Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Pompidou

One Too Many
I wear hats everywhere except people's houses, for the most part, (and restaurants of a certain caliber, but certainly not all of them) though I do break that rule about as often as I follow it. If I've already made the choice to wear a hat somewhere, I'll indeed wear it in said bathroom. Must be crazy. :p I suppose my only unviolable rule is not wearing it to bed, because it'd either get ruined, or I'd hurt my neck straining to keep it from bearing any weight that would ruin it.

Boxytheboxed

New in Town
I have an odd circumstance, and I'm not sure if wearing my fedora would be kosher. I was voted for senior homecoming court (I'm a boss i know), and I'm expected to ride on some fancy car across the football field at halftime with my lovely date. Would it be rude to wear the hat while riding on the car next to her? I think in the football field its probably ok, but I just wanted to make sure.

One Too Many
There are spots in the internet to find out on this. Try this one on for size:

There are two degrees of politeness demonstrated by a gentleman wearing a hat:
1.Lifting or tipping it, which you generally do for strangers.
2.Taking it off, which you generally do for friends (or in some cases, as a sign of patriotism or reverence).
Both are done as a sign of respect toward the other and dignity toward oneself.

Tipping your hat is a conventional gesture, done by barely lifting it off your head with your right hand (or the left hand if the right hand is occupied): By the crown of a soft hat, or the brim of a stiff one. Your cigarette, pipe or cigar should always be taken out of your mouth before removing or tipping your hat. This is a subtle gesture that should not be confused with bowing.

A man takes off his hat outdoors (and indoors):
(1) when he is being introduced to someone, or when saying goodbye to a woman, elder, friend or ;
(2) as a greeting when passing someone he knows, particularly a lady, on the street (In some cases, tipping or lifting a hat and bowing slightly may be used as a substitute for removing a hat, as a passing gesture);
(3) while talking, particularly with a woman, an older man, or a clergyman;
(4) while the National Anthem is being played, or the American Flag is passing;
(5) at a funeral or in the presence of a passing funeral procession,
(6) when speaking to another of a virtuous woman or a dearly departed loved one.

A man tips or lifts his hat:
(1) when walking with a friend who passes a woman only the friend knows;
(2) any time a lady who is a stranger thanks you for some service or assistance;
(3) any time you excuse yourself to a woman stranger, such as if you accidentally disturb or jostle her in a crowd, or when you ask for pardon when passing in a tight space or when forced to walk between two people that are conversing, particularly if one is a woman;
(4) any time a stranger shows courtesy to a woman you are accompanying, such as when a man or woman picks up something she has dropped, or a man opens a door for her or gives her his seat;
(5) when you ask a woman (or an elderly man) for directions.

Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, court room or restaurant) except:
(1) in public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;
(2) in the main parlor area of a saloon or general store;
(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;
(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;
(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;
(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.

If in doubt, it is best for a gentleman to remove his hat indoors as soon as practical.
It is considered a sign of contempt and/or disrespect to leave your hat on when it would be proper to remove it. It is surprising how many people do not remove their hats for the National Anthem or a passing funeral procession.. a shame really..
Every time is good to remeber courtesy when using hat. Cheers ¡¡¡¡¡

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have an odd circumstance, and I'm not sure if wearing my fedora would be kosher. I was voted for senior homecoming court (I'm a boss i know), and I'm expected to ride on some fancy car across the football field at halftime with my lovely date. Would it be rude to wear the hat while riding on the car next to her? I think in the football field its probably ok, but I just wanted to make sure.

I am inclined to say that it is fine, because you are in the open air, but the fact that you will be in a car with your date (technically) does confuse things a bit.

If one of the people who is better than me at finding old photos could find stuff from parades where you have the mayor of a town in the back of a convertible, I think that would give the answer.

Rat Pack

One of the Regulars
It is surprising how many people do not remove their hats for the National Anthem or a passing funeral procession.. a shame really..

Didn't I read recently that veterans are now supposed to keep their hat on and salute during the national anthem?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am inclined to say that it is fine, because you are in the open air, but the fact that you will be in a car with your date (technically) does confuse things a bit.

If one of the people who is better than me at finding old photos could find stuff from parades where you have the mayor of a town in the back of a convertible, I think that would give the answer.

Everybody wears their hats in the cars.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here

BE029231.jpg

Ticker Tape Parade For Truman
Original caption: 10/24/1949-New York, NY: President Truman is showered with ticker tape as his car passes down 34th Street in New York on the way to the cornerstone-laying ceremony at the U.N. permanent headquarters, Oct. 24. The occasion also marks the fourth anniversary of the United Nations. The President spoke on foreign policy during the outdoor plenary session at 42nd Street and Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive.

Corbis Images

Point your attention to the hat Truman has removed for the sake of waving. Yes, wearing a hat in car during a parade, with or without your honey, is acceptable.

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
I'm glad that legislation was passed. I always felt funny not saluting the flag during the national anthem or as a color guard passed during a parade. It felt as if I wasn't doing something I knew I was supposed to be doing.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I am surprised (and saddened) how many people do not put their hand over the heart (or are disrespectful in other ways) during the playing of the national anthem.

I am surprised (and saddened) how many people do not put their hand over the heart (or are disrespectful in other ways) during the playing of the national anthem.

Same here about men & boys at football games that don't remove their caps...guess exposing hat hair is too embarassing over showing respect to the flag that so many sacrificed for...

I'm a scout leader. We've got some good kids. You ought to see the way older boys will school younger ones if they aren't showing proper respect for the flag.

I am one as well & our older boys show the least interest at every meeting opening. We retire flags on a regular basis, so they are well schooled in what it represents but we have to constantly remind them to stand at attention when the colors come forward & properly salute. Seemed like they would get better with the years but they seem to be bored by it all...

hag

New in Town
Thanks, Andy. my mother ruined one of my straw hats snatching it off my head when I wore it indoors. If in the house was bad, at the table was worse. The "ballcappers" wearing theirs while dining just represents the generalized lack of civility in the 21st century.

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
I am one as well & our older boys show the least interest at every meeting opening. We retire flags on a regular basis, so they are well schooled in what it represents but we have to constantly remind them to stand at attention when the colors come forward & properly salute. Seemed like they would get better with the years but they seem to be bored by it all...

That's a shame. Even bored, it's good they're in scouting.

xwray

Familiar Face
C44Antelope and gtdean48...out of curiosity would y'all mind stating what state (and if a big state which part) you live in. I know it's a huge generalization but I'm thinking it has to do with the values passed on to their children by their parents and I'm further thinking that it may relate to the part of the country they are being raised in?

C44Antelope and gtdean48...out of curiosity would y'all mind stating what state (and if a big state which part) you live in. I know it's a huge generalization but I'm thinking it has to do with the values passed on to their children by their parents and I'm further thinking that it may relate to the part of the country they are being raised in?

My troop is in north Metro Atlanta, GA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran