Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antarctic Clothing & Equipment

gfirob

Familiar Face
Shackleton photos

Here are some pictures taken by Frank Hurley on Shackleton's 1914-1917 expedition in which his ship, the Endurance was lost. I chose pictures that featured the clothes in some way. These are all from "South with Endurance" a book of photographs from that expedition.

Shackletonpix004.jpg

This is Shackleton himself in a wool turtleneck and the odd harness that I think is for the fur mittens. Maybe Dave can comment on what they are for

Shackletonpix002.jpg

This is two men going out to cut ice for drinking water. It is not sunny...

Shackletonpix010.jpg

This is Frank Wild who was the expedition artist and was responsible for clothing. he also invented and created the tents that kept them alive after Endurance was crushed in the ice. He is the only one that seems to be all in furs.

Shackletonpix011.jpg

This is Tom Crean, an Irishman who risked his life to bring back another man who was incapacitated with scurvy. He is wearing an indescribable hat.

Shackletonpix005.jpg

Nightwatch onboard the Endurance

Playing soccer (football) before the Endurance is crushed.

Shackletonpix006.jpg

Crew of the Endurance

Shackletonpix007.jpg

Frank Hurley on Elephant Island holding a little kodak camera. The hut behind him is the overturned lifeboat they lived on for two years

Shackletonpix001.jpg

Crew at Elephant Island in front of the hut.

Shackletonpix008.jpg

This is Lionel Greenstreet showing the icicles made by his breath. I took this to compare it to the next picture which was taken on a day that must have been just as cold, but you can see how we were buttoned up in modern clothes. My breath icicles look more like snot than Lionel's do but you can see the frost on my gator. He looks tougher...

Antarctica011.jpg

This was a very cold day , probably at night actually, because we were not usually so covered. I am wearing silk long underwear, polar fleece pants and top, a fleece vest, Canada Goose parka, hat, polar fleece gator, double socks, rubber bunny boots, gloves and over-mittens. And I was still cold. Look at Lionel, that tough old bird, he is happy as a clam...

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
J B said:
Your post reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. Do any modern travelers and scientists to Antarctica still wear clothing of these types listed above? From my knowledge, it seems that near-everyone wears bright-colored synthetic anoraks/parkas. I was just curious if some still went forth wearing wool, leather, or fur clothing as the old-time explorers used to. Are those materials even allowed to be used in Antarctica nowadays, out of concern to safety?

Not sure about Antarctica, but in the Arctic some still wear fur. Check out this link with a picture of Les Stroud from the Survivorman TV series in the Canadian arctic. Although I believe in the episode he wore some synthetic fleece under his fur.

I imagine some of the Inuit/Eskimos still wear fur in the Arctic, but this is probabally getting less and less these days.

As for the safety factor, one important thing is bright colors are able to be seen much easier by searchers if you get lost.

NH

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Tour of the British Antarctic Survey in Cambridge

Last week I had thepelaseure and privalige to get a guided tour of BAS by an employee there. It was just one-to-one and was very enjoyable and informative. The tour guide has been South several times and has a real interest in the good old days. He even knew some guys I know who were Down south back in the 70's & 80's ! He also has a real interest in the kit as he is in charge of it in Cambridge. The fact that he was wearing Red Wing boots and has an interest as do I in flight jackets made it doubly enjoyable and I am extremely grateful to him for his time.

I took some photos and here are a few of them ...........

A Ventile Pyramid tent and set up inside for a Polar camp ....

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

They still use 'Primus' paraffin / kerosene stoves....
IMG_2051.jpg

The modern clothing set-up for Sledging operations ....
IMG_2055.jpg

A selection of footwear, gloves and headwear available .....
IMG_2056.jpg

This get-up is the last evolution and was replaced by the ones shown previously ....
IMG_2061.jpg

A sledging outfit from around 1948 .......
IMG_2060.jpg

Yes Mr J, the zippers are 'Lightning' :)

Enjoy

Dave

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I assume the lamp is a Tilley? Do they actually use Primus stoves or is that a British brand? Is there any sort of musuem or permanent display in Cambridge? That would be a great tour. Thanks for the photos.

Elmo

New in Town
BellyTank said:
Mr.Johnson-

which "grade" of Ventile(R) would you recommend for a simple Anorak,
for general use as a windproof layer?
And whom would you recommend as a supplier?

B
T
it comes in single and double layer. as I recall, single is waterproof for 2-3 hours. double for 24.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Elmo said:
it comes in single and double layer. as I recall, single is waterproof for 2-3 hours. double for 24.

And it comes in half a dozen weights too Elmo. You don't specify what weight your approximate weatherproofings criteria are based on. I think the question refers to the weights and not single or double layer of an unknown weight ..... BT is far more knowledgeable on this subject than you might think if you haven't read any of his thousands of other posts. :)
Also, if you read back through this and the Ventile and Anoraks threads you will realise that no-one on here is expecting ventile to be waterproof and it's pros and cons have been well and truly done to death already. ;)

BT, it all depends on what you want to do with your anorak, how long you want it to last, how heavy you're willing to tolerate and whether or not you need any kind of showerproofness ........... we need those please ! :)

Dave

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for trying, Elmo.

OK, DD- but you know this is the wrong thread for Ventile chatter...
The weight of cloth can be relatively heavy, I'm not looking for something
super light. Medium-heavy, for a single layer anorak, not really bothered
about water resistance so much. Mainly for here in Sweden- dry, CW,
I would say. A windproof shell over-garment.

BTW, I wore my Cadet Smock a couple of days ago and was very impressed with
the freedom of movement it allowed. It really WAS like not wearing "outdoors/cold weather clothes"
at all. Just a wool undershirt, light sweater and the smock/anorak. So comfortable.
And this Cadet Smock is a relatively small fit on me, which goes to show that it has a very good cut.

And I should have known about the glove/mitten straps-
I've even seen the Shackleton TV "documentary" film, with Kenneth Branagh.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272839/

B
T

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
You started it BT ........................... :rolleyes:

I was just trying to help you. [huh]

I'll leave you to get on with it yourself then :p

Personally I assumed when you originally asked the question that it was rhetorical as you seem to know enough about ventile anyways and always like to have the last word ;)

Dave

jontom

New in Town
I know this thread is quite old, but all of the topical photo links are dead. Did anyone save them off, and would they please re-post them? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR