Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any idea about this blazer?

Brinybay

Practically Family
I saw this in a thrift store today. I'm not as astute as some of you folks on spotting vintage clothing, but it looked kinda vintage to me, but I could be wrong. It was too small for me so I didn't buy it. There was no label other than the laundering instructions.

My apologies for the quality of the pics, I just had my funky cell phone camera.

blazer1.jpg

blazer2.jpg

blazer3.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The lapels look '70s to me. Too sharp and pointy to be earlier.

The material looks interesting, though, almost '50s flecky. If it was me and it fit, I would get it.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
By "laundering instructions" do you mean it's machine washable? If so - probably not a sign of a really great garment. Outer materials and linings and interfacings usually aren't machine-wash friendly.

Also - fabric care tags are a tip-off it's not more than probably 30 years old. I believe it was only in the late 70s that they were required on all garments.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
By "laundering instructions" do you mean it's machine washable? If so - probably not a sign of a really great garment. Outer materials and linings and interfacings usually aren't machine-wash friendly.

Also - fabric care tags are a tip-off it's not more than probably 30 years old. I believe it was only in the late 70s that they were required on all garments.

Yes, machine washable, although the instructions said could be dry cleaned also.

Thanks for the tip about fabric care tags.

70s always brings to mind stuff like this:

398px-Saturday_night_fever_movie_poster.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I would agree that the lapels are pure 70s.... actually, to my eye it looks like a 70s contemporary take on a flecked 50s blazer.... If I sw one like that in my size going very cheaply, I'd be tempted to pick it up and have the lapels reshaped a bit for a more 50s look. [huh]

Brinybay

Practically Family
Edward said:
I would agree that the lapels are pure 70s.... actually, to my eye it looks like a 70s contemporary take on a flecked 50s blazer.... If I sw one like that in my size going very cheaply, I'd be tempted to pick it up and have the lapels reshaped a bit for a more 50s look. [huh]

Yeah, too bad it was too small for me, even if I lost weight. I must be learning, somewhere in the back of my head I was thinking that flecked look was 50s-ish.

Any locals who want it, it was at the St. Vincent de Paul's store near Aurora and 130th.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
It is a seventies tuxedo jacket. the price is good as you could probably trade or resell it at a vintage shop for ten bucks or so. Not too desirable, but there is some demand for the kitch factor if it. It is polyester, so unlikely it would ever look all that good on as it will not hang or drape wll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters