Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Springsteen

I suppose this is an Irvin Springsteen is wearing in the
NYT today?

pare_450.1.jpg

Windsock

A-List Customer
ethanedwards said:
....heat must be shocking, we have between 0 and 2 deg C at the moment, I'm wearing my Aero B3, don't want to get the Irvin wet in the snow............ Anyone got an original soaked in a downpour? Was there any lasting damage?
Rich, where I am the weather is sublime really for most of the year- unless you have a jacket fettish. It's the sub-tropics and a long way from Melbourne- here're the averages;
-Summer Mean temperature: 24.80 C,Max average temperature: 29.20 C, Min average temperature: 20.40 C
- Winter Mean temperature: 15.60 C Max average temperature: 21.20 C Min average temperature: 10.10 C.
Winter's perfect for an A-2, but we don't get large variations so heavy coats not required. I'm just into them for the history.

I'll probably have that discussion with my neighbour about his "Irvin" this winter, I think it's even got pockets:eek:. I didn't and would never let my original get wet, i'm sure it wouldn't be good for it.

Andrew, great post on the ELC's but I can't get over the build of the plastic ended zip- it's not at all in keeping with the quality of the jacket.

Windsock

A-List Customer
feltfan said:
I suppose this is an Irvin Springsteen is wearing in the
NYT today?

No, wrong collar and strap, windflap, cuffs, shape etc. It looks a bit B-3ish but it's probably just a one off pattern.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
In order to give FL members some pictures to compare Irvin repros, I have tried to take the same pics as Andrew of my two Irvin repros.

First the WPG (What Price Glory)

Irvindokumentation005.jpg

Irvindokumentation006.jpg

Irvindokumentation008.jpg

Irvindokumentation010.jpg

The ALC (Aviation Leather Craft):
It's worth mentioning, that I had it especially made in a lighter fleece, than they normally make them.

Irvindokumentation011.jpg

Irvindokumentation012.jpg

Irvindokumentation013.jpg

Irvindokumentation014.jpg

Now you can all compare and judge for yourself.
All we need now is an Aero Irvin repro - anybody got one?
I too believe that the ELC is the best repro - while the WPG is the best alternative if you look at the finances.

aswatland

Thanks for posting your pics Soren. Both jackets are decent repros. Shame the ALC jacket is not a chestnut brown, but some of the early 30s Irvin were nearly as dark as this one. The WPG Irvin appears to be based on a Wareings Irvin. Here are two pics of my 1941-2 original by this maker for comparison.

Picture005a.jpg

Picture006a.jpg

aswatland

Spitfire said:
Andrew, the thing that really strikes me with the Wearing Irvin, is how high up the belt is placed.
ALC did certainly not get that right.

Soren, well observed about the belt. I have seen Wareings Irvins with the belt placed a little lower, similar to your WPG jacket.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
The ALC (Aviation Leather Craft):
It's worth mentioning, that I had it especially made in a lighter fleece, than they normally make them.

Soren, I was looking at the ALC website last evening, and they now offer a lighter weight Irvin. Maybe they had enough requests such as yours that they decided to make a lighter weight Irvin a regular stock item.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
KilroyCD said:
Soren, I was looking at the ALC website last evening, and they now offer a lighter weight Irvin. Maybe they had enough requests such as yours that they decided to make a lighter weight Irvin a regular stock item.

Are you sure - I could not find a lightweight Irvin when I looked. They do however produce a lightweight "flyingjacket" with pockets and no belt....isn't that the one?
That's the one I saw back then, and asked them if they could do an Irvin in that light fleece for me. Which they did.
A very nice "Irvin" that is.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Are you sure - I could not find a lightweight Irvin when I looked. They do however produce a lightweight "flyingjacket" with pockets and no belt....isn't that the one?
That's the one I saw back then, and asked them if they could do an Irvin in that light fleece for me. Which they did.
A very nice "Irvin" that is.
They list a jacket on their site as a "Lightweight Irvin Flying Jacket". I see that it does have pockets, but no belt. http://www.flying-jacket.com/product-details.aspx?id=2
Here's what they say about it:
"Leslie Irvin didn’t make a lightweight sheepskin flying jacket, but if he had, we’d like to think he’d have made it just like the one we make in his name. The Irvin Lightweight Flying Jacket is essentially the same as the original: it uses the same high quality materials, it benefits from heavy brass zips, overlocked and bound seams, and it’s made with the same care and attention. However the differences are that we use a lighter weight sheepskin, the jacket does not have the zips in the sleeves, nor does it have the waist belt with Irvin buckle. This jacket is perfect for motoring and everyday use.
This jacket includes the exclusive Irvin Lightweight label."

IMHO, if it doesn't have a belt or the sleeve zips, it's not an Irvin.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
KilroyCD said:
They list a jacket on their site as a "Lightweight Irvin Flying Jacket". I see that it does have pockets, but no belt. http://www.flying-jacket.com/product-details.aspx?id=2
Here's what they say about it:
"Leslie Irvin didn’t make a lightweight sheepskin flying jacket, but if he had, we’d like to think he’d have made it just like the one we make in his name. The Irvin Lightweight Flying Jacket is essentially the same as the original: it uses the same high quality materials, it benefits from heavy brass zips, overlocked and bound seams, and it’s made with the same care and attention. However the differences are that we use a lighter weight sheepskin, the jacket does not have the zips in the sleeves, nor does it have the waist belt with Irvin buckle. This jacket is perfect for motoring and everyday use.
This jacket includes the exclusive Irvin Lightweight label."

IMHO, if it doesn't have a belt or the sleeve zips, it's not an Irvin.

You are so right Kilroy.
But it makes a much better Irvin - better in daily use and closer to the original - if they make it in the light fleece, they use on this "motoring jacket".
I know. I had one made. The one pictured above.
As you know, their traditional Irvin tends to be VERY WARM, very thick and very heavy.

Jabos

A-List Customer
This winter in Oklahoma we really just had one period of terrible snow, ice, and wind. While standing in the blowing sleet watching the kids sledding with my WPG tied up tight around my face and a duck hunting cap on-and still freezing-it occurred to me I would love to have a costal command jacket with that big, luxurious hood around my noggin. Have any makers reproduced a costal command? I wish Eastman would, but perhaps there just wouldn't be the demand.

John Lever

One Too Many
Eastman 1944 pattern Irvin

A short review of my Eastman 1944 pattern Irvin. They are not advertised on their site, but are available to those who ask for them. They are made from the left over pieces after the BoB have been made.
The hide is a very pleasing mid brown, is very matt and also very soft. The wool colour is the best yet from Eastman, a warm caramel/honey with just a slight curl.
The fit is the same as the other versions and the panels are not too over the top.
Great jacket, great pattern, buy one.
IMGP2738.jpg

IMGP2737.jpg

IMGP2739.jpg

IMGP2740.jpg

IMGP2741.jpg

IMGP2742.jpg

IMGP2744.jpg

IMGP2745.jpg

IMGP2746.jpg

IMGP2743.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Great looking jacket, John. I've longest been a fan of the early pattern Irvin, with the fewst number of panels, but these later war type have really grown on me. Ironically, I think that I prefer these and the two-piece back models over those that came in between... It's something about the look of those triangular pieces in the chest, I think....

Is there a further drop in price for this pattern?

aswatland

As I have said elsewhere this is a great jacket John. It is one of the best Irvin repros from ELC. Why does it have the elastic collar strap, which was not fitted to this style of late war Irvin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot