Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Open Road won!! It has Finally arived!! (Now fortified with pics)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Woohoo!! I certainly must be my lucky day. Two wins without a bunch of bidding wars and getting hosed. This Open Road looks to be a very clean number judging by the photos.:)

bc_1.JPG

a2_1.JPG

54_1.JPG

c8_1.JPG

b1_1.JPG

08_1.JPG

"It is marked John B. Stetson Company 3X Beaver, Pomeroy's Mesa, Arizona, and The Open Road. Size is 7 1/8."

Now, I'll never profess to be an expert so I will need some expert guidance on the age of this lid. By looking at the sweat band I would guess it to be very late 40' to the 50's. Would I be correct in this assessment? Are there any tell tale signs in an Open Road that show it's vintage? Sounds like I'm talking about a bottle of wine, I guess that's what happens when you live in wine country.
I'm almost feeling as lucky as Fedoralover.:D
This has been a good hat day.

Cheers!

Dan

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
It's really hard to tell Daniel, I've looked at literally hundreds and hundreds on ebay and owned about 6 or 7 and the biggest thing is if it's got a soft pliable crown. If it's stiff and has a liner that has kind of a check pattern in it, you want to stay away. I always ask if the crown can be easily reshaped or not. I know it's not very scientific but the logo's on the sweatbands and liners were different during the same time periods, so those aren't reliable indicators.
That is a nice one and from the pics it looks very pliable. But even if it's from the early 60s it would still be a great hat.

It's great to see so many deals being had by loungers.

fedoralover

Fedoralover nailed it, DJ. Stay away from the black sweatbands and checkered liners and you'll probably do OK, as it appears you did. I have more ORs (and OR-like) lids than is reasonable (16 at last count), and among the best of them is one with a sweatband just like yours, although it has a different liner.
Let us know when it arrives. And give a review. They're great hats, those old ORs. Very versatile, you know. Wear 'em with blue jeans, wear 'em with a suit.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yeah! I was hoping this might be a good one.:) There is a couple on e-bay that have the black sweatband and checked liner too, and they have several bids on them. This one didn't get bid on until yesterday and there was only one person that bid within the last few hours.I suppose they thought they had it, but I am happy I finally got a vintage one in excelent shape.
Thanks for all the positive feedbach gang.:D I will be posting pics once it arives, and that should be pretty soon since the seller was in Apple Valley, CA.

Cheers!

Dan

Good going

I had that one on my watch-list (I like to watch the pricing trends).

I must say that I have an OR with a brown sweatband and the checked liner, though mine has a pliable crown. I still have it in the Cattleman's crease. I know mine is less stiff than a brand new OR at the western store. Possibly from the 60-70's?

Welcome to the Guild

Siirous

One of the Regulars
You outbid me! I will be forever crushed ;)

It looks like a good hat, and it's fortunate that such a beauty went to a fellow lounge member that will know how to treat it well.

Wear it in good health :cheers1:

Rob

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Siirous: So that was you that sat on for a day. Sorry about sniping that one but I've had quite a few sniped out from under me at the last second. I didn't put the biddng name to you but I thought it may be a lounger by some of your purchase history. I certainly hope that you get the next vintage Open Road that comes down the pike. I just think that it was my lucky day is all. Anyother day and you may have gotten that one.

Pilgrim & Gentleman Farmer: I take it to be the 'Open Road Guild' and not the 'Guild of Calamitus Intent'?;) Thank you, I feel most welcome.

Thank you all for your kind comments. Apple Valley isn't too far from me so I hope to be seeing this lid by either Friday or Saturday.
This shape was the main reason I wanted an Open Road. Jeff Bridges in Seabiscuit. I just thought it was a sharp looking lid and wanted a vintage one that would shape to something like this quite easily.

seabiscuit2.jpg

seaent1.jpg

51322.jpg

It was either this or a Stratoliner and those seem to be as scarce as hens teeth in my size, and in any diecent condition.
Again, thanks for all the kind comments. I will post the pics once I get it in my mitts.

Cheers!

Dan

rythmcat

New in Town
Hi I'm new on the list and as such I cannot contact members directly. I hoping that someone on this thread could contact Pilgrim as I would like to have some details on his silver belly, tear drop "Moose River" style hat offered by LL bean, and by Stetson hat as I am contemplating having one made by Beaver Brand. My address is: bcooper808@bellsouth.net. Many thanks. Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy