to find). Thanks for all your help. Recently bought a 1939 two panel (B24386/39 CIB Size 40 on label along with crown and A.M). It's currently going through Pecard process (again from this site). Internally brilliant with perfect stitching and zips. External surface has cracking and wear but a brilliant colour. Just a word of warning. I bought mine at reputable auction house. It had several bids over £800 and one of £950. There is auction commission on top of that!! It appears they may have been a good investment for you guys that got them early. Recession???? I'll post images as soon as the Pecards has finished it's job.
Amnesia

Welcome to the forum. Your jacket was made by Irvin Air Chute and should have relatively square collar ends, small collar rings and high quality stitching. IAC were awarded many AM contracts from 1932 to 1945. Along with Wareings they were the only pre-war makers of Irvins. I am looking forward to seeing some photos. Which auction house did you buy it through?

aswatland

Amnesia said:
Hello Andrew

It was Marlows in Stone. Perhaps we have the underbidders on this site!

Kind regards
amnesia

Well I was not one of them! If it sold for £950+ it must be a very special Irvin indeed. I presume all the zips are single trunnion brass Dot made in Englands?

aswatland

It does appear to be in good order.
Irvin1939.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire

Very nice video! You should hear it when he makes a pas in the valley at his home base of Aspen! Back on subject, I have owned a few original B3s, none really wearable. The reason for this is that originals were treated with a lacquer which cracks badly. Were the Irvins likewise treated?

Amnesia

New in Town
Morning guys

Yes that appears to be the catalogue image. The zips are made in England Dots but whether they are brass or 'single trunnion' I don't know. I don't really know what a trunnion is and it's not in the OED. Anything you can tell me about the jacket will be great. A friends son, who studies the history of RAF fighter squadrons in the second world war tells me it has the symetrical wear on both sides at the right height indicating it was worn for some time in a single seater (and may have been in the sea). That's it; nice thought but whether that's right or not I don't know so any help will be appreciated. I'll post the pics as soon as the Pecards has finished and continue my hunt for the Moggie 1000. By the way I didn't buy the MW.
Amnesia

aswatland

Stearmen said:
Very nice video! You should hear it when he makes a pas in the valley at his home base of Aspen! Back on subject, I have owned a few original B3s, none really wearable. The reason for this is that originals were treated with a lacquer which cracks badly. Were the Irvins likewise treated?

Yes Irvins were treated with a polyacrilic top coat but they don't tend to crack in quite the same pronounced way as B-3s. B-3s are notorious for surface flaking, which is not so often the case with Irvins. This may be due to differences in the lacquer and perhaps the type of sheepskin used.

aswatland

Amnesia said:
Morning guys

Yes that appears to be the catalogue image. The zips are made in England Dots but whether they are brass or 'single trunnion' I don't know. I don't really know what a trunnion is and it's not in the OED. Anything you can tell me about the jacket will be great. A friends son, who studies the history of RAF fighter squadrons in the second world war tells me it has the symetrical wear on both sides at the right height indicating it was worn for some time in a single seater (and may have been in the sea). That's it; nice thought but whether that's right or not I don't know so any help will be appreciated. I'll post the pics as soon as the Pecards has finished and continue my hunt for the Moggie 1000. By the way I didn't buy the MW.
Amnesia

Here is a DOT double trunnion zip. All the DOT zips with cast sliders were the double trunnion variety.
023-18.jpg

Below is a brass single trunnion zip.
026-17.jpg

Both types of zips were used on pre-war and wartime Irvins and these are the type of zips used on the earliest Irvins from 1932-3.

rikbb

Familiar Face
pecards

Amnesia said:
Hi all

I'm brand new here and used the website to find out about original Irvins before purchasing one. (To go with a moggy 1000 convertable I am still to find). Thanks for all your help. Recently bought a 1939 two panel (B24386/39 CIB Size 40 on label along with crown and A.M). It's currently going through Pecard process (again from this site). Internally brilliant with perfect stitching and zips. External surface has cracking and wear but a brilliant colour. Just a word of warning. I bought mine at reputable auction house. It had several bids over £800 and one of £950. There is auction commission on top of that!! It appears they may have been a good investment for you guys that got them early. Recession???? I'll post images as soon as the Pecards has finished it's job.
Amnesia

Speaking of Pecards, I went to see their website, they have so many products, which one is best for irvin leather jacket?

rik

Stevie J

New in Town
Irvin preservation and restoration advice wanted.

Yes, Aswatland, you are quite correct about my main zip. Upon close inspection, it is apparent that the zip has been replaced. It must have been some time ago because it matches the rest of the jacket well.
Are original type zips available NOS or repro?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
B3

aswatland said:
Yes Irvins were treated with a polyacrilic top coat but they don't tend to crack in quite the same pronounced way as B-3s. B-3s are notorious for surface flaking, which is not so often the case with Irvins. This may be due to differences in the lacquer and perhaps the type of sheepskin used.
Thanks for the answer! Thats what I like about this group, even the dumbest question gets a well thought out answer!

Amnesia

New in Town
It's just as well really with me on the site!!! I do appreciate the help I've received, and you guys don't mind complete novices like me. By the way Andrew, I wish I'd read about using Pecards sparingly before applying it. I'll take some off then. It may dry quicker.:)

Iain

Amnesia

New in Town
Whoops forgot. I have now also been recommended Chelsea leather food. any thoughts? I don't want to be the one that experiments but it's easier to get hold of than Pecards (although I do now have a big pot of it).

Amnesia

aswatland

Amnesia said:
Whoops forgot. I have now also been recommended Chelsea leather food. any thoughts? I don't want to be the one that experiments but it's easier to get hold of than Pecards (although I do now have a big pot of it).

Amnesia

I would stick with Pecards as it is tried and tested.

Amnesia

New in Town
Sorry I can't do any images. This sites needs a URL and short of just attaching things.... Anyway the original image is above.
Well I took the beastie for a walk yesterday. My wife and I went for a drink in the local and an old guy (well older than me) came up to me and asked if it was genuine!!!! You should have seen my wife's face. First time out and it's recognised. This guy used to fly Tigers out of Kidlington in the 1950's and had owned one. We talked for about a pint or two about various RAF stations. Bloody Hell!!! All because of a jacket. He's turning his house upside down to find his.
Amnesia

aswatland

Amnesia said:
Sorry I can't do any images. This sites needs a URL and short of just attaching things.... Anyway the original image is above.
Well I took the beastie for a walk yesterday. My wife and I went for a drink in the local and an old guy (well older than me) came up to me and asked if it was genuine!!!! You should have seen my wife's face. First time out and it's recognised. This guy used to fly Tigers out of Kidlington in the 1950's and had owned one. We talked for about a pint or two about various RAF stations. Bloody Hell!!! All because of a jacket. He's turning his house upside down to find his.
Amnesia

You could use a picture hosting site such as Photobucket and attach pictures from it. Its how most people post pics here. I glad your Irvin was noticed and not mistaken for a modern repro. Excellent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats