Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have any experience with Schaefer Ranchwear?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
A friend of mine told me to look this company up.
http://www.schaefer-ranchwear.com/

They do a "Mesquite Jacket" that looks pretty promising.
http://www.schaefer-ranchwear.com/s...chwear/mens-outerwear/mesquite-jacket-14.html

Made from 15oz twill. That's 3 oz heavier than any Filson offerings I have seen. The jackets look good, but the sizing seems awfully modern. My guess is that like some other companies, the models wear at least one/two sizes bigger than they should wear.
All in all though, the company looks great. Anyone have anything from them?

I have about 5 of their vests = 3 Cattle Barons, 1 McClure & not sure what the other one is(found it = Garrison)
All top quality wool/wool blend, old west styling. Good for layering or when only a lite jacket is needed.
I'm a 44 Regular & the Large vest is snug with the XL being a bit roomy.

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
I've had loads of their vests and coats as well, and my friend Red Steagall has his own line of ranchwear through them that is excellent (though none of his line comes in sizes big enough for me, like other items from the same company). I've put their outerwear through some nasty experiences, and they came out real well. If there's a problem with fit or workmanship, which is rare, they are also great to work with and will make sure you're happy. I found that calling the company got me the exact sizing info I needed, rather than guesstimating online with a size chart. Great company.

IXL

One Too Many
I'm wearing one of their vests right now. I have six or seven of them and several jackets and coats, as does the wife. I wear some of the vests for cowboy action shooting matches....and look quite dapper while shooting the bad guys!!!
It is good stuff. Get on their email list and you will be notified of specials.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I have a pair of 15oz sand-colored jeans. Tough and good, cut a bit wide in the leg but I like that for outdoor work.. Also a jacket from them, dont know which, sort of for bad weather, with drawstring at waist inside and front yokes. Again, super durable...although their sizes run large and I might consider sizing down.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of their jeans which I got from their factory seconds page. They're pretty good but the normal price is ridiculous, American made or not.

My buddy has their waxed mesquite jacket and it's a nice item. I personally wouldn't buy any of their jackets though because they don't offer tall sizes. Additionally, for the money they ask for their coats/jackets, I feel they should be offering numerical chest sizes instead of S M L XL sizing.

frussell

One Too Many
I'm 6'5" tall, and I have yet to get anything from Schaefer that was too short, unless it was a vest I didn't bother to look up on the size chart. It tells you how long the back of all outerwear runs, so there's no surprises. Also, as I said above, the folks are very helpful if you call. I called to find out which vest styles ran longer, since I was using them for horseback riding, and they gave me a nice list to choose from. They are a bit pricey, but as was mentioned, lots of email deals and mailing list scores are available. I just got an email for "60% anything in the outlet store." Thanks, Frank.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have a pair of their jeans which I got from their factory seconds page. They're pretty good but the normal price is ridiculous, American made or not.

My buddy has their waxed mesquite jacket and it's a nice item. I personally wouldn't buy any of their jackets though because they don't offer tall sizes. Additionally, for the money they ask for their coats/jackets, I feel they should be offering numerical chest sizes instead of S M L XL sizing.

Exactly. I require a tall size as well.I emailed earlier today asking for measurements for a jacket. I'm actually going back and forth between regular/long size Filson offerings as I speak.
I first looked into their Levi's jacket, but it has their oiled/waxed finish, which I am hesitant to purchase. Fit is not an issue with this one because I have confirmed that an XL is fine for me both in length and chest size.

Now, it's back and forth between their lined vs/ unlined ranch jacket. My impressions are that this style is shorter, (both the Filson as well as the Schaefer). I am doubtful that a regular size would work for me here. Again, I'm 6'2".

Now, Filson ONLY offers the ranch jacket in a tall size with the wool-lined version. If they had the unlined version in a tall, my card would be out right now. I have read reports that the mackinaw wool lining (built into the jacket, not bought separately as an attachment) is very warm. Though it is approaching winter here in California, I am looking for a year-round jacket. A little bit of extra heat won't kill me, but I don't want to be bombarded with heat. I also have my doubts that this would suit me. I'm not sure if any FL members can comment on this liner issue in regards to a mild climate.

Finally, I stumbled on the DRY cloth Tin Cruiser jacket. This only comes in a regular size, but I did look at ebay/rakuten postings and can comfirm that the jacket is definitely long enough for a 6'2" frame. Right now this is my new plan A.

I kind of shot down the oiled Levi's jacket because I fear it would be impractical in California, and that the wax is troublesome, but if anyone can convince me otherwise/have any tips, let me know.

Actually, this whole process is plan B. Plan A was leather jackets, but I have called it quits. The obsession is too great.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Didn't see your post Frussell before I typed my response. Thanks.

BTW, where does it specify on the site the back lengths? I'm probably blind.

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Schaefer Ranchwear,
Dam Good Stuff...Bullet Proof. I have a few old vintage pieces & a newer Jacket ...the new stuff is still solid but seems cut big & Long...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Schaefer Ranchwear,
Dam Good Stuff...Bullet Proof. I have a few old vintage pieces & a newer Jacket ...the new stuff is still solid but seems cut big & Long...

I ordered a "mesquite" jacket today in a medium. A bit worried about the length but the style is cut a bit short (to allow more movement while seated on a horse or doing outdoor activities). I hate to turn workwear into fashion wear but I am excited about its bulletproof qualities. Will post pics when it arrives.

frussell

One Too Many
I think you did fine, that's a great jacket. I misspoke about coats, the size chart only lists the back lengths for their vests. All that info is under the Customer Service tab, there's a size chart that pops up. I had a Mesquite that I loved, wore like iron, like the old Carhart stuff, but it got stolen. A great length for any activity, but not so short it makes you look like you're wearing a bolero jacket. Frank

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think you did fine, that's a great jacket. I misspoke about coats, the size chart only lists the back lengths for their vests. All that info is under the Customer Service tab, there's a size chart that pops up. I had a Mesquite that I loved, wore like iron, like the old Carhart stuff, but it got stolen. A great length for any activity, but not so short it makes you look like you're wearing a bolero jacket. Frank

Thanks. I got the under showcased "tobacco" color. Hard to choose between that and the "sun tan".

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I received my mesquite jacket yesterday. Before putting it on, giving it the once-over, my heart kind of dropped. "Definitely going to be too short"...after putting it on I found it to actually fit. Right at the belt line when standing. Amazing, the length being only 25.5 inches or so. It makes me wonder if I can pull of a regular size a-2, being 6'2".

frussell

One Too Many
Glad to hear it. It's definitely a riding jacket, cut to give enough warmth or protection while in the saddle, but not long enough to get caught in your rope, over the horn, or over the cantle while working horseback. When seated, it should cover your belt. Great jacket, had many like it. Frank

AdeeC

Practically Family
I have several items of apparel from them bought several years ago. A Mesquite blanket lined jacket, a Chisholm denim jacket, two Taos denim shirts and a pair of jeans. The mesquite jacket is impressive, attractive, light and very tough but the whole otherwise perfect package is undone by flimsy inside pockets tacked on. Better without them. Still one of my favourites though. The other items are all rock solid, nicely styled and different. Though American made I do now think they are somewhat overpriced for even American made. It's not like made somewhere in the American Heartland either. Their factory I believe is a stones throw away from the Mexican border. They overdo the American Made theme a bit too much IMO. Like has to be mentioned on 4 different labels and tags on the mesquite jacket as well as USA on all the buttons..

I had some odd ordering issues with them. My first order of the Mesquite jacket was delivered to Australia via Austria. Twice I ordered a Chisholm shirt and received Taos shirts instead. I kept them because too much bother to return and they are nice. The Chisholm jacket came with a handful of stonewash pumice stones in the pockets.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My Mesquite jacket has held up really well. I just toss it onto the floor when I'm not wearing it. It's really a basic jacket but extremely practical. And not overly warm either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran