Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anxiety

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Don't worry. Some common foods like scramble eggs produces me a big headache to me too and I don't why. I can eat a boiled egg with no problems at all. [huh]

Maybe it's what you add to the eggs to scramble them. Anyway, should we dine together for breakfast, I will skip the chocolate croissants and you can have soft boiled eggs.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Same here. I didn't know what was wrong for years. You didn't talk about it. Still don't. For some reason it is ok to victimize the mentally ill where it would be considered wrong to rob and abuse the physically disabled. You learn to cover up and work around your problems. My own life could have been a lot different if I had a little help at the right time.

Sometimes you have to take what you can get and make the best of it. When you can't go it alone any longer you check out.

Yeah, in my case, this stuff is such a taboo here that I couldn't tell exactly if I'm depressed or anxious. I first learned about it when I went to the college in England. A mate of mine had to leave because a depression. I was amazing that the board allowed him to leave and come back the next year. Then somebody explained to me that there in the UK, they take this kind of things very seriously and I learned about the high suicide rate.

Here the rate probably is the same but nobody talks about it.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Maybe it's what you add to the eggs to scramble them. Anyway, should we dine together for breakfast, I will skip the chocolate croissants and you can have soft boiled eggs.

In New England? :) Whenever you want! I'm dying for some cold weather. This place I am is becoming like the south of California 50 years ago. We're about having palm trees and monkeys around the streets. Too darn hot!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
In New England? :) Whenever you want! I'm dying for some cold weather. This place I am is becoming like the south of California 50 years ago. We're about having palm trees and monkeys around the streets. Too darn hot!

Do you really have monkeys on the streets? Yes, I am in Maine, and today is the first day of autumn. Cool and crisp air and the apples are ripe for picking! However it would be a too long trip for you. ;)

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Do you really have monkeys on the streets? Yes, I am in Maine, and today is the first day of autumn. Cool and crisp air and the apples are ripe for picking! However it would be a too long trip for you. ;)

No monkeys yet but I have already a palm tree right under my window :( And today, first day of autumn it was 80F. New England, Newfoundland, the North Pole and Inuits sounds very appealing to me! Here we are on the point we're going to patch summer with the next spring in just a week :eeek:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
No monkeys yet but I have already a palm tree right under my window :( And today, first day of autumn it was 80F. New England, Newfoundland, the North Pole and Inuits sounds very appealing to me! Here we are on the point we're going to patch summer with the next spring in just a week :eeek:

I grew up in NYC and summertime used to make me very anxious for years; I didn't have air conditioning in my 16th floor apartment! It's one of the reasons I moved to Maine, so I can understand not liking the heat. I will send cool thoughts your way!

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I grew up in NYC and summertime used to make me very anxious for years; I didn't have air conditioning in my 16th floor apartment! It's one of the reasons I moved to Maine, so I can understand not liking the heat. I will send cool thoughts your way!

NYC sounds cold enough to me. What happened here is that this one used to be a really cold place until few years ago. A lot of grey days, rain on a daily basis, cold and snow in winter. I have this kind of weather in my veins.

However, I haven't seen a snowflake for ages around here. Sometimes, I have the feeling that one of these days we are going to celebrate Christmas on the beach with the surfboards and the sunscreen bottles like if we were in Hawaii :eusa_doh:

One thing that has made the greastest change in my disposition was returning to Church. I was one who found that I had many sleepless nights, worried about work a lot. (I don' know how many times i would watch those in charge make bad decisions, lack in prep and follow thru, throw people to the dogs. When I would warn them what was going to happen because fo their actions they blew me off, then hated me when what I had fortold would come thru.)

Any way I went back to church (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) and it has made me a bit calmer and I tend to sleep a bit better.

I have good friends and people I can talk to at church. The other part is knowing hat I am where God wants me, and God will (eventually) work good things from all of the bad stuff that is happening.

Of course it is not always that simple but worrying about what is going to happen is a lot like paying for what happens twice. We can prepare, we can go thru a variety of suppositions, we can do our best and try to choose wisely. in the end there are things we can't control and bad things occur. All we can do is pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and start over because they day you don't get up IS the day you lose.

Last edited:

Flicka

One Too Many
Dark chocolate is a classic trigger for migraine, just like red wine and mature cheese. And stress.

As for coffee, there was a study that showed that people who drank more than 6 cups a day had a marked lower rate of Alzheimers, so I look forward to a clear mind in old age. ;) Nah, seriously, I don't experience any effect at all from caffeine - at least none that even rates on the same chart as stress. That is my primary anxiety trigger.

But blood sugar levels is vital for me. If I don't eat reagularly (especially during the first 50 % of the day) I fall to pieces. I have some sort of unstable insuline production, which led to a weird condition they called 'chronically low blood sugar' as a small child (around 3 years). I'd faint and had to learn to always carry around sugar to counter the attacks.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I find that chocolate and caffeine actually abort my migraines, if I consume them quickly enough. It's not eating and not sleeping that bring mine on -- if I work past midnight, which I often do when we have a big show, I can pretty much count on a migraine the next day. The later I'm up, the worse it is. Same thing if I skip a meal.

The caffeine has to come from tea or Coca-Cola for me, though -- I can't stomach the taste of coffee. I could *smell* it all day, but no matter how fancy or expensive it is, it still tastes like burnt pencils to me.

The main thing for anyone to remember is to know and respect your body's limits. If your friends like to stay out all night carrying on, and you get sick if you're up past midnight, maybe it's time for new friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland