Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have an HSM Gold Trumpeter??

Allen

New in Town
Now, I don't want to build myself a reputation amongst my fellow forum goers as the guy who unwittingly buys counterfeited business wear, but I recently picked this one up and couldn't help but find some of the little nuances about this suit to be somewhat strange. I was hoping anyone who also has a Gold Trumpeter suit from Hart Schaffner Marx might be able to corroborate that. I took some pictures earlier:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The HSM is on the left. Now, I don't know if this is just a difference in brand (on left, Jos. A. Bank) but the angle between the lapel and the collar seems a little off kilter, based on other suits I've seen and have. It seems to have a more extreme slant to it.

This particular shot is what tipped me off more than anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the gold cross-stitching be what adheres the label to the lining of the suit, rather than the (look closely) black thread somewhat haphazardly sewn over it?

Inner left side of the jacket.

Inside the pocket on right side of jacket.

Penny for your thoughts, ladies and gents?

birkie

Familiar Face
I think the label with the gold "cross stitching" is normal. I was just looking through a few local thrift stores, and recall that just about every HSM jacket had a label that looked like some minor variation of the one you posted. The gold "stitches" were part of the label image, while the label itself was attached via discreet black stitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy