Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anita Page, R.I.P.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Anita Page, one of the last surviving silent film stars, passed away this Saturday (September 6, 2008). She was 98.

Here's a link to the Associated Press obit:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h5uo8HwTxO6Ib4fw9pwbYoUQVVhwD931LI580

anitapage.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Very sad news. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another actor or actress with an active career spanning more than 84 years, so she may very well hold the record.

"Broadway Melody" is a wonderful film, and there's something very charming about Miss Page's role in it, especially her we-couldn't-afford-the-Duncan-Sisters singing duet with Bessie Love. The picture takes a lot of heat from critics today who sniff at it as just another bumbling early talkie, but taken in its context, it's still excellent entertainment.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Broadway Melody was a wonderful film. full of old timey atmosphere and flavor. Anita Page was adorable in it. She had a great life. She played the movie star role to the hilt right to the very last. An enviable life. Sad in a way, but glorious in another.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
..."Broadway Melody" is a wonderful film, and there's something very charming about Miss Page's role in it, especially her we-couldn't-afford-the-Duncan-Sisters singing duet with Bessie Love. The picture takes a lot of heat from critics today who sniff at it as just another bumbling early talkie, but taken in its context, it's still excellent entertainment.

I haven't seen Broadway Melody, but I will soon as per your recommendation.

Yes, early talkies are frustrating to modern audiences, but hey, they were the Pioneers of movies with sound. It can be tough, but viewers have to make an exception as they were doing all of this for the first time. A lot of the early talkies are also missing scenes (lost to time) which can give them a jarring effect.

Recently, I picked up a piece of sheet music for "You Were Meant For Me" from Broadway Melody at a garage sale, among others:

2801684349_b8e8e4f347.jpg

See the other sheet music here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremyhopkin/sets/72157606970531994/

I also have the songs 'Broadway Melody' and 'You Were Made For Me' on 78rpm records, both are catchy tunes.

Flivver

Practically Family
Gee, I'm so sorry to hear of her death.

I first saw her in "Our Dancing Daughters" (1928) and it's sequel "Our Modern Maidens" (1929). I've been a fan ever since.

Hondo

One Too Many
Growing old sucks eggs but it happens, no denial there, I too have to do some "reseach" on her, Unlike mine (dull) what a colorful interesting career.
R.I.P. hon :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just did a bit of research, and it seems that with Miss Page's passing, there are only two remaining living American silent film actors who starred in films as adults: Barbara Kent, born in 1906, who appeared with Greta Garbo and John Gilbert in "Flesh and the Devil" among other pictures beginning in 1926, and Dorothy Janis, born in 1910, who made several B westerns in 1928-29 before making a splash opposite Ramon Novarro in "The Pagan," one of MGM's last silents (albeit with a synchronized music score.)

There are still a number of surviving child actors from the silent era, including Mickey Rooney, Baby Peggy Montgomery, Frankie "Junior" Coughlan, Baby Marie Osborne, Malcolm "Big Boy" Sebastian, and Davey "Sonny Boy" Lee.

Heather

Practically Family
Sorry for the sidetrack but since I can't view profiles or private message yet, I'll have to ask my question here. LizzieMaine, am I correct in assuming your in Maine? If so, whereabouts?

Oh, and just so this post isn't totally off topic, you mentioned Mickey Rooney. They've been showing the Andy Hardy series the last couple days on TCM. I've been quite enjoying those...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm in Rockland, about 70 miles up Route 1 from Portland. (And I assume you're another Mainiac??)

A friend of mine met Mickey Rooney at a dinner a couple years ago, and he's still quite vigorous. If he can get a couple more roles in, he's got a chance of beating Anita Page's record for greatest span between films!

Heather

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
I'm in Rockland, about 70 miles up Route 1 from Portland. (And I assume you're another Mainiac??)

A friend of mine met Mickey Rooney at a dinner a couple years ago, and he's still quite vigorous. If he can get a couple more roles in, he's got a chance of beating Anita Page's record for greatest span between films!

Oh cool, haven't been to Rockland in quite a few years. Yes, I am a fellow Maniac. ;) I'm in Limington which is about 25 miles west of Portland. Nice to meet you :)

Yeah, go Mickey! :D They had an interview on TCM from '97. It was quite interesting to watch. Vigorous indeed!

Mojito

One Too Many
Been a bit down all day over this. There was something magic about watching her movies, knowing she was still alive. Now there's just the silver screen image.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails