Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Interview with Fred Astaire on his personal style

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for posting this, its a great read. I've always admired his style and panache. He has a couple of slams on the Ivy look that should get a reaction from some other forums ;)

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for sharing that. I like the part about his shoes. I've always admired his brown suede cap toe oxfords. I think he wore them in at least one scene in each movie.

tealseal

A-List Customer
I particularly enjoyed his dislike of the Porkpie and his choice of brim width in hats.
Also, this caught me as interesting: "In the way of belts, Astaire likes to use silk handkerchiefs—purely for utilitarian purposes rather than theatrical. He has a 31-inch waist and loses pounds when he is dancing. The resilient silk allows him to draw his pants right. "I used to use old neckties for the same purpose but the handkerchiefs are better.""
I'm having trouble visualizing this. How does this work?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Excellent read. Thanks for the reference. Fred Astair offers a good practical reminder. See the practcal reminder in my signature.

Eric -

Last edited:

tealseal

A-List Customer
Excellent read. Thanks for the reference. Fred Astair offers a good practical reminder. See the practcal reminder in my signature.

Eric -
I noticed this, Eric, and I like the advice. But it got me thinking, in this day and age, wearing a tall crowned wide brimmed fedora isn't exactly inconspicuous. Won't stop me, though!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I noticed this, Eric, and I like the advice. But it got me thinking, in this day and age, wearing a tall crowned wide brimmed fedora isn't exactly inconspicuous. Won't stop me, though!

Very good point as to inconspicuous. I do not disagree, but rather consider the order of the words offered by Atsair as very important in the message.

I would like to think that being yourself trumps inconspicuous. Long discourse following, but I believe that I cover how I get to my belief system. I would hazard that as I wear a fedora with rare exception it matches the "Be yourself" part of the Astair advice. I wear the hat. I sumise that I wear a fedora without affectation or bringing un-due attention with either physical gestures or akward posing. The suposition, to my thinking, is that I am "Being myself." If I was not "being myslef," I would give the impression of not being myself by appearing akward, changing facial and body gestures. The clues can be obvious or subtle. From birth I was taught to read face and body clues. The folks who grew up around me did the same. I hope my corner of the world is not very different from most.

A lot of words to say, Being yourself is important. Radiating your message starts with being yourself.

Tealseal, thanks for propeling me along this posts developing path. I am learning much from writing down my thoughts. My post is not altogether cogent, but rather is helping me develope my intreptations.

best to all, Eric -

Last edited:

tealseal

A-List Customer
Very good point as to inconspicuous. I do not disagree, but rather consider the order of the words offered by Atsair as very important in the message.

I would like to think that being yourself trumps inconspicuous. Long discourse following, but I believe that I cover how I get to my belief system. I would hazard that as I wear a fedora with rare exception it matches the "Be yourself" part of the Astair advice. I wear the hat. I sumise that I wear a fedora without affectation or bringing un-due attention with either physical gestures or akward posing. The suposition, to my thinking, is that I am "Being myself." If I was not "being myslef," I would give the impression of not being myself by appearing akward, changing facial and body gestures. The clues can be obvious or subtle. From birth I was taught to read face and body clues. The folks who grew up around me did the same. I hope my corner of the world is not very different from most.

A lot of words to say, Being yourself is important. Radiating your message starts with being yourself.

Tealseal, thanks for propeling me along this posts developing path. I am learning much from writing down my thoughts. My post is not altogether cogent, but rather is helping me develope my intreptations.

best to all, Eric -

Well put, and I totally agree. Cheers to you, Eric.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I particularly enjoyed his dislike of the Porkpie and his choice of brim width in hats.
Also, this caught me as interesting: "In the way of belts, Astaire likes to use silk handkerchiefs—purely for utilitarian purposes rather than theatrical. He has a 31-inch waist and loses pounds when he is dancing. The resilient silk allows him to draw his pants right. "I used to use old neckties for the same purpose but the handkerchiefs are better.""
I'm having trouble visualizing this. How does this work?

He simply threads the tie/scarf through the belt loops of the pants and tie the ends together, as below:

bing-crosby-and-fred-astaire-e1330590735443.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic