Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone fancy a picnic?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
zaika said:
*sigh* that photo makes me want to go on one. i wish my family had done things like this...at least after i had been born. i inherited my grandmother's picnic basket and picnic plate/cup set. used it once for a birthday picnic on the beach with the girls...it was fantastic! but an autumn picnic sounds simply delightful!!

I thank God every day for the blessings I had growing up. I feel so fortunate to have had the experiences that I did as a child. My memories are full of family picnics, trips, Sunday dinners at "Maw's", etc.

I tried really hard to offer my children the same environment, but the "times" had changed so much that, as hard as I tried, it was just never quite the same. Now that I have grandchildren :eek: I'm trying to share some of the same experiences with them. I hope I will be able to succeed.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Time to bump this thread...

Mrs. H. and I had a LOVELY picnic along the banks of the Potomac River today. We stopped and shopped for picnic plates and cutlery at Williams Sonoma. Now all I need is a traditional English wicker hamper!

Cutlery:
img78m.jpg

Plates:
img20m.jpg

img37l.jpg

Napkins (Can't decide which pattern to choose!):
img10m.jpg

img90m.jpg

img58m.jpg

Tablecloths:
img59m.jpg

grundie

One of the Regulars
I built my own picnic hamper set after being unimpressed by he quality of the ready made sets I looked at. Even ones costing around £100 seemed to lack the quality I would expect. The contents were grand, but the basket itself seemed to be a bit too flimsy. More expensive sets had a much better basket, but I just couldn't afford the price being asked.

I found a large wicker basket for sale in my local TK Maxx for just £10.00. It was really sturdy, but had no lining or straps on the inside. I made a lining from some gingham cloth and made straps for plates and cutlery using leather I got from a cheap second hand leather jacket.

The plates, glasses, cutlery and accessories were bought from local supermarkets. The total cost for the whole set was around £50.00.

We tend to picnic in one of the many lovely Dublin parks. We usually pack a bottle of wine for my wife, a (few) bottle(s) of beer for me. Lot's of fresh bread, ham, cheese and hummus. With strawberries and cream for afters. Yummy!

Next week we are planning to head off into the Wicklow mountains to have our first picnic with our son in tow, we can't wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot