Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Some of the hat etiquette differences in application stem from the origin of the rule of etiquette: to wear a hat and coat in someone's residence was to suggest that you came in ready to leave becuase they were not worthy of a visit. Hats worn for lengthy periods and as part of a uniform violated this rule even in earlier times.
I am a western hat wearer for the majority of my day and to remove it is to show a head of hair (whats left of it) in a most unattractive shape and is in my opinion more rude that to leave it on.
I tip my hat to ladies and I make a choice of hat removal in a restaurant or in someone's home based on observation or past experience.
A great number of people I know, and have known for a long time, will see me remove my hat and instruct me to put it back as I am not the "same person without a hat on".

I observe a different standardfor a fedora worn with dressy casual or business clothes. Fedoras are more typically worn as an accessory while outdoors as a protective device and not part of a uniform per se. Fedora off indoors almost 100%

If neither of these is a convincing enough argument then I will tell you that my 100X or 500x felt westerns cost a LOT more than any of my fedoras and ain't nobody gonna sit on one of 'em!!! so they will stay on my head more of the time.

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
I usually leave my fedora on in large public buidings and take it off in offices and courtrooms. I leave on in bars and off while dining. I was in Houston today in their Civil Court Building and left it on until I got to the elevator.

gdkenoyer

Familiar Face
suitedcboy said:
If neither of these is a convincing enough argument then I will tell you that my 100X or 500x felt westerns cost a LOT more than any of my fedoras and ain't nobody gonna sit on one of 'em!!!
oh-ho, no fair coming up with a practical excuse! ;)

Alucard73 said:
I usually leave my fedora on in large public buidings and take it off in offices and courtrooms. I leave on in bars and off while dining. I was in Houston today in their Civil Court Building and left it on until I got to the elevator.

Those are acceptable exceptions. I think public buildings were mentioned earlier though. An office is a more personal space and a courtroom is a place where it certainly doesn't belong.
Bars and lunch counters where there is no place to leave a hat safely are exempt. :D

Bingles

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
I'm now an adjunct professor of History at the local university, and I put a note in my syllabus that gentlemen are to remove their hats and caps while in the classroom, as that's a respectful tradition we WILL follow.

They grudgingly removed their caps on Monday, and I noticed today that I didn't have to remind them.

Brad

For my entire academic career (which has been lengthy!), I have ALWAYS removed my hat when class began. I was always taught if you had your hat on, it was a sign you were getting ready to leave. The professor deserves my full respect and attention, so therefore, the hat stays off. Since most ladies wear unisex hats now (how often does a lady pin on a hat to go to class?), I think they should take theirs off as well.

When I was student teaching, no student, regardless of sex was to have a hat or hoodie (with hood up) covering their heads. Period.

Justdog

Practically Family
Taking hat off

Not exactly etiquette but important none the less. I noticed on one of my ORs that sometimes there is a bit of a suction in the hat when it is worn. As the threads in the sweat that attaches to the felt body can be delicate after all this time I decided to remove the hat just by gently pushing both sides at the temple up. My hatter noticed the front threads were getting loose and suggested I remove the hat a bit more carefully. The sweat generally sticks a bit more at the front. Think that makes sense.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
My hat etiquette

A few weeks ago i went to the bank that i do business with to make a transaction. As i got out of my car the security guard asked me to remove my hat, i asked why and he said for security reasons and so the cameras could view me fully when i went in. I refused. A few words were exchanged and the branch manager came out and a few more words were exchanged, none that i can say on here, anyway i still do business there and wear my hat. The hat comes off in pvt settings and at resturant tables. You gotta take a stand sometimes.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Now that this thread has been resurrected... ;)

I have found some contradiction in hat etiquette interpretation. I'm not referring to any dark and rarely applicable/applied point, just one about common day use.

Some texts say you doff your hat to any acquitance, male or female, as an equivalent of saying "hello". Some texts say you only doff your hat at ladies - I have even read doffing your hat at a man can be taken as an insult. Could it be there are different local interpretations?

I know following hat etiquette in a world hats are not a common piece of wear can be a little difficult because people is no longer famliarized with it - it is typical friends asking me why I do not remove my hat inside any roofed space, for instance - confusion with military regulations plays a part in this, I believe (of course it is arguable if at least some of the hat etiquette may not be obsolete).

BTW, it is curious the hats you see most in wear (like Kangol soft hats, trilby-like modern contraptions and the like) are, usually, on the heads of people that do not follow any hat etiquette.

Regards

Justdog

Practically Family
Boxerken said:
A few weeks ago i went to the bank that i do business with to make a transaction. As i got out of my car the security guard asked me to remove my hat, i asked why and he said for security reasons and so the cameras could view me fully when i went in. I refused. A few words were exchanged and the branch manager came out and a few more words were exchanged, none that i can say on here, anyway i still do business there and wear my hat. The hat comes off in pvt settings and at resturant tables. You gotta take a stand sometimes.
:eusa_clap

MattJH

One Too Many
Whenever I see these hat etiquette threads, I immediately get the urge to take all of my hats and throw them in the garbage.

What's the big deal about taking your hat off for a security camera? Is it a sacrifice of your civil liberties or something?

First world problems.

Stoney

Practically Family
Justdog said:
I noticed on one of my ORs that sometimes there is a bit of a suction in the hat when it is worn. As the threads in the sweat that attaches to the felt body can be delicate after all this time I decided to remove the hat just by gently pushing both sides at the temple up.

Justdog,

That sounds like the seal on a mason jar. You aren't by chance a former Marine are you? lol

Just kidding you Marines! My Brother is a former Marine while I was a Navy guy.
We always had a lot of fun teasing each other.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
For me, it's off in a restaurant, movie theater, holy place - but it's on most of the rest of the time. The line at the bank doesn't merit removing my hat.

PLACEMENT
When I do remove it, I either put it on the table (usually brim down for a soft hat and crown down for a stiffer western, etc.) or a nearby chair. Failing that, it goes on my knee or on the foot of my leg that is crossed over the other.

HOLDING
When I have to hold a hat I usually do it by grasping around the brim with my left hand, on the right side of hat so my fingers are inside the crown on the sweatband and my thumb is lightly wrapped around the brim putting a little 'roll' into it.

CROWN PINCH
When I remove a hat it's generally by pinching the crown. I know, I know, you guys are totally right about that being rough on 'em and I have a couple straws and a couple felts (vintage) that are weakened from previous owners doing this. I do it anyway. I am not trying to hasten the destruction of these old hats but I won't make removing my hat a two-handed operation and I alternate among so many different hats that no one of them gets much mileage.

COURTESY
I 'tip' my hat to ladies all the time. I reach up with my right hand, and use my thumb and middle finger to grasp the crown and while bowing my head slightly and smiling I give the slightest little tug on the hat. Fridaynightgirl summed it up about the flattering feeling it seems to give to most ladies. It obviously surprises them a little but in a good way. I like that. I usually just nod to fellas or sometimes I'll just put my right index finger up straight in front of the brim, touch the brim with it and give a little mini-salute.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I am not so stuck on hat wearing that I wouldn't remove it for a security camera but if they were to ever hope to find me via use of captured footage they should allow me to leave it on so the image matches reality.
I don't protest removing my hat when I am instructed to do so in those settings but I do take issue with the request to pass it through x-ray at airport when I'm wearing a light colored hat.
The TSA folks have never made a big deal when I said I did not want to risk staining the hat and I would take it off and even roll sweatband when the officer needed to inspect so closely.

I love cowboy church, you leave your hat on except during prayers.

David V

A-List Customer
Stoney said:
Justdog,

That sounds like the seal on a mason jar. You aren't by chance a former Marine are you? lol

Just kidding you Marines! My Brother is a former Marine while I was a Navy guy.
We always had a lot of fun teasing each other.

I didn't think there was such a being as a "Former" Marine.

Torpedo

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
For me, it's off in a restaurant, movie theater, holy place - but it's on most of the rest of the time. The line at the bank doesn't merit removing my hat.

PLACEMENT
When I do remove it, I either put it on the table (usually brim down for a soft hat and crown down for a stiffer western, etc.) or a nearby chair. Failing that, it goes on my knee or on the foot of my leg that is crossed over the other.

...//...

COURTESY
I 'tip' my hat to ladies all the time. I reach up with my right hand, and use my thumb and middle finger to grasp the crown and while bowing my head slightly and smiling I give the slightest little tug on the hat. Fridaynightgirl summed it up about the flattering feeling it seems to give to most ladies. It obviously surprises them a little but in a good way. I like that. I usually just nod to fellas or sometimes I'll just put my right index finger up straight in front of the brim, touch the brim with it and give a little mini-salute.

I see we agree mostly. I do remove my hat is at the theather, or if in any place were it can restrict the visibility of those behind me (like in an outdoors event for instance).

PLACEMENT

I often bring a plastic bag in a pocket, so I can put the hat inside if the environment is risky or if there is a need to hang it from an improvised place (like under a restaurant table).

COURTESY

I like your suggestions to make a subtle but noticeable distinction between male and female "salute", I am going to adopt them shamelessly. ;) I agree people usually have a mild shock when you do these little courtesy things. Hey, even ceding the way of pass to ladies is often seen as inusual these days, let alone hat etiquette gestures.

As everything in hat wearing, the "secret" is to do it regularly and naturally. Then, they go past a (possible) initial impression that you are doing it as some kind of joke and understand you are serious about it. This is applicable, in general, to everything in hat wearing.

Delightful old-fashioned manners, as once I was told. I liked it. :D

Regards!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I generally remove my hat when I get into the classroom and sit down. I don't necessarily do this now as a sign of etiquette, but more as a courtesy for those sitting behind me, so that they don't have to try to see the instructor and lecture materials around my brim. This ideology also works in the theater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo