Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Holy Grail Vintage Suit

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lightning strikes thrice.

If this isn't a Holy Grail of vintage suits, I don't know what is. Made in 1940 by Anderson & Sheppard, one of Savile Row's greatest tailors. The style, cut, weave and color are superb. Condition is pristine.

(BTW, the jacket's lining appears to be made of alpaca 'mohair'.)

If you have the dimensions and the cash, please bid on this suit!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-...=UK_Men_s_Suits_Tailoring&hash=item588f0091ed

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Yes, beautiful isn't it? I've watched it not sell at £350 a few times but I'm hoping it finds a good home eventually. The star attraction is the cloth, I think - really exceptional. The only downside is that I imagine it once had a waistcoat...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I think it would work for someone who wears a 42 L. The trousers' waist size is oddly large, though ... and it's a pity that the suit's waistcoat has been lost.

IMO, the lapels are perfectly balanced in relation to the jacket's three-button stance.

Last edited:

Salieri

One of the Regulars
I also think there's a kind of wall at around £300. I've sold lots of ace 30s and 40s suits on eBay and, unless you're prepared to wait an awfully long time to sell soemthing, things have to be truly exceptional to break the £300 barrier. We've only managed it a handful of times. I think if Bookster had it on with a best offer option, he'd get £275 or thereabouts for it in no time.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Hmm. This suit is too large for most Japanese buyers, and the European/Oceania market seems to want vintage three-piece suits above all. (American buyers go for more 'iconic' vintage suits: Palm Beach cloth, DBs with pinstripes, etc.)

It's true, I prefer three piece or DB suits. I wouldn't mind a palm beach either but only if I get a ridiculously good deal on it. I would still buy that suit if it were in my size though, simply to use it with an odd waistcoat (I find peak lapels too formal to wear with an exposed waistline).

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I also think there's a kind of wall at around £300. I've sold lots of ace 30s and 40s suits on eBay and, unless you're prepared to wait an awfully long time to sell soemthing, things have to be truly exceptional to break the £300 barrier. We've only managed it a handful of times. I think if Bookster had it on with a best offer option, he'd get £275 or thereabouts for it in no time.

I agree. If it had the vest on the other hand . . .

bookster1uk

Vendor
That's a ridiculously cheap BIN. For someone of very specific dimensions, though.

bk
Absolutely....we've handled more bespoke suits than I can count over the years and this really is special even by our standards, I valued this far higher than the offer price, it has just sold on eBay for £300. I carefully considered keeping it despite the fact I could never wear it, just to 'have and to hold' or to put on display at our showroom as inspiration for us! Its nice just to have handled it. No sign of a vest sadly.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Yes, I noticed that somebody had snapped it up shortly after this thread was posted - was the buyer a FL member I wonder?
Either way they've got a great suit.

Have you considered producing any obviously vintage-styled suits? I'm sure there's people here that would be interested.

bookster1uk

Vendor
Yes, I noticed that somebody had snapped it up shortly after this thread was posted - was the buyer a FL member I wonder?
Either way they've got a great suit.

Have you considered producing any obviously vintage-styled suits? I'm sure there's people here that would be interested.
Not sure if he is an FL member, i'll be as bold as to ask him.
We add to our range gradually but the list of designs on our wish list is enormous. There is definitely a demand, not least for 3/2 roll lapels and other US inspired models, but when you do the sums and consider our tailoring capacity its not easy to commit to're-creations'. There was a now defunct outfit (that shall remain nameless) in the UK that did that kind of thing, they were 'knocked out' in the East End of London mainly and at first glance looked great, but having handled a few ,on closer inspection they didn't pass scrutiny. We have quite a few of their ex customers who have commented on the difference in quality we offer, and we're not about to change that.
I hope in the fullness of time that we can do more along those lines, we're certainly not short of inspiration.We've had a lot of genuine 40's /50's suits over recent months, they sell for nothing like their true worth either which might reflect the means of some our our customers who like 'the real thing' that is another consideration?

Last edited:

AntonAAK

Practically Family
It was purchased by me!

Many thanks, Marc for bringing it to my attention. I will try to get some more photos up when it arrives.

Anton

Zeropositive

Familiar Face
Amazing suit... damn shame about the waistcoat going missing... what a lovely pattern in the suit material... hmm went for 299 sounds like a deal to me.... but with the stats a funny shape and the sleeves seem a bit short for the length of leg...

And Anton photos are a must fella :)

AntonAAK

Practically Family
The size is pretty close but it may need some minor alterations. I like to show some cuff so the sleeves might be fine. I'll see when I get it. Frankly I would have surgery to make me fit the suit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran