Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anthropologie!

starla

New in Town
Hi ladies, do any of you guys know/like Anthropologie? It's a chain of stores, I think associated with Urban Outfitters but with a more classic feel - from what I understand they take inspiration from all over the world and from a bunch of different decades. They have some lovely vintage-inspired clothes (some of the things, though, you have to wonder who designed them!). It's a bit pricey but the sale section isn't so bad, and they're usually worth it!

www.anthropologie.com if you're interested. I know there are locations in Boston and Philadelphia but I'm not sure where else.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
hi there. yes, i worked for them briefly as a side gig and venture in there often. i don't always love their stuff, but when i do it can be dangerous.

they usually have three lines per season, all with a different theme or collection name. they usually try to make one of them vintage inspired per season.

having tried their stuff somewhat frequently over the years, i find that it can be of really marginal quality, and usually doesn't last as long as i would like/hope. but of course some labels are better than others.

i do like their housewares very much and they do have a talent for buying, but i do find everything ridiculously over priced for what it is. so much so that i can't justify shopping there often.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive seen that place, there is a flagship store right on Market street here in the citay. Ive never gone in tho. Its real close to the MASSIVE forever 21, and all I see are a slew of teen girls filling in and out.

Instinct tells me to consider self preservation ;) and not be mobbed by the hoard.

LD

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anthropologie is one of the places I buy my modern clothes at. They have great shoes too. They make very pretty lightweight skirts and dresses for the spring and summer. The only thing I don't like about them is they don't put their entire product line online. I'd just prefer to not have to go into a store if I can buy things online and avoid the store. But, their online collection isn't complete:( They are a bit pricey, but they usually end up having decent sales.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer

Shearer

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
**visited site**

Um these are cute...
http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=16655&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=1967&iMainCat=816

But is there a real reason they are $330! :eek:

LD

No kidding! I've never been to Anthropologie, but someone mentioned in another thread that they had cute vintage inspired shoes so I click the link and....

Wow. The little peeptoes I thought were cute were retailing for $430. :eek: Whaa? I was going to check the store out this week, but now... not so sure! Specially if beaucaillou says some stuff is marginal.

starla

New in Town
Some of the prices are just absurd. I usually only check out the sales racks...but some of the jackets and shoes and skirts especially I would love to buy.

The home decor section is the best I think but again it's like $50 for a set of measuring spoons or w/e. Definitely not the best for a college student budget...but I like to look and drool and dream :p

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Yes, the sales racks can be very helpful.

I just wish they had bigger sizes in all of their items instead of just a few.

But they also have some great wide-legged pants to boot!

Speaking of the elusive wide legged pants--I found a nice wide legged jean at Fourth and Towne--get them while you can before the company goes out of business. Sigh!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Dottie said:
Yes, the sales racks can be very helpful.

I just wish they had bigger sizes in all of their items instead of just a few.

But they also have some great wide-legged pants to boot!

Speaking of the elusive wide legged pants--I found a nice wide legged jean at Fourth and Towne--get them while you can before the company goes out of business. Sigh!

Miss Dottie,

We SO need to go shopping! :D

LD

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Hostile Takeover...

I don't know if Anthropologie has always been owned by Urban Outfitters or not -- though for some reason think that they were bought up or merged a couple of years ago -- but their clothing used to be MUCH more whimsical, sweet, and vintage-inspired than it is today. I love their stuff, the stores are gorgeous, and I definitely enjoy window shopping there, I have to say that I've been turned off to the majority of their clothes for the last year or two...it looks more and more like UO every time I go in. It's a shame! They had such a unique vibe a few years back and these days it's rather like (sorry to use an SAT analogy, but...)

Urban Outfitters:Gap::Anthropologie:Banana Republic

That is, more expensive, a little less casual. Still, for all this, it doesn't stop me from lusting over a lot of their goods!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou