Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Angler by Akubra

Ryan

Familiar Face
Anyone have this one? I've seen the recent thread on the Riverina which appear to be the same as far as crown/brim goes. Are these pretty much the same hat with just difference in color? Also in, looks like sides on the angler at DM are flat while other sites show it more western with a slight curve. Anyone know this hat?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I agree with you on the styling, and I think the hats are very similar. The main difference is that the Angler has a raw brim, and the Riverina has a bound brim. The block is also very slightly different, with the Angler lacking the little bubble in the center dent.

1152.jpg

The slightly upturned brim on the version offered by Outback Outlet may be something done specifically for them, perhaps to appeal to a more American clientele. On the color issue, I don't think the Outback Outlet's photos are particularly accurate. My Riverina that they list as Fawn is apparently identical to Mike K.'s hat in Khaki. It has much greener undertones than the photo shows, though they may be depicting a different color that they no longer carry.

NonEntity

Suspended
Mohave Jack is, as usual, right on with his comments. The Regency Fawn color of his Angler in the photograph, at least on my monitor, is very close to the actual color. As he says, the Riverina is a decidedly green-tinted hat, not exactly what I'd term khaki and certainly not fawn.

The Angler from David Morgan is $127 including shipping, but if they have not yet run out, the Riverina from Outback Outlet is a real bargain at less than $50 delivered. That alone may make your decision.

The Angler was a runner-up a few years ago but lost out to Akubra's Banjo Patterson, which I chose because of its 1/4-inch narrower brim, and, lacking the ventilation eyelets, slightly less casual appearance. Also, though it's made of their finest fur felt--the Heritage Collection--it was only a few dollars more than the Angler constructed of Imperial Quality felt. I do wish my Banjo had hooks for a chin strap, though, as does the Angler.

Whatever you decide, you can be assured that if it's an Akubra, it's an excellent hat.

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Angler: My field hat of choice

I have an Akubra Angler in Regency Fawn. A shade more brown than the photo. I bought it a couple of years ago from NogginTops.com. They have them now for $75.

Great hat for the intended purpose.

It’s as stated: more casual than a true fedora. Not so much a stylin suit /city/office hat. Hence the name.

I bought and wear mine for doing wildlife biology field work. Everything from assessing forests and abandoned mines for animal habitat to catching birds, to darting and collaring grizzly bears. It makes an excellent field hat. On field days I usually have it on from well before sunup until late afternoon. It takes a hat that fits well to wear ALL day and forget you have it on. Raw edged brim provides nice shade on face and neck. Warm in AM yet never too hot hiking afield.

With a little steam I reshaped the brim and rebashed to more of a Diamond bash Fedora shape.

My only regret with it would be I didn’t find it years earlier.
My field hat of choice.

Vintage Open Road / Dobbs / Campdraft / CEO for in town office work.

Fredthecat

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
One other small difference is the number of vent holes. Two vs three. Akubra seems to have several hats that look very similar with small differences. The price at Outback Outlet is a great deal. This is the first hat I've ever owned with a bound brim, and I was not sure how I would like it. As I've said in other post this hat has become my favorite. I wear it with casual clothes to the mall, flea markets, etc. I also wear it out just taking a walk, or hiking through the woods. It's a great all around hat.

Ryan

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies. The link to Outback Outlet had the Angler for 55 bucks but I went for the Riverina. They seem almost the same and 39 bucks is hard to beat.

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
I was gettin excited. For $39 or “less than $50 delivered” I’d buy one just to toss in the field truck “in case” and not care if it got smashed or eaten by a bear.

What I find listed at Outback Outlet is:
Riverina $47.99 & Angler $55.99

Perhaps I missed something or that $39 Akubra is like the story of finding NOS WWII Jeeps still in crates, or Model A’s in barns.

However $48 + shipping is still a very good price. I'll buy one anyhow

Thanks, Fredthecat

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Whoops! Looks like we've pushed the price up. There must be two dozen folks here that have gotten a Riverina in the past month or two. Mike K. was keeping a tally, but I think he lost count!

Ryan

Familiar Face
I must have caused the bump since I ordered mine as stated and was charged 39 + 7 for S/H. I'll have to make sure the charges are correct.
Heads up, when I called the Outback folks, they offered me other Akubra hats not listed on their site for 49 bucks.

Ryan

Familiar Face
I looked at the outlet site and saw they had a Cattleman model but online said not in my size. So I called to confirm. When they asked what size I was, said they have Coober Pedy and a Kiandra. Maybe I should call back and see what else they have not listed.

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the lead. I ordered the Riverina from Outback Outlet. $54 total. Thanks Ryan.

I’m going to try the Puggaree wrap or swap one from an old Akubra Army slouch hat.

Can I join the Lounge Safari Club now?

They did raise the price $8. Supply & Demand. Welcome to America, I have NO problem supporting the right to make a profit. Even at the $47.99 price they saved me a bunch on a hat I probably wouldn’t have bought at full price.

Then again, if you guys hadn’t told me about them I would have saved the whole $54.
Yet another Akubra I hadn’t planned on (4 this month alone).

They mentioned Fedora Lounge guys have been making a run on the Riverina (hence the price increase). No more green ones left.

They also offered me other Akubras not listed: Coober Pedy and “Tracker” (she said it’s the same as Angler) come to mind. The kind lady went out into the backroom searching for hats my size.

Outback Outlet: score!

Anymore discount Akubra leads to share?
Thanks, Fredthecat

Ryan

Familiar Face
:eek:fftopic: The price increase due to demand reminds me of a Burt Wolf European travel show for PBS. He was in a Pub and pointed out how it's priced. The name of the beer with a price were on a lighted board, like you would find at a airport or NYSE. It changes depending on supply and demand. They said the price can go up or down in a matter of minutes.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Fredthecat said:
Thanks for the lead. I ordered the Riverina from Outback Outlet. $54 total. Thanks Ryan.

I’m going to try the Puggaree wrap or swap one from an old Akubra Army slouch hat.

Can I join the Lounge Safari Club now?

They did raise the price $8. Supply & Demand. Welcome to America, I have NO problem supporting the right to make a profit. Even at the $47.99 price they saved me a bunch on a hat I probably wouldn’t have bought at full price.

Then again, if you guys hadn’t told me about them I would have saved the whole $54.
Yet another Akubra I hadn’t planned on (4 this month alone).

They mentioned Fedora Lounge guys have been making a run on the Riverina (hence the price increase). No more green ones left.

They also offered me other Akubras not listed: Coober Pedy and “Tracker” (she said it’s the same as Angler) come to mind. The kind lady went out into the backroom searching for hats my size.

Outback Outlet: score!

Anymore discount Akubra leads to share?
Thanks, Fredthecat

You have me beat--I've copped a Sydney, Adventurer, and Riverina in the last six weeks. But I've also added a Bailey pork pie, a Kangol "Monty" beret, and a Village Hat Shop panama on top of that, plus had some work done to a Statesman that I picked up in Canberra in the 1990s.

I'm tempted to drive down to Outback Outlet. It's only about an hour away.

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Yep, I'm on a roll, but it's not a competetion, just a mutual love of all things hat.

If they were an hour from me I'd take off NOW. They're more like 2000 miles. They seem to be very friendly, helpful and apparently have a bunch of Akubras and others squirreled away and good prices.

Mrs Fredthecat seems to think it's getting out of hand. She stopped counting at 20+ hats in the living room and 100+ in spare bedroom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy