Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"and that's when I tried to hit him..."

Metatron

One Too Many
When I am wearing my Irvin, the standard remark is always something like: "Hey, where did you park the Spitfire?" (At least they know)
And my standard answer is: "It's a Hurricane, but I don't recon you know the difference!"

I like that remark though, I've met English kids that have never even heard of the Spitfire!

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
You should have said loudly ""Look man,,, I said I was sorry,,,I didn't know she was your wife,,,, It was just sex""

DesertDan

One Too Many
I very rarely get the "Indy" comment. When I do I just smile at them and say "That's Doctor Jones to you."

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I like that remark though, I've met English kids that have never even heard of the Spitfire!

The Spitfire and the P-51 Mustang: Two of the finest airplanes ever designed. I would have to flip a coin in order to decide which one I would rather take for a short hop, not that I would survive the flight! :eeek: :D

I was going to come up with a retort to an insult to what I might be wearing, but the retort was enough off color that better judgment prevailed. Wouldn't want to be taken to the woodshed by a mod. ;)

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Just ignore him, Worf. It's a shame that people have no sense of style in this country anymore. It seems that unless you wear sneakers and whatever type of jeans are currently popular, there will always be a handful of idiots that think it's their job to try and insult you. Don't let 'em get to you. My cowboy / Engineer boots are my passion, and while some people don't get it, I also get a surprising number of compliments. It seems that average people aren't used to seeing quality leather goods anymore (or, God forbid, brimmed hat), and they can't help but react to it. I would say that I get 8 positive reactions out of 10.

Perhaps this story will make you chuckle about the incident with your "village idiot: When I was eight years old, I got my first decent pair of cowboy boots. One day, I wore them to school, and forgot that I had gym class, so I didn't bring any sneakers. I had to wear those boots with my gym shorts and T-Shirt to play indoor kickball..... it was NOT a pretty picture. Some kid yelled something like "Do it that cowboy way!" as I was running around the bases, and I was pretty much mortified. So it happens to all of us now and then. It's the price we pay for having good taste and what I refer to as a "classic style".

alsendk

A-List Customer
The Spitfire and the P-51 Mustang: Two of the finest airplanes ever designed. I would have to flip a coin in order to decide which one I would rather take for a short hop, not that I would survive the flight! :eeek: :D

I was going to come up with a retort to an insult to what I might be wearing, but the retort was enough off color that better judgment prevailed. Wouldn't want to be taken to the woodshed by a mod. ;)

As long as the P-51 was equipped with a Rolls Royce Merlin engine, I wouldn`t bother much, but just sit back and enjoy the ride.
So far I have only flewn - as a passenger in a Two engine Dakota DC3 I think it`s called, and a furious swedish Draken two seater training fighter plane, taking off from Ljungbyhed military base in Skåne south of Sweden.
pardon me for going off-topic Worf

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
As long as the P-51 was equipped with a Rolls Royce Merling engine, I wouldn`t bother much, but just sit back and enjoy the ride.
So far I have only flewn - as a passenger in a Two engine Dakota DC3 I think it`s called, and a furious swedish Draken two seater training fighter plane, taking off from Ljungbyhed military base in Skåne south of Sweden.
pardon me from going off-topic Worf

In the States they have a B-17, B-24, and a P-51C that make their bouts around the country giving tours. These half/hour rides cost at least the price of a new Goodwear. Later this month they're stopping by here in Northern California. I truly hope I get to see that P-51 fly by. Or in my dreams, a Lancaster.

alsendk

A-List Customer
kSaabJ35OEDrakentwo-seater_zpsd5355f95.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My parents lived in Sweden for 17 years in Ljungyhed, and were sorrounded by neighbors living next door to them, personnel staff mecanics and pilots. I was invited for the flight by a chief trainer, and had to wear a special suit for being able to adapt the G force in order not to faint even before take off. A fantastic experience, and up for more than three quarters of an hour...for free. But honestly there was no room for an Irvin in the cockpit.
I was not allowed to photograph, so this pic is taken down from Google pictures.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
kSaabJ35OEDrakentwo-seater_zpsd5355f95.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My parents lived in Sweden for 17 years in Ljungyhed, and were sorrounded by neighbors living next door to them, personnel staff mecanics and pilots. I was invited for the flight by a chief trainer, and had to wear a special suit for being able to adapt the G force in order not to faint even before take off. A fantastic experience, and up for more than three quarters of an hour...for free. But honestly there was no room for an Irvin in the cockpit.
I was not allowed to photograph, so this pic is taken down from Google pictures.

Awesome.Saab!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy