Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone fancy a picnic?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
If you recall, their basket contained chicken and beer. :) Yummy!

48.jpg

Tomasso!!!!!!! Isn't it refreshing to see Cary Grant eating a chicken leg with his hands just like that?????? You know, no formalities, kind of relaxed, no fork and knife?

But Tomasso, where is the beer? I don't see it anywhere lol lol

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Hadley, the beer is in the basket. Look. What a wonderful spot for a picnic, overlooking the harbor at Monte Carlo.

Wowwww Tomasso you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are having a glass of beer ....what a wonderful clip !!!!!!! :D

If there was ever a spot for a picnic, that was the one, no doubt about it! :eusa_clap

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Now playing: Under a Blanket of Blue, Casa Loma Ork.
(Note that you need to be on top of the blanket to picnic properly.)

Hadley gets to pick the next record.

Crankola YAY! The record I pick is 'Blue Moon' and we'll stay with Glen Gray and His Casa Loma Ok? This picnic is getting better by the second lol

olive bleu

One Too Many
my basket , which i inherited from my mother in law looks more like this. it actually gets alot of use.I probably take picnics 2-3 times a year.

picknik.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just found this thread on picnics and thought you all may find some old picnic pictures interesting. These are all from some of my family's old photos:

I have no idea when this photo was taken, but would suspect sometime prior to WWI. It could be a church picnic, as these were (and still are) very popular in my neck of the woods.

DSC01584.jpg

This one was taken sometime immediately prior to or immediately after WWI. The man with the boater is my great uncle Briscoe Brown.

DSC01552.jpg

This photo was taken in August, 1928 and is a family reunion (now that's a picnic spread!).

DSC01607-1.jpg

Last, but not least, is my family on a picnic in May, 1958. That's me sitting on the table. You can't see it, but there is a cake behind my Grandmother that (they tell me) I had my hand in getting a big hand full of icing (which I'll still do if I can get away with it).

Picnic_1958-b.jpg

Big Man

Tomasso said:
And, what a great name. :)

There were several "great names" in that family. Aside from my great uncle Briscoe Clayton Brown, his brother's names were: James Madison Brown, William Franklin Brown (my grandfather, "Will"), Thomas Sankey ("Sank") Brown, Elijah Sylvanius ("Van") Brown, Zachariah Yates Brown, and John Rufus Brown. The sisters had, for the most part, rather "normal" names: Carrie Ella, Alice Elizabeth, Mary Hester, Amanda Minerva, Louise Matilda, Laura Sylvania (twin to "Van"), and Ada Rebecca.

Big Man

olive bleu said:
Now, THAT's good, old-fashioned fun!!:eusa_clap

Growing up, we used to go on family picnics quite a lot. It was always a big deal, too! My grandmother fixed all the food, and she, my two aunts, my mom and dad, and my sister and I would all load up in dad's big Buick 98 and head for the mountains. Now when we took a picnic, it wasn't sandwiches and chips, my grandmother always fixed a full meal to take along. Roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, corn, yeast rolls, and of course a big coconut cake was the normal picnic fare.

We continued our family picnics up until the time my grandmother became too old to go (sometime in her mid-90's). After she passed away, we went on one more picnic, but it just wasn't the same without "Maw", so that was just about the end of the family picnic. After I was married and had children, I started the tradition back until they were "too old" to do such things. Now that my grandchildren are of age to enjoy such (but still too little to say no :) ), we've picked back up. However, no one has the drive to fix a meal like "Maw" used to fix. I guess you just can't turn the clock back ...

Jovan

Suspended
I remember going picnicking in the fields and woods with my cousins up in Quebec in the summers. My grandparents had a great cottage there with a lake in back. Ahhh, those were the days...

Big Man

DSC02220.jpg

With Fall fast approaching (and the changing leaf colors here in the mountains), I was reminded of some of the family picnics we used to take along the Blue Ridge Parkway. This one was about 1958. In the photo is my grandmother and my two aunts.

Has anyone been on a picnic lately (or planning on going soon)?

Kishtu

Practically Family
We're demons for the Indoor Picnic.... kind of like an outdoor one but we put a rug down in the living room and fend off the cat.

I know it's not quite the same, but it means that sometimes when the wind is lashing outside and the rain is beating on the windows, we can have a bit of a taste of an English summer with cheese and pate and home-made bread and butter.... Home grown strawberries and raspberries still sun-warm from the bottom of the garden, and Cornish clotted cream...

Big Man

Kishtu said:
We're demons for the Indoor Picnic.... kind of like an outdoor one but we put a rug down in the living room and fend off the cat.

I know it's not quite the same, but it means that sometimes when the wind is lashing outside and the rain is beating on the windows, we can have a bit of a taste of an English summer with cheese and pate and home-made bread and butter.... Home grown strawberries and raspberries still sun-warm from the bottom of the garden, and Cornish clotted cream...

Sounds like a truly grand time.

K

kpreed

Picnic

I had a 1940 Plymouth business coupe for bunches of years and did many a car show or rod run, and always there with me was my wicker picnic basket also, I have the show/run, plaques in it (the basket lid) to prove it too.

Big Man

I still have the old picnic basket, table, folding chairs, and thermos pictured in the photo above. They are all still very much in service on picnics today.

Now, if only I had my Dad's old car and could be joined by my Grandmother and Aunts ...

Big Man

Now this is how to dress for a picnic. This was taken at Crabtree Meadows along the Blue Ridge Parkway. When we went on a picnic, we went all out!

PicnicatCrabtree.jpg

zaika

One Too Many
Big Man said:
DSC02220.jpg

With Fall fast approaching (and the changing leaf colors here in the mountains), I was reminded of some of the family picnics we used to take along the Blue Ridge Parkway. This one was about 1958. In the photo is my grandmother and my two aunts.

Has anyone been on a picnic lately (or planning on going soon)?

*sigh* that photo makes me want to go on one. i wish my family had done things like this...at least after i had been born. i inherited my grandmother's picnic basket and picnic plate/cup set. used it once for a birthday picnic on the beach with the girls...it was fantastic! but an autumn picnic sounds simply delightful!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24