Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any vintage Zippo lighters collectors ?

I wasn't pleased with my Slim-Zippo's flame. The mushroomed wick also looked not that correct to me. But I couldn't pull it out a millimeter, WTH.

Long story short:
I removed all cotton and the wick clearly laid too "engulfed" to pull it through the cotton. But now I could finally pull it and cut the tip.
NOW, the flame is as a real Zippo flame should be! :)

Maybe, that's the disadvantage of Slim-Zippo. The wick has the same size as classic Zippo wick.

@Fading Fast
@AbbaDatDeHat @tonyb

I indeed got wash benzine in my cellar. People still say, it surely works as all "light benzine" would do, but stinks very bad, when burning.

I mean, when I just smell at the bottle, it surprisingly doesn't smell different from Zippo benzine.
Should I give it a try, my loungers?

Last edited:
I've tried a fair few lighters in the last few years, and by far the best of all of them for pipe-lighting duties was a friend's Zippo with the pipe-lighter insert.

Did you try the (adjustable/non-adjustable) metal Clipper lighter? My new one still works, actually it seems to be reliable and the flame boost under 0° angle is a nice gadget. The refill-ventile seems to be robust. It's an nice alternative to pipe lighters. Maybe, you would prefer the adjustable Clipper.

IMGP9490.JPG

Edward

Bartender
Did you try the (adjustable/non-adjustable) metal Clipper lighter? My new one still works, actually it seems to be reliable and the flame boost under 0° angle is a nice gadget. The refill-ventile seems to be robust. It's an nice alternative to pipe lighters. Maybe, you would prefer the adjustable Clipper.

View attachment 545793

I've tried the disposables, they were good - I'd like to try a refillable. I'm wary of gas, though - I spent a fair bit a few years ago on a refillable gas lighter but could never seem to get it refilled with more than a single use or two's worth of gas...

I've tried the disposables, they were good - I'd like to try a refillable. I'm wary of gas, though - I spent a fair bit a few years ago on a refillable gas lighter but could never seem to get it refilled with more than a single use or two's worth of gas...

Actually got my Clipper with the third refilling, no trouble. Using (drug)storebrand gas butane/propane. Surely no problem, as long it's not too much propane in.

But I will hold on my non-adjustable. Simple tech is better. Costing 12,95 EUR in Germany.

But my standard is still storebrand mini-stick lighter. They always work for some weeks until the gas nozzle seemingly fails (not the piezo ignition). But refilling them was never a problem.

Attachments

• IMGP9516.JPG
    IMGP9516.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMGP9520.JPG
    IMGP9520.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMGP9521.JPG
    IMGP9521.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 26
  • IMGP9522.JPG
    IMGP9522.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 26
It's kind of curious.
The more I use my Slim Zippo, the more I like it, no joking. I mean, I don't really see a reason to get a pipe-Zippo. The Slim simply does the job, if needed. With Zippo benzine even better. :)

Altogether really nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo