Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone heard of this new bar called The Varnish? in Historical Downtown L.A.

swanky_frankie

New in Town
Has anyone been to this place? My folks go to Cole's French Dip... I never knew there was a bar as well!

here's a little review a friend sent me..

Downtown: Finally open in the tiny space behind Cole's French Dip is the Varnish, the "speakeasy bar" from Sasha Petraske (of the renowned Milk & Honey), Eric Alperin and Cedd Moses. Its entrance—through the Cole's dining room—is marked only by a lonely cocktail sign; as for the 50-person space itself, the ridiculously-detailed decor is straight out of the Prohibition era, from the floor tiles to the vintage booths (fun fact: they are made with original seating from a trolley graveyard in New Orleans). But of course, the main draw is the cocktails, which start at $11

swanky_frankie

New in Town
CigarMan said:
I had a girlfriend of mine going to LA this past weekend and asked her to check it out for me. Unfortunately she didn't get a chance to go. However in my research, I found the following places also . . .

http://www.213downtown.la/index.html

Anyone ever been to any of these?

I've been to the Golden Gopher a couple times. I've usually gone on a Saturday night. The music is a mix of hearing James Brown to The Doors to the Cure to the Clash. Also there is a little convenient stand right when you walk in, so you may buy some bottle of your favorite alcohol on your way out.

Interesting joint.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
swanky_frankie said:
I've been to the Golden Gopher a couple times. I've usually gone on a Saturday night. The music is a mix of hearing James Brown to The Doors to the Cure to the Clash. Also there is a little convenient stand right when you walk in, so you may buy some bottle of your favorite alcohol on your way out.

Interesting joint.

Looking at the pictures of the Broadway Bar . . . looks like a really classy place from back in the era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24