Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Holy Grail Vintage Suit

AntonAAK

Practically Family
AntonAAK, you've renewed my faith in Fedora Loungers. ;)

Thank you for giving this suit a good new home.

I've waited a long time to find a vintage suit in a large enough size at a price I could afford so couldn't pass it up. And the quality is a real bonus.

Tell me about it! There's no telling just how many times I considered to have myself thoroughly altered to fit a particular suit... ;)

A couple of inches off my arms and I should be fine with this one.

Anton

Ed

Familiar Face
Beautiful suit Anton.
I see you are in London.
If the suit needs alterations, have you considered taking it to
Anderson & Sheppard? I'm sure they would be delighted to see
it. They may even have records from the original owner. What
a story that could be. I think if I owned Anderson & Sheppard,
I'd be proud to do the alterations for free. :eek:

Salieri

One of the Regulars
It's a rather nice diea. I'm not sure quite how I would imagine them to react, though.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hmmm...what brings you to that conclusion if I may ask? ;)
The free alterations/repair deal that most of the top tailoring houses offer is for the life of the customer not the garment. They offer the service (at a loss) in an effort to keep the customer's business and since the man who owned that suit won't be buying any more...........

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Beautiful suit Anton.
I see you are in London.
If the suit needs alterations, have you considered taking it to
Anderson & Sheppard? I'm sure they would be delighted to see
it. They may even have records from the original owner. What
a story that could be. I think if I owned Anderson & Sheppard,
I'd be proud to do the alterations for free. :eek:

That's an interesting idea, Ed and I will certainly consider a speculative email to A&S, it can't do any harm.

I tend to agree with Tomasso, however, that they would be unlikely to offer free alterations for the life of the garment. The only reason they may do so is if they felt that there was good publicity to be gained from the suit being in such good condition after all of this time. I presume that there are older A&S suits out there however.

All the best
Anton

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A&S have lots of old stuff hanging around the shop.
mr_sheppard_jacket_4-1.jpg

I doubt they'd be bowled over by a recent arrival of old work....

Zeropositive

Familiar Face
Got to like this post :D Surgery to fit a suit if only it was that easy....

The size is pretty close but it may need some minor alterations. I like to show some cuff so the sleeves might be fine. I'll see when I get it. Frankly I would have surgery to make me fit the suit!

AntonAAK

Practically Family
The suit arrived yesterday and is every bit as wonderful as I had hoped. The service from Bookster was excellent and the measurements 100% accurate.

The trousers are the best I have ever seen, let alone owned. Wonderful fabric, perfect fit and the high waist is very comfortable.

The jacket is, if I am honest, a little snug but I knew that was likely from the measurements. But just a little. I need to lose a few pounds anyway so I have a good incentive to do so. By the time the weather is cool anough to wear it I will fit it better! I would wear it now however if it weren't so hot. It's not far out.

When unbuttoned the lapels want to roll to a two button but I think I prefer it buttoned to three. I will try to get some photos at the weekend.

Anton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner