Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All things Sewing Machines!

Apparently the Baroness has just found a Singer Model 12 fiddlebase at the Holloway Road council tip. Brochure dates it to 1890. Hope it's functional. At least there's one remaining that didn't go into an All Saints window display.

all-saints-singer-style.jpg

bk

Flicka

One Too Many
I'd venture a guess at late 1940s, but I think those were made for quite a while and I don't know if you can pin down an exact date of manufacture. Have you used one of those buttonholers before? They are so easy to use, and give perfect buttonholes every time. I wouldn't be without mine :)

That looks brilliant. How do you use it and are they still made? I've never seen one aroynd here, vintage or otherwise.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Apparently the Baroness has just found a Singer Model 12 fiddlebase at the Holloway Road council tip. Brochure dates it to 1890. Hope it's functional. At least there's one remaining that didn't go into an All Saints window display.bk
Must look up All Saints. My wife went to school just down the road from there. If your Singer, model 12 has a bobbin that goes into a race, chances are it won't take much to get it working. Just a good clean up, getting rid of dust and lint. The only problem that occurred with those machines were the upper and lower tensions.You know from the appearance of the stitches if you have a tension problem. It's not difficult to fix. It's just a question of finding the tensioners, then it's a case of trial and error until you get it right.
But if the machine has a shuttle, like this one:

Then you might find it a tad more difficult to get it going. Might be best to ask an expert. By the way, Kay & Co were the forerunner of Kays mailorder, now part of a bigger conglomerate. Kay's actually had their transfer on a Singer Sewing Machine. They didn't even try to hide the fact. Here's that machine's instruction manual:

We have eight machines, four antiques, two semi modern, one overlocker and one brand new, all singing all dancing, with all conceivable gizmos, whistles and bells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner