Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

And THIS Is Why Ceil Chapman Commands the Money...

Grace

Vendor
As a vintage dealer, I have a whole list of 'holy grails'. And one that has been on the top of my list for years is Ceil Chapman. Last weekend (on my birthday, no less!!) I finally found one! And guess what? It fits me like an absolute glove!
Remember that discussion on 'this is a cute dress but $600??'? $600 may seem like an awful lot for a dress, but I guaranatee once you try on a Ceil, you will never want to take it off. I have a closet stuff full of vintage that I love very, very much. But the feeling that 100 of those dresses gives me doesn't even compare to how this Ceil makes me feel. As soon as I slipped it on, I was instantly transformed-I felt so womanly! So bombshell! No wonder she was a favorite designer of Miss Marilyn Monroe herself!

Anywho, I just wanted to share this incredible dress with you. :) Pardon my goofy face! (DH and I are celebrating our 1 year anniversary today, and this is the dress I am going to wear to dinner!)

DSCN5966.jpg

Kimberly

Practically Family
:eek: :eek:

That dress was made for you!!! It is fantastic!

I love to watch the bidding wars on the Ceil dresses and I can see why. I can never afford one, but I love to look at them!

Grace

Vendor
I didn't think I'd ever be able to afford a Ceil, atleast not this early in life! I am forever hooked, and am soon going to start a Ceil savings fund. :)

A fellow vintage dealer (who I am forever indebted to for the priceless knowledge he possesses) told me that this dress is known as Ms. Chapmans 'skylark' silhouette 'which she used in several collections and in several fabrics as well. The idea was that the movement of the skirt resembled a bird in flight '. And boy, does this skirt ever have beautiful movement!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Stunning dress! You'll be a knockout for your anniversary. Can you post more pics...its so hard to see detail on a black dress and I'm dying to see more!!!!

Honey Doll

Grace

Vendor
I'd say this dress is mid 50s. It's made of a silk jersey-the fabric really is divine!

Here's another fun fact about Ms. Chapman-she also designed gowns for Elizabeth Taylor and Mamie Van Doren.

Grace

Vendor
Adrian (another holy grail for me) was a bit earlier than Ms. Chapman-he retired in the early 50s. His career was just ending as hers was beginning.

Lilli Ann (a favorite, especially the earlier, sculptured suits) was around the same time, though the company endured longer than Ms.Chapman. Ms. Chapman company ran into financial problems in the 60s and started desigining under a Miss Winston label. She died in the 70s.

cemetarian

Vendor
I've already told you once but I can't it too many times.........Gracie, dahlin' you look simply Mav-eo-lous............and I'm green.........the closest I've come is a couple of Ceil Patterns.........LOL.....oh! and Happy Anniversary

Grace

Vendor
Her son referred to her skills of draping, tucking and folding of fabrics as engineering. She is an absolute master of draping, even more so than Dorothy O'Hara who was also known for her top notch draping.

I've always loved her dresses, but I have a new appreciation after touching, feeling, and wearing one. :)

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
I am SOOOOO Obummed.
i found a Ceil Chapman dress at a local vintage sho the other day for like 35 bucks.

but i could not remember why the name sounded so familiar. so i didnt get it cos it was TOO BIG.
but it was only like 35$
i wish now i would have just bought the damn thing.
hahahahahahah i could have made an ebay killing.
DAMN DAMN DAMN,.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR