Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Edward, I agree it could be very interesting to see a review on the top repro jackets. But there is only one man - in my opinion - who can do this. And only one way, he ca do it. I'll be happy to bring my Aces High Irvin repro to London next time and let Andrew have a thorough look at it.
If somebody else would let him have a look at the newest AERO and ELC Irvins as well, I guess it could be done. If Andrew is up to it, that is.
It's got to be a one mans job - if we all chime in with how great our jackets are, it would not work. We need knowledge here - and not bad excuses on why we bought this or that jacket. If you get my drift...?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I guess the thing is when you've get somebody like Jon upping the ante in terms of labour, research, and materials, then charging commensurately - and rightly so - it kind of breaks the ceiling in terms of price and quality, so the others up their game to try and keep up, but their price goes up with it. Ultimately, if people are willing to thole the rise in cost then the market will sustain it. [huh]

Edward

Bartender
Edward, I agree it could be very interesting to see a review on the top repro jackets. But there is only one man - in my opinion - who can do this. And only one way, he ca do it. I'll be happy to bring my Aces High Irvin repro to London next time and let Andrew have a thorough look at it.
If somebody else would let him have a look at the newest AERO and ELC Irvins as well, I guess it could be done. If Andrew is up to it, that is.
It's got to be a one mans job - if we all chime in with how great our jackets are, it would not work. We need knowledge here - and not bad excuses on why we bought this or that jacket. If you get my drift...?

I think Andrew's certainly up to it, though whether he's up for it... ;)

I agree that what would be of use would be an objective comparison between repros and an original or two. Of course everyone has their own personal favourites, which will be influenced by a lot of factors - I think for me the key issues will always be (in no particular order) fit, durability, overall practicality as a garment, price (alas - would that this didn't matter), and accuracy. A good solid comparison of the merits of each would, in my opinion, allow the reader to buy which ever suited their own needs best - whether that be the cheapest reasonable repro, the most durable (bearing in mind that for some of us if it can't cut it as a regular-wear garment, it isn't an option), the most historically accurate, or the possibility of a custom fit (I can see where the latter two might conflict, for example, for a buyer of a very non-standard size... do you compromise for accuracy to what you'd have ended up with in wartime, or do you go for the custom fit? Personal choice...). It'd be nice to see that on here as a resource, though I know it'd be very time consuming to put together, and may be time-limited. For instance, such a review written six years ago wouldn't have an Aces High in it, so might come to a different conclusion about "the most accurate" than in the wider field we now have, or it might have come to a very different conclusion on the Aero offerings, which if not as accurate as some others in certain minutiae, certainly seem to be much more accurate than they were until recently.

I'd offer my own ELC 42 pattern for comparison (though I'm sure Andrew already has one!), on the proviso that it's a few years old and I don't know for certain whether they have varied the pattern at all. (Also a good excuse to finally catch up for a beer...).

I guess the thing is when you've get somebody like Jon upping the ante in terms of labour, research, and materials, then charging commensurately - and rightly so - it kind of breaks the ceiling in terms of price and quality, so the others up their game to try and keep up, but their price goes up with it. Ultimately, if people are willing to thole the rise in cost then the market will sustain it. [huh]

That's the acceptable face of capitalism, I suppose! It's also true that perceived value is a factor in play. It's a thing of legend in guitar playing circles that back in the Eighties, there was a period when Gibson were struggling to sell Les Pauls. A new CEO doubled the price: perceived value of the guitars shot up, and sales rapidly recovered. There are many similar examples... Ultimately, prices will only rise to what the market will bear, though it is possible that over time the Irvin repro market will come to be like that for A2s - several companies making quality repros, with the price rising exponentially as the minutiae increases in accuracy, each price band with its own niche market.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A little montage for my new Irvin next its parent (with thanks to CLaD). It's completed but still at Aero, so hopefully will get over there to pick it up later this week. I think Bertie and Ken have excelled themselves with this one:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
A little montage for my new Irvin next its parent (with thanks to CLaD). It's completed but still at Aero, so hopefully will get over there to pick it up later this week. I think Bertie and Ken have excelled themselves with this one:

Looking good Sloan. Aero has upped their game with their Irvins. You're in for a lovely jacket.

Just what you need for that Scottish winter ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Smithy! I think we can safely say the ghost of the tubular arms is exorcised! :D And the way weather's heading over here at the moment, it looks as if it's going be getting a lot of wear very soon.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Smithy! I think we can safely say the ghost of the tubular arms is exorcised! :D And the way weather's heading over here at the moment, it looks as if it's going be getting a lot of wear very soon.

If it's anything like Norway when I got mine you'll be living in it for a few months.

You'll be like a kid at Christmas mate!

Wear it well buddy ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Quick question I LOVE Spitty's ole "tube sleeved" Aero BUT the dang sleeves too long. Any "decent" leather seamstress should be able to shorten the sleeves a couple of inches right? Or do the zippered sleeves present a problem? Thanks in advance.

Worf

PS.... Sloan you lucky dog!!!

Edward

Bartender
Pardon my bad english: Of course I meant if Andrew is up for it...I know he can do it.

Heh, I knew what you meant, I just couldn't resist a little tease. Besisdes, you should see my (actually wholly non-existent) Danish... ;)

This looks really nice. I much prefer the panel layout over the "Union Flag" prototype from April. To my eye, it looks good next to the original. Be interesting to see it in a year orf two when you've knocked the shine off and it has naturally developed a little patina of its own.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Congrats on your new Irvin, Sloan. It sure looks like AERO's got the hang of it now. Great fleece too!!!
Just in time for the fall and winter, which just might be just as nice for Irvins as ours over here. Wear the hell out of it and get rid of the shine and you'll be one lucky fellow.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
@ Warf, do not mean to knock your jacket, sir. I think Spitty's jacket has gained a cachet that takes it beyond the run-of-the-mill! :D Have you tried rolling the end of the sleeves? I understand that was the common practice at the time - but thank you for the praise.
@lewisskimonster Thanks! I think it's great that Aero have not just produced a repro-ed an Irvin, but done something that that the other big makers do - surely that's what the FL etc is all about?
@Edward, the real fun will start once I've got it - hell that original has 70-odd years on me, but I should add that the camera emphasises the orange-ness of that jacket. Here's a pic that's a touch closer colour-wise: .
@ simonc, I like the cut of your jib, a black Irvin would be a thing of beauty!
@ spitfire, you're absolutely right. More choice, more variety. Everyone's a winner. Bring on the rubbish weather! :D

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sloan you weren't knocking anything that I know of... I know Spitty's ole Aero Pre-War isn't perfect, didn't expect it to be. I'd sltill like to get the sleeves shortened. I don't wear the Irvin for fashion anyway... just plain ole freeze mah butt off protection. YOUR Irvin on the other hand is a goat of a different flavor! That thing is purty! Can't wait to see you in all your satorial, if you know what I mean.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner