Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any one like Flying Boats?

HepKitty

One Too Many
C-FHHR20EHRD20150995.jpg

I like them all, especially this one

The Dornier DO-24ATT

dornier_1600_plain.jpg

Post-war restoration with three Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-45 turboprop engines, one built.

-dixon 'hull step' cannon

wow

djd

Practically Family
Oh I love flying boats - one of my dreams would be to travel in one of those wonderful old Imperial Airways boats ... My grandfather introduced me to them as he always hankered after flying in the Sunderland Flying Boat - instead of Lancasters and Wellingtons!

Story

I'll Lock Up
The Hawaii Clipper, one of only three commercial flying boats built in 1935 was designed to meet Pan American Airway’s desire for a trans-Pacific luxury aircraft. The other two were named the China Clipper and the Philippine Clipper. Equipped with giant pontoons, these flying boats could take off and land on water, while providing luxurious accommodations to passengers, similar tp those found on ocean liners.

In July 1938, Hawaii Clipper Flight #229 carrying nine crewmembers and six passengers were flying from Alameda, California to Manila by way of Honolulu, Midway, Wake, and Guam. Its passenger list included distinguished men: Dr. Earl Baldwin McKinley, Dean of Medicine at George Washington University, and Dr. Fred C. Meier, plant pathologist of the Department of Agriculture, who were en route from Guam to Manila in search of the answer to the puzzle of the trans-oceanic spread of disease germs and plant pollen. The Hawaii Clipper disappeared over the Pacific.
http://historicmysteries.com/vanished-hawaii-clipper-flight-229

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
Hello Story
I liked your last post, most people have never heard of the Hawaii Clipper or her fate.
Another interesting bit of history is the fourth clipper that was built.
The fourth flying boat (re-designated as M-156) was ment to replace the M-130 but Pan Am went with the Boeing 314 instead. Martin sold the M-156 which was called the Russian Clipper and all of the design plans to the Soviet Union which was essentially identical to the three Pan Am models except that it had a larger wing (giving it a longer range) and twin vertical stabilizers. It is thought that it was flown untill 1944, at which time it was scrapped for reasons unknown.

800px-Aeroflot_Martin_156_Russian_Clipper.jpg

untitled.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, I'd miss reading about the M-156.

It is thought that it was flown untill 1944, at which time it was scrapped for reasons unknown.

Probably pressed into service by the NKVD/KGB, for clandestine hijinks.

Boris_natasha_fearless.jpg

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
TIME MACHINE: SHIPWRECKS are a dime a dozen off the shores of the Gold Coast, but what about a sunken plane?

The mystery of what happened to the wreckage of a Sandringham flying boat that sank beneath the waves off Burleigh Heads continues to fascinate history buffs nearly 60 years after it was last seen.

The Tasman-class VH-BRD Short S.25 Sandringham was built in Dumbarton, Scotland, in early 1944 by Blackburn Aircraft to be used by the Royal Air Force during the final year of World War II.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/09/15/458180_gold-coast-news.html

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
TIME MACHINE: SHIPWRECKS are a dime a dozen off the shores of the Gold Coast, but what about a sunken plane?

The mystery of what happened to the wreckage of a Sandringham flying boat that sank beneath the waves off Burleigh Heads continues to fascinate history buffs nearly 60 years after it was last seen.

The Tasman-class VH-BRD Short S.25 Sandringham was built in Dumbarton, Scotland, in early 1944 by Blackburn Aircraft to be used by the Royal Air Force during the final year of World War II.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/09/15/458180_gold-coast-news.html

I do love flyingboats!

Stand By

One Too Many
I like the Luftwaffe's Blohm and Voss BV238. The biggest flying boat of WW2!
They built a prototype - unfortunately, when it was moored at a lake, it was discovered by a bunch of USAAF P-51s - and they strafed it until it sank! I know, it was German and there was a war on and it was an absolutely bonafide (not to mention BIG and easy) target - and I'm sure it was a lot of fun to do that to it at the time as well ... but still. What a complete shame.
Here's what it looked like on film - and flying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flDgvOA7k9o

Last edited:

Justin B

One Too Many
Here's a reverse on the theme. It's a Stratoliner converted at the behest of Jimmy Buffett into a boat.

cosmic-muffin+(5)%5B4%5D.jpg

Attachments

• cosmic-muffin+(5)%u00255B4%u00255D.jpg
    cosmic-muffin+(5)%u00255B4%u00255D.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 873

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The Dornier Wal in all her many guises was a fantastic aircraft and operated in all the four corners of the globe, including Amundsen's attempt to reach the North Pole. Very graceful aircraft.

Vorlage-fuer-den-Nachbau---der-Dornier-Wal-N25.jpg

Dornier_Do_J_N25_Roald_Amundsen.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy