Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Pickers Irvin

Baron Enski

Familiar Face
Hi watching American Pickers last night and the boys found an Irvin Flying jacket , not just any Irvin, a coastal command Irvin.
I think they got it for $250 and were going to sell for $500.00 , it looked a small size. Dont think they knew what they had described it as a bomber jacket.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Same as the Jacket in my AV.

Very Cool Jacket, And they dont turn up very often.

I would love a re-issue, though Im sure it would be a limited run and not cheap.

will look for this episode.

Edward

Bartender
Same as the Jacket in my AV.

Very Cool Jacket, And they dont turn up very often.

I would love a re-issue, though Im sure it would be a limited run and not cheap.

will look for this episode.

I've long fancied one myself, since first hearing of them / seeing one in person (belonging to Baron Kurtz). They're one of the rarer - the rarest? - Irvin types, but they don't seem to fetch the big bucks much when they come up. I suppose while they have the rarity factor, they lack the saleability of having been worn in one of the "sexy" ends of the war - c/f the 'Battle of Britain' Irvin, or the AVG's M442as...

Aero, under the old management, did make one for a Flounger, but as I recall it ended up being sold on because it was the old pattern in the body, with the unpopular tubular arms. Once we start seeing the new pattern Aeros with the corrected arm shape, if they're good they might be approachable to put a hood on one (unless I'm very much mistaken, that was the only significant construction difference between the contemporary main-line Irvins and the CC). Flyboys might also be open to it? It seems a shame nobody is offering one at all on the repro market as it sits... Much like the Irvin trousers. I suppose that comes back to lack of demand, but still...

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although fewer were made than the conventional Irvin they regularly come up for sale in the UK. The problem is the yellow hood which makes them less attractive to wear out and about in 2013. Really pristine examples are extremely rare.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
They're one of the rarer - the rarest?ll

The rarest are probably the black fleece Irvins. Still love that one of yours Andrew ;)

I presume the reason why CC Irvins are often in worse condition than FC or BC Irvins is because of the often appalling conditions CC aircraft operated under and the fact that nearly all CC bases were at the sea - sea salt has a tendency to be rather effective at buggering things up!

Edward

Bartender
Although fewer were made than the conventional Irvin they regularly come up for sale in the UK. The problem is the yellow hood which makes them less attractive to wear out and about in 2013. Really pristine examples are extremely rare.

Yeah, I can see that being a harder sell...I'dv primarily wear it turned inside out, though...

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
The Yellow Hood is Reversable.

Mine has a fleece body made of chocolate brown, with a few light patches here and there.

But, the Hood is a different Cut, made of Beautiful Golden brown Fleece, much different than the rest.

I Love these jackets, They should be more popular.

and if no one was really sure why the hood...its Yellow so you are easy to spot out on the Atlantic ocean Quicker, before you are a block of ice.

Very Distinguishable Jacket.

Very sad To say these photos were of my OLD Room, from about 2007. I miss that room a lot, It had Mojo.

but thanks only to this Jacket, came from the original wearer who I was told had passed on.

I got it From a military antique store and was very proud.

Though it has quite a few spots of Dry rot and is not exactly in wearable shape, its a shame.

I have had NOOO Luck finding info on the name on the back of this Jacket or the crew etc...I tried.

Would love to know more about the owner of this jacket.

Attachments

• New Imports 2010 237.JPG
    New Imports 2010 237.JPG
    646.6 KB · Views: 213
  • New Imports 2010 240.JPG
    New Imports 2010 240.JPG
    611.3 KB · Views: 219
You hit the nail on the head. who wants a bright yellow hood on their sheepskin. It is quite unsightly.

I think the Australian made one that Hogspear just sold on eBay might be similar rarity. What think you Andrew? An odd amalgam of design features from various different jackets.

The rarest are probably the black fleece Irvins. Still love that one of yours Andrew ;)

I presume the reason why CC Irvins are often in worse condition than FC or BC Irvins is because of the often appalling conditions CC aircraft operated under and the fact that nearly all CC bases were at the sea - sea salt has a tendency to be rather effective at buggering things up!

Otter

One Too Many
I like the CC Irvin, one in a nice chocolate brown or black fleece would float my boat (or sink my U-Boat as apropriate), but then again look at my avatar and see the A-2 I wear!

Are they missing a trick here, by not marketing these jackets to the younger Hoodie Generation?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
All I know is I'm still waiting for Dickie (Teenie, Normous, etc.) to come back from his Greek wedding with the review of Mike Wolfe's jacket.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Please wear it Carefully for me, I really cant stress this enough!

oh, post a pic of it, I would love to see!

take good care of it..PROMISE!!!

(I cannot believe you wear yours!!! see...THIS RIGHT HERE is why we need a GOOD QUALITY REPRO!!!)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a strange looking jacket-not really an Irvin or a B-3 or a D-1. It is not for me, but it sold well on Ebay as it is a rare beast.

Edward

Bartender
Ha!

I own an original and wear it (always with hood rolled down to hide as much of the hood as possible); just saying what I imagine the view of the ordinary customer would be.

Heh. I'm totally not a hood-wearer - I don't think I'd ever put it up - so I might be inclined to run with the yellow.... Anyone producing a repro would certainly be well advised to offer both yellow and non-painted, though. It's the equivalent (both in function and form) of that shocking orange lining in the later contract USAF MA1s, though I suppose the latter is easier hidden.

I'm sure I have seen photos somewhere of an original on which a post-war owner had dulled down the hood with brown bootpolish, presumably wanting to make it less full on for civilian wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo