Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another new memeber with a question

WNNFL

New in Town
I am new to this site. I have a question I would appreciate some assitance with. I am looking for a fairly sturdy "everyday felt hat" for use in outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, fishing, etc. I have read alot of the posts that mention Akubra hats are a good choice. Being short and slight I do not want a hat with a large brim or a tall crown. I've read alot about the Federation on this site, it seems to be the choice of many, and is well recommended. However, being new to felt hats I don't think I am ready to experiement with "bashing" a hat quite yet. Does anyone have an comments, experience etc. with the Akubra "Stockman"? Thanks for the help!

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
don't fear "bashing"

I'm sorry I can't specifically address your questions about the Akurbra since I don't own one. However, don't worry about the creasing/bashing of any decent felt hat.

Here in Texas, some western hatters have fostered the notion that "hand creasing" a hat is an arcane bit of prestidigitation that is secretly passed from the cognoscenti to the novice behind closed doors!

In reality a little patience, a little steam, and the willingness to give it a try is all you need. With some hats, you don't even need any steam. I can't conceive of how you could actually hurt a decent hat by experimenting with the crease options. Many here have tried numerous styles of crown creases on the same hat with no ill effect.

My opinion is, as they say, just one among many and may be worth what you paid for it (nothing).

Dave

MattC

A-List Customer
Stockman

Hi. I've got an Akubra Stockman. I'm tall with a narrow face, so wide brims don't work for me either. The Stockman is about the widest western style hat I can wear, but it looks very nice. It is also damn near indestructible--takes all kinds of weather in stride. The thing about Akubas though is that they are very stiff, and very tought to reshape. My head is a long oval, and it took me a very long time to get my Stockman into the right shape and willing to hold it. Overall though, it is a good choice for an outdoor hat (most vintage hats will take the weather just as well, and you can get a narrower brim more easily--but not ness. with the western look).

Russ

One of the Regulars
Akubras

Akubra makes hats in many styles and dimensions. Once you have an idea what crown height and brim width looks good on you, it's just a matter of picking one out.

For the activities you mentioned, I'd go with Akubra country styles that are pre-creased (pre-bashed). My Fedoras are my city hats; they can go from formal to urban casual, but I have other hats for outdoors activities such as hiking, camping, fishing, etc. Over the last 16 years, my country hats have been the Snowy River, Colly, Down Under, Cattleman and Wentworth. I've also had a few western style Stetsons. All are pre-creased, and very tough felt, but the brims are probably too wide for your tastes. BTW the felt does soften with abuse. You should have seen one of my Snowy Rivers after I spent an afternoon using it as a bucket in a stream!

This is only my biased opinion, and before the Indy gear people take their whips to me, I will concede and say that if you are only going to own one hat, for city and country I'd make it a Fedora with raw edge (with no ribbon trim on the brim). If you are going to get two hats, get a city hat and a country hat. Akubra makes both. I haven't owned a Stockman, but I hear its a smaller brim version of the Snowy River, and probably perfect for you.

16 years ago when I fist read of Akubras in a newspaper article, I also discovered they weren't in any of the Tokyo stores. So I wrote to Akubra (the address I wrote was simply Akubra, New South Wales, Australia). Stephen Keir the owner (or so I assume) wrote back and said he'd let me order directly from the factory. So I did -- I couldn't get away with it now, of course. And I hold the company in high regard as you can tell.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Akubra Stockman

I got my Stockman almost 12 years ago and it's a great hat, I also have the Banjo Patterson,and the Leisure Time. These do not have large brims so you might like them as well, check them out. www.hatsdirect.com

indyjim

Familiar Face
The Banjo Paterson was going to be my recommendation as well. I have one and it is very comfortable and has held up very well. Its shape I think is somewhere between a country style and a fedora. Very suited for outdoor casual wear as well as the occasional more formal use.

Russ

One of the Regulars
My Avatar hat

Hi Fedora, that hat is a brown Federation I bought last month and bashed with the help of those how-to-bash-web pages (thanks guys!). I was leaning towards a general Indy look, but wanted a more relaxed pinch to suit my face. I'm thrilled to hear it described as "Indyesque" by the man behind the ultimate Indy hat.

I've got two Feds, this one is my urban casual, and goes with anything I would dare wear in the city and the Carbon Gray goes with my suits. When I head for the country, these days I wear an Akubra Colly which is about as extreme a country hat as I can find.

WNNFL

New in Town
Another Federation Customer

I just wanted to let you know that after reading all your advice as well as the other posts on this site I have decided on the Federation (standard) vice the Stockman. Chalk up another Fed customer!! :fedora: Thanks again for the help. :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24