Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An elusive detail of early 1900s mens fashion

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Evan and others, thank you for your informative replies.

It was worth the 4-year wait.

Here are two early 20th Century U.S. Presidents wearing waistcoat slips:

wilson-woodrow.jpg

calvin-coolidge.jpg

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Evan Everhart said:
...I can't stand the man! He just strikes me as rather vapid and lax in most things...

(ARGH! I'm still off topic!) Has someone set up a Prince Charles: Like or Dislike thread? They should!...

.... The military for parade and such is one thing, they have no choice, but he's a lax nobleman who does next to nothing!

Maybe it's just me because he rubs me the wrong way as far as anything else with him, but I don't particularly like his style or the fact that everything looks so over-pressed. It looks like he's trying too hard.

I've just started a discussion thread on old Chazzy-boy:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=45652

If I said this about your President I'd be suspended. [huh]

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Mysterious Mose said:
Good point. And I assure you--it's not because I'm a great fan of the current President, by any means! It is the office, or position, that should be respected.

I am very grateful to our colleague Evan for his knowledge and very generous assistance; but I am sure he would agree that gentlemen don't indulge in this sort of thing. In public at least....:rolleyes:

"Skeet"

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
draws said:
Is it me or did the lady to his left stick her finger in a light socket?

No, I think that while on safari, she got a porcupine stuck in her perm....But, with wings like that in that perm of hers, they can probably go on safari frequently as they can fly for free!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Mysterious Mose said:

Why would you be? In America, we may speak our minds about anything we wish. Even racist trash are free to speak their minds as long as they do not actively encourage violence by the law's standards, it's the American way!

I think that Barack Obama is a terrible dresser at least at formal occasions, what he wore to his inaugural ball was APPALLING and poorly cut. No one should wear a notched lapel tail coat its just bad form, the thing fit him poorly, the tie looked like a clip on, and the waist-coat was poorly cut and too low for such a tall chap. It made his torso look shabby and long instead of making his legs look long or average as it should depending upon your respective height. George W. Bush was an Appalling dresser as well and always wore poorly tailored business suits that barely looked a step over a bad polyester leisure suit! His suits barely if ever showed any cuff for most of his two terms (how did he even get elected for two terms with his poor speaking abilities, it's Amazing) (What I just said about President Bush may annoy some people or be disagreed upon by some, but it is still OK, because American can and are encouraged to speak their minds as Americans). There is not much latitude to what one as a head of state may wear, at least in regards to colours and patterns, but one may, and must still wear clothing which fits perfectly to look the part. What ever happened to Presidents giving their inaugural speech in Morning Dress?! We lost a lot of culture and civilized elegance when we allowed that tradition to stop.

There is, I reiterate, nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with discussing the style or lack there of, of any respective head of state or dignitary, this has been common practice for the better part of the last hundred and fifty years or so, maybe more. Say what you feel! :)

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Evan Everhart said:
I'm off topic here (again) but, Charles is usually dressed alright as to the actual garments, but the way that he wears them is sometimes so appalling! He lacks any actual style in the way that he wears his garments. He is not a stylish man and a gentleman is after all differentiated from an ordinary man by the way in which he wears his garments. I think a lot of those garments were inherited or his tailors picked out and designed them en toto.

I can't stand the man! He just strikes me as rather vapid and lax in most things. Come on! He showed up in a morning coat with a crease ironed into the front of the sleeve! It's just WRONG! The clothes looking like they are new is beyond tasteless.

This said, the slip is rather nice and good pic of one!

......With all due respect don't be ridiculous........he's probably the most consistently best dressed and most stylish man in the world for nearly forty years.......whether it's laying out gardens, choosing appropriate architecture, cutting peat, or choosing a suit, he invariably displays perfect taste......I happened to be in the UK a few weeks ago and he popped up on an antiques show being held in almost perfect Adam house packed with Chippendale furniture that he'd orchestrated the rescue of.....apart from the beauty of his surroundings he was perfectly dressed in a double breasted large houndstooth jacket worn with toning trousers and French cuffed shirt......the effect as ever was stylish but comfortable elegance.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Brummagem Joe said:
......With all due respect don't be ridiculous........he's probably the most consistently best dressed and most stylish man in the world for nearly forty years.......whether it's laying out gardens, choosing appropriate architecture, cutting peat, or choosing a suit, he invariably displays perfect taste......I happened to be in the UK a few weeks ago and he popped up on an antiques show being held in almost perfect Adam house packed with Chippendale furniture that he'd orchestrated the rescue of.....apart from the beauty of his surroundings he was perfectly dressed in a double breasted large houndstooth jacket worn with toning trousers and French cuffed shirt......the effect as ever was stylish but comfortable elegance.

I am entitled to my own opinion. I simply don't like his choice in colour pallet or his choice in low cut Kent or Windsor (whichever name one chooses to apply to them) DB suits for many years, or his choice of plaids often enough (for his DB suits et al), or the heavy creases in the coat-sleeves of his Morning Coats, or his choice in women. In other respects, he is appropriate if not necessarily stylish in a manner which I like, would emulate, or consider stylish in his (or anyone else's) clothing. I've never said that he was not appropriately dressed, merely that I do not and cannot approve of his sense of style as it is rather bland and banal by my standards and in comparison to the styles of several of his fore-bearers. I dislike the man on a personal level for his personal life, for his breaking up his marriage as he did. Why? When one has children, one should avoid breaking up one's family. It's a rotten deal, especially for a possible future figure-head of state, that was a particular injudicious and inappropriate action not suited to the dignity of his public role.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Getting back to waistcoat slips...I actually saw one last night as I was watching Cornered (1945) with Dick Powell. It was worn by a European exile in Argentina, and when I saw it, I said aloud, "It's one of those!" (And I would never had noticed it, had it not been for this thread...:rolleyes: )

draws

Practically Family
Evan Everhart said:
I am entitled to my own opinion. I simply don't like his choice in colour pallet or his choice in low cut Kent or Windsor (whichever name one chooses to apply to them) DB suits for many years, or his choice of plaids often enough (for his DB suits et al), or the heavy creases in the coat-sleeves of his Morning Coats, or his choice in women. In other respects, he is appropriate if not necessarily stylish in a manner which I like, would emulate, or consider stylish in his (or anyone else's) clothing. I've never said that he was not appropriately dressed, merely that I do not and cannot approve of his sense of style as it is rather bland and banal by my standards and in comparison to the styles of several of his fore-bearers. I dislike the man on a personal level for his personal life, for his breaking up his marriage as he did. Why? When one has children, one should avoid breaking up one's family. It's a rotten deal, especially for a possible future figure-head of state, that was a particular injudicious and inappropriate action not suited to the dignity of his public role.
Now, Now gentlemen. I appreciate everyone's opinion here and would hope that we now get down to the business of appropriate attire, etal. I too find that today's standards are more mundane than the styles of let's say more than two generations ago and it is irksome to see presidents and heads of state slouching through or diddley-bopping around like they were some cool dude. It takes away from their role of being leaders and spokesmen for their respective nations. Of the three heads of state mentioned, I give a thumbs up to Charles. At least he tries and his is an aire of dignity compared to the "other two" names mentioned. Just my two cents.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
draws said:
Now, Now gentlemen. I appreciate everyone's opinion here and would hope that we now get down to the business of appropriate attire, etal. I too find that today's standards are more mundane than the styles of let's say more than two generations ago and it is irksome to see presidents and heads of state slouching through or diddley-bopping around like they were some cool dude. It takes away from their role of being leaders and spokesmen for their respective nations. Of the three heads of state mentioned, I give a thumbs up to Charles. At least he tries and his is an aire of dignity compared to the "other two" names mentioned. Just my two cents.

Yes, heads of state represent their respective countries, whether they like it or not. And I agree with your choice of the three.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
Getting back to waistcoat slips...I actually saw one last night as I was watching Cornered (1945) with Dick Powell. It was worn by a European exile in Argentina, and when I saw it, I said aloud, "It's one of those!" (And I would never had noticed it, had it not been for this thread...:rolleyes: )

AMEN to getting back to this thread's topic! I was watching the A&E Poirot: Evil Under the Sun last night and noticed that the Coroner at the beginning of the episode was wearing a waist-coat slip as well (not entirely surprising, but certainly very edifying!) I also noticed someone or other doing so in an episode of Sherlock Holmes the other night (the Jeremy Brett/A&E series) I think I might just have my tailor make up a waist-coat slip for me while I'm at it.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Evan Everhart said:
I think I might just have my tailor make up a waist-coat slip for me while I'm at it.

Good on yez! And, if you do, I hope you'll show us the results, as worn and with the vest opened up so we can see the inside....

"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy