Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antifreeze removal

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Alright so I am not going into the story of how the orange antifreeze ended up on one of my favorite hats. However I am hoping someone here has a good idea of how best to remove the stuff.

Anyone have a good method?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

4and1

One of the Regulars
Though I haven't dealt specifically with coolant on a hat, I've had good results cleaning engine compartment grime off with soap and water.

I suppose you could rewet the spot and pull it out with a vacuum w/attachment, but then you should wet the entire hat to avoid leaving a ring.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Last I knew Anti-freeze was soluble in water.

But I can't help you on the coloring they put in the liquid.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Belegnole said:
Alright so I am not going into the story of how the orange antifreeze ended up on one of my favorite hat

I know how it happened. You were playing Oddjob and skimmed your hat into a radiator? :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I wish you the best, and please do keep us posted on how it goes!

Randy

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Well it got completely covered but lucky the hat is black. Maybe I could give it a heavy spray down w water and blot it dry as much as possible.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
So, though I know a post is worthless with out pics but my camera is at the ex in-laws.

However, I washed the hat with distilled water using a spray bottle and had great results. I sprayed only the areas affected and a bit beyond. Soaked the worst areas, and avoided the interior of the hat and the sweatband. I soaked then blotted an repeated. Then because the hat is a bit big I used a hair dryer to help dry it and brushed it quite a bit. Because I soaked the heck out of the front of the brim it lost all of it's stiffener an is a touch floppy, but it is a stingy and looks better for it. The rest of the hat looks better than before as well. The rinse that the whole hat received got rid of much of the surface dirt and brightened up the appearance of the felt.

Found a camera!
IMG_0147.jpg

My Stevens 4X Beaver after being being worn to work again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran