Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone heard of Flying Equipment Co. G-1

Peacoat

Bartender
That jacket is definitely not a Flying Equipment Co. jacket. The label was removed from one, and placed in a 1970s era jacket. The FEC jackets are essentially a standard early 1950s G-1, with three-point pocket flaps and a rib-rack waistband. This jacket is from a different era, and it's obvious that the label has been sewn into it by hand.

Thanks, John.

Tkecks

Familiar Face
I got a little help elsewhere and it was suggested that the stitched name is "Rex Fennel".

I did a quick google search. Rex Fennel (deceased) was a helicopter pilot for some commercial helicopter companies in the late 1960's in Corpus Christi, Texas (maybe he formerly worked for the navy, I have not been able to find any info on this). The jacket came from San Antonio, TX, which is consistent with this, and the age seems about right if the patches are authentic. I guess he may have worked for NASA at Johnson space center in Houston.

Still doesn't explain why an older label was sewn in.

What is etiquette for jackets like this when you know a bit of the history? Assuming that I got it right.

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
restarting this older thread, i came across this info on Flying Equipment Co. on JC's sale page. John proposes that 2 separate series of Flying Equipment jackets were made. this would explain some of the earlier comments here, and the different labels. in short, he states that the later FE jackets were made by Star Sportwear. in reviewing some links on FE, i see that, in the early 1950s, they also sold aircraft batteries, gloves, aircraft parts, GI RayBan sunglasses. i have a 55J14 era FE jacket, and it is one of my faves.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_flyingequipg1_0001.html

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
it seems the earlier series of FE jackets had labels stating "Spec 55J14 (AER)". Later, it seems jackets (and those JC proposes were made by Star), had labels stating "Contract No 261953".

fish70

New in Town
I just purchased this G-1. The "Made in the USA" tag makes me think that this is a fairly recently made jacket but the stitching on the tag seems original (The manufacturer seemed to not know the difference between an A-2 and a G-1). Gorgeous jacket though.

Attachments

• IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0233 (1).JPG
    IMG_0233 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 592
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 603
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 626
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 636
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 645

fish70

New in Town
I did find out that "WPL numbers were issued from 1941 through 1959 under the Wool Products Labeling Act. WPL numbers begin at 00101 and end at 13669. All numbers issued subsequently are RN numbers." from

https://www.ebay.com/gds/Clothing-Labels-RN-and-WPL-and-CA-/10000000003229985/g.html

If this is correct my jacket was made before 1959. I wonder if these were laying around a warehouse somewhere and someone found them and sold them at a later date?

Attachments

• IMG_0233 (1).JPG
    IMG_0233 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 610

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters