• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Anyone else interested in trying out ration dieting?

Discussion in 'The Home Front Woman' started by Flicka, Jun 24, 2013.

1. VintageLincoln

VintageLincoln New in Town

Thanks for that. I'll look it up!

2. RedDoll46

RedDoll46 New in Town

Most of the ration experiments that I have seen are mostly the British/UK version. I want to research the US version of the rationing to see what that would be like.

For the record - I'm not disparaging the UK experiments. That rationing was strict.

3. TimeWarpWife

TimeWarpWife One of the Regulars

Here are the weekly rations for an adult in Great Britain. As an emotional eater, I could probably eat close to this much on a really bad day. I read somewhere that the average British woman wore the equivalent of today's size 4 clothing and size 3 1/2 shoes. I couldn't get the big toe of one of my size 9 1/2's into a size 3 1/2. I also read that many of the clothes from this era are too small to fit most of our, shall we say, better nourished bodies. I've seen some lovely vintage dresses on Ebay and Etsy, but in sizes x-small and small, if I didn't eat anything for the rest of my life I still couldn't fit into something that small.

[​IMG]

4. Here's a link to a vegetarian wartime cookbook (published 1942). I've tried a few of the vegetable stew recipes & the bran biscuits (which were excellent).
    From the introduction, "Correct diet is like the key to a garden; it is essential as a means of entering the garden, but it is not an end in itself. It opens the door to a fuller life, and, rightly used, will build better bodies, with greater abilities to live in, and create, the better world we hope to build out of the present chaos."