• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Canadave, Apr 2, 2004.

1. "The Whole Ten Yards"

Anyone see these pics yet? I like the hat...know what it is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David

2. Nathan Flowers

Nathan Flowers Head Bartender Staff Member

I can't see the detail on it really well, but it looks to me to be a Milan straw hat. The ribbon looks vintage, but I have seen hats from Baron's that use ribbons like that as well. I wouldn't doubt if Baron's did it.

Here's mine. It's currently getting cleaned and reblocked (in a slightly different shape) so it'll be ready for the summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Art Fawcett

Art Fawcett Sponsoring Affiliate

You may be right Zohar, but this one REALLY looks vintage 1960s. The straw takes on that golden look with age and this one has it!!

4. Nathan Flowers

You're right, it could possibly be with that patina. :)

5. Andykev

Andykev My Mail is Forwarded Here Bartender

Clean and Block already?

You just got that hat! How come it needs a cleaning already? I can understand the reblock.....hummmm dusty conditons on the winter shelf, perhaps?;)

6. I think that hat on Bruce looks lame. I don't like the crown at all. It looks like a woman's hat.

7. Don't hold back... tell us how you really feel.

It is an aquired look that I can't pull off. But it is still a look.

I myself think he looks better in this hat.

[​IMG]

8. Nathan Flowers

I think I got it back in May, and I wore the heck out of it all last summer because it was my only straw. That was my first Optimo.

9. Art Fawcett

WOW MATT!!!! How did you get that picture? It's my hat!! The original title to this movie was "Gangster" but if I remember correctly they changed it to "Last Man Standing" Am I correct?

10. Last man standing, correct.

I'm good good at searching the web for pics... and had it sitting on my computer for a while though don't remember where it is from.

Is that a new hat or a vintage?

11. Art Fawcett

It is a vintage that i renovated and rented to the film. TOO COOL!!!

12. Unlike MK, I like Bruce's...and yours (especially with the brim flipped up all the way around)! Where can I get one like it? (I searched on Baron's Hats, but couldn't find a web site.

D

13. Nathan Flowers

14. Fedora

Fedora Vendor

To each his own I guess. I don't like stingy brimmed hats. They all look comical to me, almost a caricature of a real hat. No offense. I will take a broad brim, tall crown fedora any day of the week and twice on Sunday. :D The stingy brimmed hats do look right nice on circus clowns though. ;) :D Fedora

15. Hmmm, circus clowns...or me, right? :D

None taken.

D

16. We all wear hats for fashion as well as function.
    If we were wearing hats purely for function they would have 3 1/2" brims and a short short crown height with a bound edge to keep the brim sturdy

[​IMG]

If we were wearing them for fashion alone we would be wearing Devo hats, or this

[​IMG]

17. Andykev

Andykev My Mail is Forwarded Here Bartender

It's all a matter of taste.

Not my style, but Frank Sinatra looked great in his stingy brim.

18. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Oh Matt, you are a funnnnnnnnnnnny MAN!

That trucker hat was the best! I had hats like that in the 80's! Man, did they look bad on me!

Thanks for bringing a big laugh to my day bro!

Cheers.

19. Fedora

Fedora Vendor

You have a good nature Canadave, and no offense meant. Actually, now that I think of it, Carlos Santana looks pretty cool with his stingy brimmed hats. I never liked Sinatra's choice, although some have said a wider brimmed fedora would have looked funny on such a thin fellow. That is a matter of opinion as most hard and fast hat rules miss the mark, IMHO. ;) If that were the case, only big men would wear western hats. I see lots of country and western singers, who are skinny, wearing those sombreros they call cowboy hats. I think old Blue eyes wore those small hats so you could see his face. Vanity thou name art..... LOL Fedora

20. Actually you probably had a cap like this in the 80's
    [​IMG]