Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All things Sewing Machines!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm a big believer in older machines -- the advantages in simplicity and durability really make a difference, I think, especially if you're just starting out. My best advice would be, if you're going with a vintage machine, is to stick with a well-known make -- you can't go wrong with a vintage Singer, for example. Manuals for most models they've made in the last hundred years can be found on their website, and parts and attachments are still very common and very inexpensive. If you keep your eyes open, you can probably find a good pre-war Singer 66 for less than $30. Singer Featherweights are nice if you can find them, but they've been driven to ridiculous price levels by the quilter crowd, so if you're looking for a smaller vintage machine, try a Singer 99.

BoPeep

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Singer Featherweights are nice if you can find them, but they've been driven to ridiculous price levels by the quilter crowd, so if you're looking for a smaller vintage machine, try a Singer 99.

My mother is part of that quilter crowd. lol She has two Featherweights with manuals, accessories and the folding table (has a cut-out in the top to drop the machine in). She takes them to quilt classes. That may be why I've got the 99 for when I do quilt classes!

:eek:fftopic: Lizzie, if you're ever in the Midwest, let's get together for that cup of coffee. Between fridge gaskets, Fels Naptha and Singer, we'll never lack for conversation! lol

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
That's why I got my first Singer 99. For quilt classes. All the same accessories fit the 99 as the featherweight. I can honestly see the value of the featherweight in what you have to carry. They're much lighter but the cost is much higher. I still muscle around the 99. They do make an excellent stitch.

BoPeep

Practically Family
My husband just picked up another 99 for $35 at a local shop. He wants to set it up for sewing leather (new seat for the motorcycle and roadster). If it won't handle leather, we've at least got a back-up parts machine for mine.

59Lark

Practically Family
201 heavy duty singer

if you want to sew leather look for a 201 k its one for sewing leather , canvas etc can not stress again how strong durable these machines will walk over a 99k anyday. I have sewed moose hide with one of those with a size18 nadel. The machine is the finest straight stitch singer evermade with the 15 88 or 15 91 coming second. 59LARK SINGER MECHANIC AND DEALER SINCE GERALD FORD WAS PRESIDENT. :eek:fftopic:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BoPeep said:
:eek:fftopic: Lizzie, if you're ever in the Midwest, let's get together for that cup of coffee. Between fridge gaskets, Fels Naptha and Singer, we'll never lack for conversation! lol
And this is why I keep coming back to the Lounge.

lareine

A-List Customer
59Lark said:
if you want to sew leather look for a 201 k its one for sewing leather , canvas etc can not stress again how strong durable these machines will walk over a 99k anyday.
I love my 201K! But mine is one of the old black ones, not the slightly newer slanted ones. Do you know if there is any difference in strength between the different styles?

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
My first machine, which will continue to live at my parents house until Fiancé and I buy our first place, was a 1953 or 1954 Singer that my grandparents bought me when I was 9. It's a great machine.

I acquired a Bernina when I started college, as I needed something with more portability. And this is what I've done most of my sewing on for the last 5 or so years.

Recently I inherited an old Kenmore (probably early to mid fifties) that belonged to my best friend's late grandmother. I need to get it into the shop for a tune up, because years of sedentary lifestyle has caused her to be quite sluggish, and I would love an opportunity to use all of the great assorted feet that came with her.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Oooo Annichen you have the twin of my baby there!!

(I think I may have posted the story of my baby elsewhere... I won't repeat.... but she is my bestest-beloved of the five machines I have.... cos she's indestructible....)

Have to say that I would go with starting with a hand crank every time, cos they don't run away with you in the same way as electric ones do when you're first starting out - especially if like me you were brought up with cries of "mind your fingers!" every time you set foot near an electric machine.
On the other hand it depends entirely what you were planning to sew as it gets to be a real bind cranking the handle on long straight pieces of fabric or hems... but if you're using heavy material it's really helpful to be able to "feel" the machine working so you don't force it to do anything it's not designed for. (Says Kit who has killed the tracking on three electric machines in 5 years by making curtains!)

BoPeep

Practically Family
Just picked up this buttonholer for $5. Can anyone date it for me? It's covered with patent numbers but that's it. Thanks!

IMG_2489.jpg

lareine

A-List Customer
BoPeep said:
Just picked up this buttonholer for $5. Can anyone date it for me? It's covered with patent numbers but that's it. Thanks!
I'd venture a guess at late 1940s, but I think those were made for quite a while and I don't know if you can pin down an exact date of manufacture. Have you used one of those buttonholers before? They are so easy to use, and give perfect buttonholes every time. I wouldn't be without mine :)

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks lareine. I've never used one before. But I do have the zigzag attachment and use it rarely. That crazy contraption jumps your fabric all over the place! If the fabric is too light or too heavy, the stitches are awful. But when since my machine only does straight lines, I'm at the mercy of attachments! lol

lareine

A-List Customer
BoPeep said:
Thanks lareine. I've never used one before. But I do have the zigzag attachment and use it rarely. That crazy contraption jumps your fabric all over the place! If the fabric is too light or too heavy, the stitches are awful. But when since my machine only does straight lines, I'm at the mercy of attachments! lol
I can't make my zig zagger behave either. I tried a couple of times then gave up :( But the buttonholer is a dream to use. Just pick your size, pop in the template, fit it on, and zoom around the buttonhole a couple of times (I think going round twice gives a much nicer effect).

The buttonholer and ruffler are my two favourite attachments, and I jump at any excuse to use either of them lol

59Lark

Practically Family
zig zagger attachments

There was at least three kinds of zig zaggers, from the basic to the middle to the deluxe and the deluxe took leads cams and didnt different designs. But the basic defect of the zig zagger was that it worked on the same principle of the buttonholer of its moving the fabric so this gadget swings your fabric side to side problem nothing light it will wrinkle and eat it and have you ever tried to sew on the edge of a piece of fabric as it winging from side to side. Buttonholers worked much better. That buttonholer is probably from forties to fifties by sixties the lead cams were replaced by plastic ones and the cases switched to all hard plastic cases and the outer housing was not black metal but cream plastic. sorry for this intrustion did not see the ladies only sign, as i live and breath sewing machine for thirty years and have two hundred in my basement its hard to resist. 59LARK:eusa_clap :eek:fftopic:

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks lareine and 59lark. I'll give the buttonholer a try. Every so often I pull out the zigzagger as I'd love to have little trees stitched on the hem of my gingham aprons. lol I have three (or four?) cams that just beg to be used but alas they never make it past the "test" stage and onto the real garment.

59lark Let me know when you're going to have that blowout sale of your 200 machines!

Geesie

Practically Family
I have one of those buttonholers and it is great! It's really a nifty piece of engineering, overcoming the limitations of the straight-stitch machine to make what are pretty decent buttonholes. Need to get those extra cams, though.

I also have a Singer zig-zag attachment and I concur that it's pretty hit-or-miss. I've gotten good results from it, and I've gotten broken thread and bunching and a horrible mess. [huh]

And remember - even with an electric motor, you can still turn the wheel by hand if you need to. I just took in a couple pairs of jeans and the motor just wasn't up to the task, but slowly turning by hand got it done.

5panellady

New in Town
Hi Ladies. I am new to the world of sewing hats and I have been researching the best sewing machine for business purposes. I need a machine that can sew through most any material for vintage hat making including a bill. Singer recommended some very expensive industrial grade machines because one of them has some kind of steam wand for finishing the hat and helping it to keep shape. Do any of you have any suggestions? It is for a small business so I don't mind spending a bit more, but something under $2,500 would sure be nice! Thanks so much :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner