Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iade Leathers Review

I might have heard about this brand in passing though even of this I am not sure, which says enough about the impression their uninspired Lewis Leathers knock-offs left on me.

I certainly never imagined reviewing one of their leather jackets, positively at that, but as always in life, fate had other plans so by popular demand (by altogether four people), here is the review of my Iade Leathers jacket.

It turned up here, in our Classifieds and had me fall in love the moment I saw it. Bought it without any deliberation (shoutout to @cellini for a perfect transaction!) which is completely out of character for me, especially since I had no idea what to expect but if after all this time, I cannot trust myself to be able to make a good call on a leather jacket based on just photos then... I don't even know.

QUALITY
Never expected it to be this sturdy! It's a bona fide tank of a jacket. As tough as anything I have handled, it has that over-engineered Vanson or Lost Worlds feel, like nothing can happen to it. Didn't feel the urge to baby it for a second which is a rather annoying trait of mine that I suffer with mostly all of my purchases, especially (such) expensive ones.

BUILT & STITCHING
This means something to some and nothing to me so I guess the photos should tell you everything you want to know. Pretty standard looking though more finished. I must note the neatly secured stitch row ends. Same as above, the stitching feels super tight and secure.
Everything is perfectly neat and precise with all the leather panels being nicely matched.

LEATHER
Iade seems to work with all kinds of different hides. My jacket is made from a very thick (1.4 - 1.5 mm) and moderately stiff, full-grain cowhide. Lightly coated with high sheen & silky to the touch. I don't suppose I could have wished for a nicer leather. It is a bit too heavy for such a trim jacket but it also seems to be breaking in quickly and beautifully so... We'll see.

HOW IT FEELS ♟
Surprisingly comfortable pattern - Or rather, one that works for me - though the weight of the leather does make wearing the jacket a bit of a struggle. But, I can and have been wearing it comfortably for the most part, these few days.
I really do enjoy wearing it a lot, more than I feel I would each time I put it on.

One issue... No, complaint rather than an issue, which is apparently shared with mostly all of the Japanese-produced leather jackets, is about the very narrow sleeves & high arm-holes and looking at the photos of their other jackets, this isn't exclusive to my jacket alone. . .

So yes, the sleeves are narrow but they feel like they're settling in. I have only this particular cowhide to thank for this as I doubt the Lost Worlds horsehide or Vanson's Comp. Weight would've ever be willing to cooperate. But it's definitely something for you to consider.
At least I do not particularly enjoy not being able to bend my arms while wearing a sweater.

HOW IT LOOKS
There's an upside to everything thus the overall trimness of the jacket makes it look good. It looks deadly good. The narrow body; squared, wide shoulders; trim arms... Combined with cleaned-up design choices of its previous owner, the jacket looks extremely sharp and expensive. Blazer-like, actually.

Interesting feature of this brand is that the lapels aren't pressed toward the body so they stick out when the jacket is unzipped which gives it an entirely different look! Couture fashion designers occasionally resort to this but I have never seen it on a traditional motorcycle jacket. This also allows one to resize the lapels or set them apart to ones liking.

Actually, it isn't even easy to readily see this jacket as a cross-zip & certainly not one based on a classic Lewis Leathers biker style.

Another feature unique to my jacket are the side-waist gusseted zippers which act exactly as sleeve zippers, extending the waist of the jacket by adding several centimeters to it. This makes enough difference though granted, combined with a 2-way front zipper, it is a somewhat superfluous feature.

LINING, HARDWARE, ETC.
Harris Tweed be Harris Tweed. Thick, fuzzy material that I neither dislike nor much care for. This one is heavy though, so the jacket is warm. The Waldes hardware has all been sourced by the previous owner. Operates well enough though if it wasn't pointed out to me, I would've taken them it a Talon or a YKK.

VERDICT
Reviewing this jacket, I was trying to be as objective as possible or at least as far as my feelings towards it allow it and the thing is, I do feel strongly about it because in all the years of buying and selling leather jackets, looking for & ultimately dropping the notion of the one, I do feel, for maybe the first time ever, that this is my jacket. That it's the jacket I have been looking for.
It looks the closest to what I want while making me look the closest to how I want which, as we all no doubt know, is the most difficult and least compatible aspect of this entire hobby so risking another attempt by selling this jacket and looking for a better match, honestly seems like complete madness to me. At least at this moment. We least of all are strangers to madness here so let's not say never but... I will try.

So yes, I am very, extremely happy to have bought this leather jacket and that's all I am going to say on the subject of subjectivity.

Objectively, having little to add that I haven't said, if this review has roused your interest in the Iade Leathers, I don't think you would be making a mistake to do business with them. Based on this one jacket, I certainly recommend them.

But be careful, the sleeves are narrow!

20231231-152233.jpg

20231231-142635.jpg

20231231-142706.jpg

20231231-143117.jpg

20231231-143100.jpg

20231231-142759.jpg

20231231-142826.jpg

20231231-142817.jpg

20231231-143134.jpg

20231231-142857.jpg

20231231-152300.jpg

20231231-142649.jpg

20231231-142654.jpg
20231231-142721.jpg

20231231-142807.jpg

20231231-142923.jpg

20231231-142938.jpg

20231231-142913.jpg

20231231-143019.jpg

20231231-143051.jpg

Last edited:

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Thank you for the review! Was truly a pleasure to read, made my day.
Ever since I saw your post in the WJAYWT I thought to myself "damn, that jacket/outfit looks like it's made for Monitor, can't imagine it looking much better than that". I feel like you really reached the endgame with this one. It's just so unique and so "you". The only issue being narrow sleeves? Maybe some wetting and stretching can improve that? Helped a bit with my 5*.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The leather looks really nice and the construction quality as good as it gets.

I had a look at their website, the pricing is very competitive as this Lewis Leathers Cyclone inspired jacket only costs about €525 but to be perfectly honest I strongly dislike the elongated the look. Body and sleeve width can be altered though so if I were to order one I'd shorten the body by al least 3 inches. The narrow sleeves are a deal breaker for me though, I don't think I could physically get my arms through those tubes.

1704274924213.png

1704275771529.png

TartuWolf

Practically Family
From the jackets that are currently listed on their website - nothing appeals to me. But this specific jacket that Monitor has - that's something else. I'd add arm gussets if I'd order for myself though.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Great write-up, Ivan!

I had the same impression as @TartuWolf. looking at the website doesn´t do anything do me, but that jacket of yours: just looks and fits you to the nuts!

Especially liked the reduced specs, narrowing the focus to construction and leather which both seem to be really, really nice!

konadog

Practically Family
Great write-up @Monitor. I am about to buy a Lewis Leathers Super Sportsman or Dominator and this review has me thinking of ordering custom through Iade, for half the price. I wonder how accurate their custom ordering is. Since I already have a custom Lewis Corsair, I could provide them all the measurements and hopefully come out with something great, especially if the workmanship and materials are in line with your jacket.

1704557791702.png

1704557744611.png

Great write-up @Monitor. I am about to buy a Lewis Leathers Super Sportsman or Dominator and this review has me thinking of ordering custom through Iade, for half the price. I wonder how accurate their custom ordering is. Since I already have a custom Lewis Corsair, I could provide them all the measurements and hopefully come out with something great, especially if the workmanship and materials are in line with your jacket.

View attachment 577491

View attachment 577490

If their every jacket is on the level of mine, I'd say you would be getting an even slightly superior product, not just a great alternative to the original - And I consider Lewis Leathers to be an absolute top notch maker. Definitely one made from a nicer leather plus from what little research I did, they are more bespoke than LL, whose modifications go as far as Aero's. I think a Dominator in this brilliant Horsehide Iade is using, would be a winner.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Definitely one made from a nicer leather plus from what little research I did, they are more bespoke than LL, whose modifications go as far as Aero's.

At least in some cases (it happened to Carlos) Lewis will make you your own pattern; maybe it's when your measurements are out of the ordinary enough that MTM would not suffice.

At least in some cases (it happened to Carlos) Lewis will make you your own pattern; maybe it's when your measurements are out of the ordinary enough that MTM would not suffice.

When I asked, they only wanted to modify sleeve/back length but then again, I am very standard in jacket measurements & am dead on 40 in LL. Any 40 I tried at their London store was perfect for me.

I somehow missed this thread! Hide looks superb. Love the grain! Nothing beats a simple, right to the point cross zip. No fussy details!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I asked, they only wanted to modify sleeve/back length but then again, I am very standard in jacket measurements & am dead on 40 in LL. Any 40 I tried at their London store was perfect for me.

That makes sense to me, since unlike wool leather moulds, whereas for a suit regardless of your general measurement they need to construct the shape through cutting, canvas, and iron.

bolted

New in Town
Hmmmm. :confused:Banana, Cactus, Pineapple, heavily grained fruits & vegetable pastes PULSE many other abominated mixtures sold as Full grain or Top leather seems to BOTHER me.
I’m, ...:rolleyes:slow,

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Very thorough review. I enjoyed reading it. I also like how the changes in this model such as fhe white zipper tape make the jacket look more modern and have a unique feel. It's not for me, but I like it anyway.

bolted

New in Town
Hmmmm. :confused:Banana, Cactus, Pineapple, heavily grained fruits & vegetable pastes plus many other abominated mixtures sold as leather seems to BOTHER me.
I’m, ...:rolleyes:slow,
Ok, I purchased one, clearly marked. Very reasonable.
Shell: Imitation leather......:confused: Time awaits it.
Other material: Viscose, Faux, or Polyester.
Rock Republic in China.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
The leather looks really nice and the construction quality as good as it gets.

I had a look at their website, the pricing is very competitive as this Lewis Leathers Cyclone inspired jacket only costs about €525 but to be perfectly honest I strongly dislike the elongated the look. Body and sleeve width can be altered though so if I were to order one I'd shorten the body by al least 3 inches. The narrow sleeves are a deal breaker for me though, I don't think I could physically get my arms through those tubes.

View attachment 576434
View attachment 576435
very tubular boxy fit, the chest and shoulder look tight on this model but the waist is baggy and long

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
The construction of this jacket looks brilliant, I checked on a couple of jackets I have,all made here in the UK, and they look like they have been sewn with knitting needles in comparison, I'm impressed.

The construction of this jacket looks brilliant, I checked on a couple of jackets I have,all made here in the UK, and they look like they have been sewn with knitting needles in comparison, I'm impressed.

It's hard to describe how tough this jacket feels. I believe it's the stitching, somehow, but I don't know... All I know is that I've had brand new Vanson jackets that felt flimsy in comparison.

And the leather is out of this world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner