Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha G-1

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just ordered an Alpha G-1. Was looking for a black leather G-1 jacket in goatskin, and did not want to spend big $$$. This will complement my small collection, and plan to use it for travel, i.e., in a "beater" role.

Cost on Ebay was $310, including shipping. This is a brand new jacket with tags.

Anyone here have one of these?

Alpha G-1.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I'd be interested in the review. Do they currently produce, or just replicate, an issue G1? Tempted by the idea of one of those as a beater, similarly.... Didn't the black Alpha have some sort of thinsulate lining, or am I thinking of another model?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Maybe I'm missing the point, but why would anyone spend $300 on a fake G-1 to use as a 'beater', when you could get a good condition E-series from Ebay for $100?

Cocker

Practically Family
Maybe I'm missing the point, but why would anyone spend $300 on a fake G-1 to use as a 'beater', when you could get a good condition E-series from Ebay for $100?

Because I can't find any real stuff with sleeves long enough for me. Or if they are, it's a size I'll float in...

Edward

Bartender
Yip. Lack of decent sizes, variability in quality of later models, and such. (And stop trying to make it cheaper for me to do this! I'm relying on being skint to stop me buying anoter jacket I don't need!!!! :p )

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
As much as I love original flight jackets, I will admit there is at least one huge advantage in buying "off the rack" reproductions. If you don't like them, you can generally return them with very little hassle.

Depending on what specific model G-1 you compare it to, the Alpha appears to be an acceptable reproduction. Yes, the color is wrong, but it still has some advantages over the E-series originals. The Alpha is made of real goat (they are usually embossed cow) and it has a real mouton collar (they all have dynal).

Neither of these are minor considerations. Just as the cut of an A-1 only looks right when the jacket is made of cape, the cut of a G-1 (M-422) only looks right when the jacket is made from goat. You can get away with making an A-2 from cow (or steer) because cow and horse have essentially the same hand. But the drape of cowhide just doesn't yield itself well to the complex design of the G-1. Only goat will do.

And, of course, dynal collars feel fine...until you've felt real mouton.

I wish the Alpha was priced south of $300, but I understand that G-1s are difficult to make and, after all, the US Government pays at least $300 for the squeaky, cowhide G-1 facsimiles it now issues. So enjoy your Alpha, and please post a review after you've had chance to wear it for a while.

AF

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Alpha was the only place besides G&B that makes a G-1 in black goatskin. Of course, G&B would be my first choice (have their A-2), but did not want to spend $460.

Used (Ebay) is not an option. USWings has a nice looking G-1 for $195, and free shipping. But not in black.

I actually purchased an A-2 directly from Alpha a year ago. It was a nice jacket, goatskin. Had to send it back because of a minor flaw in the dying. Did not do an exchange, bought a Cockpit USA A-2 instead.

Will put up a full review with fotos after the G-1 arrives.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
As much as I love original flight jackets, I will admit there is at least one huge advantage in buying "off the rack" reproductions. If you don't like them, you can generally return them with very little hassle.

Depending on what specific model G-1 you compare it to, the Alpha appears to be an acceptable reproduction. Yes, the color is wrong, but it still has some advantages over the E-series originals. The Alpha is made of real goat (they are usually embossed cow) and it has a real mouton collar (they all have dynal).

Neither of these are minor considerations. Just as the cut of an A-1 only looks right when the jacket is made of cape, the cut of a G-1 (M-422) only looks right when the jacket is made from goat. You can get away with making an A-2 from cow (or steer) because cow and horse have essentially the same hand. But the drape of cowhide just doesn't yield itself well to the complex design of the G-1. Only goat will do.

And, of course, dynal collars feel fine...until you've felt real mouton.

I wish the Alpha was priced south of $300, but I understand that G-1s are difficult to make and, after all, the US Government pays at least $300 for the squeaky, cowhide G-1 facsimiles it now issues. So enjoy your Alpha, and please post a review after you've had chance to wear it for a while.

AF

You can find a nice G-1 at USWings for $195, free shipping. These are military copies, goatskin, but with mouton collar.You mentioned wrong color. I assume you refer to the black selection I made. Alpha makes these in the more traditional brown color also.

Just found an Alpha G-1 at the Army - Navy store for $249.95. Yes, that is correct...$249.95! And get this, FREE SHIPPING!

www.armynavyusa.com

g-1-leather-jacket.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
That looks like quite a deal on the Alpha. Here in London, Silvermans offer a "G1 Genuine Top Gun" jacket for GBP349 (about USD530). https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...UN+JACKET/0/SKU/4-190-11798-1583/Default.aspx I keep meaning to look in on the shop to check that out, out of curiosity. I'm intrigued as to whether the current issue is an old-school fit, given that it has been in constant production (more or less) since the War, or if the USN screwed it up like the USAF, imo, did the A2. They also still have the House-brand (GTH) "G1 USN Leather Jacket" - https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...LIGHT+JKT/0/SKU/4-190-11246-2403/Default.aspx - at GBP150 (USD225ish). Goatskin, with a faux fur collar. In addition, the website lists a "Mark 2" version of the GTH, at GBP200 (about USD300). https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...T+JKT+MK2/0/SKU/4-190-18132-3724/Default.aspx No text for this one, so it's not clear what the difference is. The hide looks better in the photo, more grain. Again, goat. I've seen these jackets hanging up in the shop, but never handled them. Visually at least they look nice. The shop has, very recently, moved into new premises where they have most of their jacket stock on display instead of behind the counter, so some time when I'm free in the week (they open only Mon-Fri 9-5 and a few hours on Sunday morning), I must drop in now that it's easier to go in for a look and a try on. Be interesting too to see if the "genuine" one they sell is a commercial version from a contract maker or if it has an issue label. Interesting shop.... They can be pricey (from 'a bit more' to 'taking the pee-pee') compared to other places if those places have the same thing, but they also have a lot of stock you won't see in other surplus stores. I've picked up a few nice accessories from them over the years. No black G1s, mind...

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
You can find a nice G-1 at USWings for $195, free shipping. These are military copies, goatskin, but with mouton collar.You mentioned wrong color. I assume you refer to the black selection I made. Alpha makes these in the more traditional brown color also.

Just found an Alpha G-1 at the Army - Navy store for $249.95. Yes, that is correct...$249.95. And get this, FREE SHIPPING!

www.armynavyusa.com

View attachment 25050

I've never owned a leather jacket made by Alpha, but I've sure owned a lot of Alpha nylon and Nomex. If this jacket is of the same quality as my other Alpha jackets, it would be incredibly difficult to beat at this price. While an original G-1 is still something to consider, to get goat and mouton in an original, you're talking about a jacket older than 1969. And a C-series (or older) original...in good condition...would most likely fetch more than 250 USD...especially in the larger sizes.

Just my humble two cents.

AF

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I briefly owned an Alpha leather coat...an A-2. It was remarkably soft, nicely made (Pakistan).

P1010085.jpg P1010083.jpg P1010079.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Pakistan has long been a manufacturing hub for fashion-leather goods. I remember back in the eighties there were a lot of leather coat stores, often run by folks from a Pakistani immigrant background (often first-generation settlers who had come over to run the business, having the right connections with the wholesalers and manufacturers). In my experience, Pakistani leathers are as good as anything else in the same price range. Inevitably when they're aimed at the budget end of the market corners get cut, but nonetheless I've seen some good stuff among it. As with any bargain-price goods, you do seem to find a fair bit of variation, and can weed out the better stuff with patience. Nothing on the level of Aero or LW or such, but certainly snapping at the heels of the big, mass-market brands. What, of course, I don't know is what the working environment or employment laws are like in the factories there. I do like to know, within reason, that my jackets have been produced by people paid a fair wage and with decent working environments. I'm not suggesting Pakistan doesn't have these, just that I don't know one way or the other.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Pakistan has long been a manufacturing hub for fashion-leather goods.

I just bought a '90s Wilsons Open Road...which is a Perfecto style MC jacket. Turns out it was made in Pakistan. But I can't complain a bit about its quality. It isn't made from the toughest steer or horse, and it probably wasn't made for the serious rider, but it is certainly as good as most of the Harley Davidson jackets I've seen for sale at our local Harley shop.

AF

Deacon211

One Too Many
That looks like quite a deal on the Alpha. Here in London, Silvermans offer a "G1 Genuine Top Gun" jacket for GBP349 (about USD530). https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...UN+JACKET/0/SKU/4-190-11798-1583/Default.aspx I keep meaning to look in on the shop to check that out, out of curiosity. I'm intrigued as to whether the current issue is an old-school fit, given that it has been in constant production (more or less) since the War, or if the USN screwed it up like the USAF, imo, did the A2. They also still have the House-brand (GTH) "G1 USN Leather Jacket" - https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...LIGHT+JKT/0/SKU/4-190-11246-2403/Default.aspx - at GBP150 (USD225ish). Goatskin, with a faux fur collar. In addition, the website lists a "Mark 2" version of the GTH, at GBP200 (about USD300). https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...T+JKT+MK2/0/SKU/4-190-18132-3724/Default.aspx No text for this one, so it's not clear what the difference is. The hide looks better in the photo, more grain. Again, goat. I've seen these jackets hanging up in the shop, but never handled them. Visually at least they look nice. The shop has, very recently, moved into new premises where they have most of their jacket stock on display instead of behind the counter, so some time when I'm free in the week (they open only Mon-Fri 9-5 and a few hours on Sunday morning), I must drop in now that it's easier to go in for a look and a try on. Be interesting too to see if the "genuine" one they sell is a commercial version from a contract maker or if it has an issue label. Interesting shop.... They can be pricey (from 'a bit more' to 'taking the pee-pee') compared to other places if those places have the same thing, but they also have a lot of stock you won't see in other surplus stores. I've picked up a few nice accessories from them over the years. No black G1s, mind...

I've never seen an Alpha leather jacket, but as I've said before, my wife's US Wings bargain basement $195 A-2 is really quite nice for the price. There's a sale currently on on many of their jackets if anyone is in the market for one. Sorry, no black.

Edward, as to the fit, I found my early '90s issue to be well cut, fairly recognizable from pics I've seen of other G-1s in the past. I actually stumbled on an old picture that I thought was lost the other day...

I recall this fitting pretty well.

Now my 2004 reissue I felt was pretty shapeless as I have stated countless times before. It just seems baggier in the waist. Size 48 here.

However, I might have a bit of a skewed perspective in that, as I've aged, my shoulders have gotten broader (I'd like to think it was muscle but.... ;) ) and so I've had to go up in size to get a decent fit across the back. So much so that this '70s Imperial in size 46 is too tight in the shoulders.

Still, I think that the Imperial is trimmer in the waist than the later Pharr. But that's hardly scientific since these three jackets are three different sizes and at least one I haven't owned for ten years.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Yes, USWings makes good stuff, and at less than 200 bucks, a real bargain. Throw in free shipping, you can't lose.

I have a Signature G-1 from USWings (Schott). Very, very nice. Had to order a size 44 on their recommendation. My normal size is 40R, maybe even a 38R.

Here is a photo of the Signature Series G-1, next to a G&B A-2: P1010018.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I'm interested to see what the Alpha jacket is like when it arrives. I was previously considering one of their leather CWU jackets, but I couldn't determine if the finish was a decent finished leather or whether it was a pre-distressed matte finish. Photos from Alpha and other internet sources show both!

KELORGO

New in Town
Pop's Leather makes quality G1s. You can get them custom made-to-measure in black or brown goatskin for $305. They come with removable real mouton collars. You can customize the jackets with zippered arm pockets and even with a full (arms and chest) removable Thinsulate liner. You can order one with military tailoring, without hand warmer pockets or with a more generous cut and hidden (as in can't seem 'em until you use them) hand warmer pockets. At 305, they are the best quality jacket G1 that I've seen. I have one in black calfskin with a zippered arm pocket and full removable Thinsulate liner. It's my favorite leather jacket and the quality is amazing. The jackets are made in Turkey just outside of what used to be one of our airbases. There is a US rep who is an airline pilot and F15 flyer as well. Good guy, but sometimes takes a little while to get back to you via email (his jobs keep him busy even when he's not deployed).

Link: www.popsleather.com/prod_v2.php3?prod=48&hs=ecpbdszv

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, Deacon. Looks like the fit hasn't changed significantly over time. A current issue moddl could be a good choice at the right price.

I've never seen an Alpha leather jacket, but as I've said before, my wife's US Wings bargain basement $195 A-2 is really quite nice for the price. There's a sale currently on on many of their jackets if anyone is in the market for one. Sorry, no black.

Edward, as to the fit, I found my early '90s issue to be well cut, fairly recognizable from pics I've seen of other G-1s in the past. I actually stumbled on an old picture that I thought was lost the other day...

I recall this fitting pretty well.

Now my 2004 reissue I felt was pretty shapeless as I have stated countless times before. It just seems baggier in the waist. Size 48 here.

However, I might have a bit of a skewed perspective in that, as I've aged, my shoulders have gotten broader (I'd like to think it was muscle but.... ;) ) and so I've had to go up in size to get a decent fit across the back. So much so that this '70s Imperial in size 46 is too tight in the shoulders.

Still, I think that the Imperial is trimmer in the waist than the later Pharr. But that's hardly scientific since these three jackets are three different sizes and at least one I haven't owned for ten years.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Pop's Leather makes quality G1s. You can get them custom made-to-measure in black or brown goatskin for $305. They come with removable real mouton collars. You can customize the jackets with zippered arm pockets and even with a full (arms and chest) removable Thinsulate liner. You can order one with military tailoring, without hand warmer pockets or with a more generous cut and hidden (as in can't seem 'em until you use them) hand warmer pockets. At 305, they are the best quality jacket G1 that I've seen. I have one in black calfskin with a zippered arm pocket and full removable Thinsulate liner. It's my favorite leather jacket and the quality is amazing. The jackets are made in Turkey just outside of what used to be one of our airbases. There is a US rep who is an airline pilot and F15 flyer as well. Good guy, but sometimes takes a little while to get back to you via email (his jobs keep him busy even when he's not deployed).

Link: www.popsleather.com/prod_v2.php3?prod=48&hs=ecpbdszv

The only thing I've found looking at Pops site is that his G-1 don't look very G-1 like, nicely made though I'm sure they are.

From Pop's site...

241.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot