Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Annoying phenomenon

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
December said:
"does"

"70s does 40s", "80s does 50s".

If I wanted an 80s dress, I'd buy one. I won't be lured in with a silly title like that.

Isn't that the truth! When searching for vintage on Ebay I have so many "to-be-excluded from the search" terms (including "70's", "80's", "90's") on the advanced search it's turning into a novel! Oh, and anything from China and Singapore...I have yet to figure out what "junoesque" means!

It's even worse on the UK site, so I've had to exclude words like "style" and the name of every nasty cheapo clothing store (e.g. Topshop and Primark), otherwise I'd be there an age trawling through. So often sellers will just bury that nasty word "style" deep within their listing, trying to fob off the latest Primark tea dress as a the real deal. :rage: I think it's incredibly dishonest, and there should be (or is there already?) obligatory listing of real vintage in vintage, era-specific, and repro in repro.

Rant over!!!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Viola said:
Junoesque should mean curvy, or tall, or plus-sized. One of those. Not necessarily all.

So that's a real word after all! I thought it was just a Chinese-English made-up word, as it always turns up in those 98 cent from China listings which flood the vintage listings. Thanks for the edification, ladies!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've noticed a similar situation when looking for "fedoras". It seems like no matter how hard you try to find something on eBay or Amazon, you run into some clever guy/gal that just knows how to word their listing. :mad:

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Just thought I'd post this title of a current listing:

"Rockabilly 1940's charcoal mad men secretary DRESS"

Think it covers all of the bases? :D

dr greg

One Too Many
debased currency

I think the word 'vintage' should be banned from ebay, as it seems to extend to everything, ESPECIALLY new stuff that might look like something the seller once saw that was older than them, and retro seems to mean anything you couldn't find in the shop yesterday....it's a nightmare.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I think the word 'vintage' should be banned from ebay, as it seems to extend to everything, ESPECIALLY new stuff that might look like something the seller once saw that was older than them, and retro seems to mean anything you couldn't find in the shop yesterday....it's a nightmare.
I covered this in another post so wont go the full hog here.
I feel vintage should apply like it does to wine, meaning what year was that item made. yes it is 2010 vintage. Retro is of course simply short for retrospect, meaning to look back, so a brand new item made to an old style is of course 'Retro'
These are possibly the most abused words for the eBay seller:-
Vintage
Retro
Original
Authentic
Mil-spec
And don't get me stated on Vintage or Classic cars. It appears that any car can be a 'Classic' car rather than just an old car. So that puts a 1970s Ford Galaxy on par with a 1938 Mercedes 540K or Duesenburg SSJ. One day my 2002 Peugeot 406 will qualify. Vintage? thats another story 1924 Silver Ghost Yes- 1940s split window VW a big NO(though I will give the VW Classic status but the Ford Galaxy not)

Peregrine

New in Town
Try searching for a genuine Stetson on ebay; you'll get all sorts of cheap junk. Akubra is easier to find! Crombie is another thing...gazillions of "Crombie type" overcoats with the odd genuine Crombie shirt/suit/coat thrown in for good measure! And looking for RAF stuff is hard too... keep getting trainers "designed" by someone called Raf Simons. Shouldn't be allowed...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Try searching for a genuine Stetson on ebay; you'll get all sorts of cheap junk. Akubra is easier to find! Crombie is another thing...gazillions of "Crombie type" overcoats with the odd genuine Crombie shirt/suit/coat thrown in for good measure! And looking for RAF stuff is hard too... keep getting trainers "designed" by someone called Raf Simons. Shouldn't be allowed...
I have been looking for a good used genuine Crombie overcoat for years and lost count of the times I have asked Is it made by Crombie or just an overcoat that looks like one. I ended up buying a new one but it cost me £775 and that was a few years back.
And Stetson! 99.9% of people think it is a type of cowboy hat rather than a make. (well, us English at least)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Irvin flying jackets are another hard to find item. Aviation Leathercraft own the name, the fact that if you asked them if they made replica Irvins and how authentic they were would be answered with a positive despite the fact that their jacket looks nothing like a WWII era produced jacket, the only connection being that both jackets are made from sheepskin.

Peregrine

New in Town
Haven't managed to find a genuine Crombie overcoat to suit me, but I do have a rather nice Crombie suit, and a genuine Stetson, both of which were picked up on ebay for not too much money. "Show me the label" is my motto, but even then you can't be certain!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
If you walk into a gentlemans outfitters in Jermyn street Piccadilly you get treated with a certain respect simply by the clothes you wear. A nice Covert coat or Crombie will always stand out amongst the also rans.
I dont class myself as a 'gentleman' though I do love the look, minus the bowler I'm afraid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80