Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone heard of Flying Equipment Co. G-1

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

I came across a minty example of a 1950s G-1 made by Flying Equipment Co. Chicago. Label is gold on black and resembles the Werber or Dubow G-1 labels (thin rectangular) in style but there is no reference to USN, BuAero or anything military in the label.

The contract no is 261953. I do not think this is a military contract but the jacket displays all the military specs. Has anyone heard of this contractor? Nothing much on the web but I will keep looking.

Thanks for any info, Bob

Update: I think I have found a part answer. John Chapman has examples of the jacket as a 55j14 spec by this manufacturer on his CD-Rom. Although the one I have yet to receive has no mil spec on the label, I think it may be the civilian issue version of this jacket therefore making it an early example.

I will keep you posted.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Well, the jacket arrived today and I am delighted.

The description from the website was good but I don’t think they realised how early this jacket is.

As I suspected, it does not have the USN markings under the collar but in every other respect it is a mil spec jacket. Small tooth Talon that is painted black and the collar is genuine mouton which is beginning to turn that wonderfuil orangey colour. The goat is thick and full of character and apart from a couple of minor scuffs is totally mint. The waistband is proper single-ply and reverse weave and there are absolutely no signs of moth or knit damage anywhere. On the inside left pocket is a paper/card label which states order number, style and size along with a red serial number.

The collar shape is slightly pointed which I prefer.

Will try to take some pics.

bjoy

New in Town
I have wondered about Flying Equipment Co too.

A few months ago I saw an A-2 on eBay with exactly the same label (including contract number) that appears in their G-1.

The early 50's (maybe 1953 based on their fantasy contract number) seems pretty early for someone to be making reproductions though. Maybe they were just re-branding surplus jackets?

jon z

One of the Regulars
I bought a mint example from Aero some years back but returned as it didn't feel right compared to known mil spec jackets I had with which to compare it.

Edit: Aero have one for sale now.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
bjoy said:
I asked about this company on the VLJ forum when I saw that A-2, and the ever helpful David/deeb7 contributed the following link. It does seem to indicate they were an actual manufacturer of reproductions.

http://books.google.com/books? Y...ntract – so they could be sold to the public?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bob, I have checked the full list of naval contracts in Full Gear and this manufacturer did not have a contract for G-1s or any goatskin naval jackets. It would appear to be made for the civi market in the 1950s, where there was a demand for G-1s. I have checked JC's CD and can't find any mention of G-1s or 55J14s by Flying Equipment Co.

tamoko

New in Town
I have Flying Equipment with 100% correct label.
Full Gear and Suit UP is not perfect references.
---------------------
BuAer . U.S. NAVY
G-1 FLIGHT JACKET
SPEC. 55J14 (AER)
Flying Equipment CO.
CHICAGO 13, ILL.
----------------------
On John Chapman CD you can see "civilian" version with wrong label.
G-1 55J14 | Original Flying Equipment Co. G-1 (42)

aswatland

tamoko said:
I have Flying Equipment with 100% correct label.
Full Gear and Suit UP is not perfect references.
---------------------
BuAer . U.S. NAVY
G-1 FLIGHT JACKET
SPEC. 55J14 (AER)
Flying Equipment CO.
CHICAGO 13, ILL.
----------------------
On John Chapman CD you can see "civilian" version with wrong label.
G-1 55J14 | Original Flying Equipment Co. G-1 (42)

No Full Gear is not necessarily 100% accurate but without proof it was an issued G-1 I still think it was for the civi market. You must have a different copy of JCs CD as it is not listed on mine as far as I can see. The contract no. 261953 does not conform to the usual numbering used by the USN. 55J14 contract nos were of four or in most cases 5 numbers after the N383S designation for this type of jacket.

tamoko

New in Town
This is right.
And this is two different label.
On John
----------------------
Model G-1
FLYING JACKET
CONTRACT NO.261953
Flying Equipment CO.
CHICAGO 13, ILL.
-----------------------
but on my Jacket.
---------------------
BuAer . U.S. NAVY
G-1 FLIGHT JACKET
SPEC. 55J14 (AER)
Flying Equipment CO.
CHICAGO 13, ILL.
----------------------
Interesting on my Jacket "wings pin" from AERO GRAM "Flying Clipper Cruises" flown to to South America in 1941.
like this on AERO
PAAlogo.GIF
GRAM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/PAA_Flying_Clipper_Cruises_to_South_America_1941.jpg

The Clipper Era
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_World_Airways

aswatland

So Tamoko your jacket does not have a naval contract number, which suggests it was part of a US government contract.

tamoko

New in Town
correct.
but on CD "CONTRACT NO.261953"

From John CD

"Flying Equipment Co. had one USN contract for the G-1....."

Clippers was purchased by the U.S. Navy , and operated by Pan Am.

aswatland

tamoko said:
correct.
but on CD "CONTRACT NO.261953"

From John CD

"Flying Equipment Co. had one USN contract for the G-1....."

Hmm...but where is the evidence for this? The contract no on the CD is not part of the normal sequence of numbers and was most likely not a USN navy contract at all. In the 1950s there are many examples of made up contract numbers appearing on civi jackets of various types.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Aero aren't confident enough to state definitely that the one they have for sale is a Mil Spec jacket so are selling at a lower price to reflect this.

tamoko

New in Town
I agree that this is a strange contract.
Johns jacket has stitch marks of a name tag and two patches on the shoulders, it was also probably used by someone in the Navy. My jacket from Clipper PAA which was part of USN.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

hope I have not inadvertently started an argument here. I am not too concerned about the military integrity of this jacket. I have a number of G-1 mil spec jackets and bought this as it was very cheap and in all respects (zipper and label excepted) it does resemble an issue jacket.

I am not sure if it could be described as a repro as it is 50s vintage and so at worst it is a contemporary copy that is extremely well done.

No matter - I am very pleased with it and thanks for all the additional info. I respect Andrew's view on this as he is very knowledgeable.

If it had been a Pritzker or Foster, for example, it would have been a great deal more money.

Tkecks

Familiar Face
So, resurrecting this thread...

I've recently acquired a Flying Equipment Company G-1, and I'm trying to find out how old it might be/ any other information. I'll post some pictures shortly.

In the meantime, re: the above discussion, I found some references online that seem to suggest some jackets made by the Flying Equipment Co. might have been either military issued, or private purchase and used anyway:

Private purchase, late 1950's (photos):
http://www.okinawarelics.com/hmx-1.html

Some suggestion here of an early model G-1 (sorry for link to other forum):
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/97015-flight-jacket/

Advertisement with pictures for Flying equipment co. A-2's (popular mechanics magazine, May 1947):
http://books.google.com/books?id=09...e&q="flying equipment" chicago jacket&f=false

1951 Advertisement for US Navy early "intermediate flight jackets" (text only):
http://books.google.com/books?id=SV...e&q="flying equipment" chicago jacket&f=false

Last edited:

Tkecks

Familiar Face
Okay, so here it is.

Size 50.

Label reads:
Model G-1
Flying Jacket
Contract No.261953
Flying Equipment Co.
Chicago 13, ILL

Serval Zipper.

It has had various NASA patches sewn on.
A nametag appears to have been removed from the front below the stitched name (see photo).
I cannot figure out what the stitched name is supposed to be: Ren Fennel? Red Fennel? Any ideas? Is this a navy person serving as NASA recovery staff?
I thought that this looked like a relatively recent replica, with some ebay replica patches, but now I am not so sure. It had a fair bit of blue corrosion around the brass zipper and armpit gromits, easily removed, but suggesting some age.

Patches are:

(right arm) Space shuttle, Apollo/NASA
(left arm) Lunar Landing 1969, Apollo 11
(front) Apollo 13, Enterprise approach and landing test

The shuttle Enterprise was tested around 1976, and never actually went into orbit.

It's a weird combination of different age components: are these jackets genuine 1950's private purchases? The patches could be anywhere from 1976 to modern additions, and the name stitching looks very high quality for the 60's? Plus then there's the removed nametag only expected on military issue jackets...

Please, any ideas comments as to age / authenticity? Thanks!

Last edited:

BuzzTheTower

New in Town
That jacket is definitely not a Flying Equipment Co. jacket. The label was removed from one, and placed in a 1970s era jacket. The FEC jackets are essentially a standard early 1950s G-1, with three-point pocket flaps and a rib-rack waistband. This jacket is from a different era, and it's obvious that the label has been sewn into it by hand.

Tkecks

Familiar Face
Thanks, yes the label does look sewn in by hand, although it does seem to be a genuine size 50. Anyway, that solves the 1950's question. I guess maybe the seller wanted to make it look older? I only paid $30 total: the patches cost more than that on ebay.

Next up is what age it really is, does the Serval zipper help? It does look like it had a proper military nametag attached at one time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo