Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha G-1

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
A removable collar is a non-starter for us. I know a number of pilots who fly for Continental (United) that say Pop's is Ok.

KELORGO

New in Town
Terrible representation of their G1. They make jackets for several of the major US airlines and private purchase jackets for our military. They were adding under arm gussets and extra side panels to issued A2s (and making their own A2s) before the Air Force incorporated them into the current issue A2. There's a United Airlines jacket on the bay right now, and you can look at other airline and military jackets on their website. My G1 in calfskin is first rate.

KELORGO

New in Town
Removable mouton isn't noticeable unless you really look (I think they did their best to hide it since they were selling to military folks). I'm sure you could order a permanently attached collar. Fur is real mouton and really plush. I like the removable collar because the leather collar underneath is much cooler (temperature, not looks) and the rubber edging on the back of my motorcycle helmet doesn't hang up on it when I look left and right like it does on the mouton. Another benefit is that the full leather collar underneath serves to reinforce the mouton. In other words, the mouton stands up better and seals the cold air out at the neck for winter time use. (Ps. I am not a Pop's salesman! I just think they are a really nice, and often overlooked option).

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Had I not already spent the money on Alpha, Pop's would have been looked into. Totally forgot about them.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not disparaging Pops. I know Pops is a big favorite of the Air Force guys, especially the MAC (or AMC depending on your age) boys. One of the guys in my office wears his Pops A-2 both in the Reserves and out. It's a nice looking A-2. And of course, a lot of those former Air Force guys flying the line have used Pops for their airline jackets as well.

I'm just not a fan of their G-1...at least not the one displayed on the website. Not bad looking, not at all. Just subtly different in several ways than the old G-1 I have come to know and love. ;)

Deacon

KELORGO

New in Town
I'm looking forward to your impressions of the Alpha G1. I love my black Alpha nylon MA-1. It's my go to daily wearer. I can't believe how few reviews of Alpha leather jackets are out there.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Yes, funny how you hear little about Alpha leathers. There is a nice shop in Frankfurt that has wall-to-wall Alpha stuff...nylon, leather, everything. And all very nice.
Here is a foto of my warmest jacket, the Alpha Vintage B-15, USA made: P1010051.jpg P1010052.jpg

Most of the wrinkles you see here are gone now.

P1010049.jpg

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Actually kind of a nylon junkie. Got a real nice Cockpit USA CWU 55P. Not quite as warm as the B-15. All of the nylon Alphas I saw in Frankfurt were first class in construction quality. There was no "country of origin" label, so don't know where they were made. China?

Hope my G-1 is as nice. It will be here Tuesday. Full review to follow...with multiple fotos.

Edward

Bartender
The real shame is that Alpha no longer do the Replica Series, which were really pretty good. I suppose those of us who care about thd sort of additional details they got 'right' aren't around in sufficient numbers for the sort of market they want.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The G-1 has been delayed...UPS blaming the weather! It will be here this afternoon, after 1630 hours.
Stand by for a full review. Photos, measurements, etc.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
OK...here it is, and what a pleasant surprise! The jacket is buttery soft, black goatskin. The fit is a classic military fit. The size is "M". I can wear anything from a 38R to a 42R, depending on the cut. The stitching is good, with no flaws that I can find. The knitted cuffs and waistband is very nice, nearly as nice as the knits on my G&B. Not wool, but a rich/luxurious blend that will resist damage.

The zipper (YKK) is extremely smooth, with fast action.

Many of you have expressed a desire for lighter weight jackets. This G-1 is the lightest in my collection. Shipping weight was 4lbs. It will lend itself to being worn even on days that are not cold, but cool. Perfect for a windbreaker.

The only spot that to me is a bit weak on this jacket: the collar. It is advertised as genuine sheepskin mouton. Maybe so. But the collar on my Alpha B-15 (fake fur) is nicer, and the collar on my USWings Signature G-1 ($540) is out of this world nicer.

I like this jacket so much, that my USWings (Schott) Signature G-1, worn only 4 times, will be going up for sale soon. Ebay? This Schott G-1 is a super nice jacket, but too long to fit me properly.

IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0017.jpg IMG_0018.jpg

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Looking really great for a beater! Congratulations, that's a nice score!

Thanks! The best thing is the jacket is light enough for three season wearing. And it is amazingly comfortable. The goatskin is glove soft, almost like it has already been "broken in". I really expected that it would be going back to the manufacturer.

KELORGO

New in Town
That Alpha looks really Sharp! I'm glad it worked out for you. So many people assume that Alpha's are sub-par jackets. I just received a hooded MA-1 that I've put to good use during our last two rounds of snow up here in the northeast. It's a really nicely made jacket, and the fur lined hood keeps me real warm.

Enjoy that G1 and wear it in good health.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family

Good looking jacket. I had one also, sent it back due to a few minor imperfections. Had second thoughts, hoped they (Alpha) would offer some kind of deal for me just to keep it.
Going back to Frankfurt again next month. Plan to stop in a local military shop that has everything Alpha makes on display. They do make good stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot