Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any one used this site for suits? (The Harris Tweed Shop)

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Harris Tweed as a lining? Whow that would be very scratchy I think. I wouldn't recommend that at all. Typically suits and trousers made from Harris Tweed require lining otherwise they would be a little uncomfortable. Having said I do have a Harris Tweed scarf and I can just about tolerate the scratchiness as the tweed seems to be a little softer. Some people can get away with it and other can't.

I won't be wearing it directly on my skin, like a scarf, since I will be wearing a shirt and perhaps a sweater - although I do wonder if it will get caught on my shirt or sweater fabric. Several Loungers have a tweed lining that they like, so I should ask them what they think.
What could you say about the weight and warmth of the fabric?
Thanks,
Philalethes

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I agree with Tenorclef, I think Harris Tweed would not be a comfortable lining. I was looking through the tweed selection, and noticed they have a wool/silk tweed that is lighter and probably less scratchy:

http://www.harristweedshop.com/tweed-silk-wool.html

I think the beige or pink would make a good lining. In any case, I would write the Harris Tweed Shop and ask their opinion - they may have very warm liner material that isn't listed on the website.

Thanks, good suggestions both. Unfortunately, the silk/wool tweed is much too light for what I am looking for. I may take your advice and contact the Harris Tweed Shop - they have been helpful in my past communications with them.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
What could you say about the weight and warmth of the fabric?
Thanks,
Philalethes

I think Harris Tweed is probably one of the warmest and hardiest clothes out there. Its spun from sheep that live in Scotland and typically you have to be pretty hardy to live there! Although I have suits made by John G Hardy, Montague Burton and Austin Reed, i'd say Harris Tweed is the best for worsted tweed quality.

Fifty150

One Too Many
My interest has been piqued. I'm used to going to Brooks Brothers since it's local to me. But it does seem like a pretty good site since you can order 2 pairs of pants to go with the suit, and it comes with a waist coat.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Tweed as a lining? It's not the itchiness - it's the warmth factor. It'd be like wearing a small oven unless you were planning to sleep under the stars in mid-January. As regards the itchiness it would simply require wearing - after a few days of constant wear the wool runs flat and becomes much more comfortable. I've got a British Army wool shirt reproduction from WW2 that I've worn flat inside during re-enactments. The trousers take more effort although - ironing is recommended which smoothes it all down.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Tweed as a lining? It's not the itchiness - it's the warmth factor. It'd be like wearing a small oven unless you were planning to sleep under the stars in mid-January.

Do you think tweed is much warmer than regular wool?

Here is how I am looking at it: many people who get an Aero jacket get the 10 oz. wool lining and almost universally they seem to think it is not very warm. If I double that with a 19/20 oz. tweed as above, I figure it would be OK. The lining is for a horsehide jacket: as I understand it, the horsehide does not have much in the way of thermal properties - it is more of a wind-resistant/water-resistant barrier. Even if the leather had good thermal properties, the combined weight of the leather and tweed would be about 30 oz. - or slightly less than a vintage peacoat.

Of course, if tweed is warmer than regular wool, it might be too warm.

As regards the itchiness it would simply require wearing - after a few days of constant wear the wool runs flat and becomes much more comfortable. I've got a British Army wool shirt reproduction from WW2 that I've worn flat inside during re-enactments. The trousers take more effort although - ironing is recommended which smoothes it all down.

Good to know that the tweed lining would become smoother over time.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
If you can settle for a sportcoat, for now, Ebay is the place to pick up Harris Tweed. The past week I've got 4 sportcoats of differing patterns and haven't paid more than $50 for any of them.(Three were $20)

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I personally think tweed is warmer due to:

(1) Tighter weave.

(2) Generally heavier weights except for those modern trendy 'tweeds' that aren't proper tweeds.

Wool varies in warmth based on those two things, not necessarily together. It can weigh 16oz but be of a tropical weave in theory, I suppose, and still be cool to wear due to air-flow and all that jazz.

dustyjohnson10

New in Town
yes! i think you can trust this site and if you don't have trust on them then why dont you try any other sites. There are many sites who can stand on your choice.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a wonderful little shop in Princeton, N.J. that sells Harris Tweeds, Loden coats, Schneider apparel, and all sorts of woolens. Right around this time of year they usually have sales. I've picked up a couple of nice Harris tweeds over the last few years for very reasonable prices. Nice people to deal with as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo