Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here have a Mail Ordered Bride?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
Right song, wrong series - it was Here Come the Brides. And they came in by boat.

You are right of course. I defer to superior minds.

Bobby Sherman AAAnd David Soul.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I lived in Russia for awhile.

On the subway, I'd see suspicious sights... Like 50 year old American men with hot babe ruskayas and I'd know. Oh I'd know. They consider it a pretty serious business franchise over there.

Astrobeej

New in Town
Mike in Seattle said:
Right song, wrong series - it was Here Come the Brides. And they came in by boat.

"Here Come The Brides" was loosely based on the movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers", so in a way, you are both right.

:eek:fftopic: In a total aside, the early 80's, Scott Miller and his band "Game Theory" recorded a cover version of "Seattle", turning the bouncing and brash theme into a haunting and lovely song. Check it out!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Jack Scorpion said:
I lived in Russia for awhile.

On the subway, I'd see suspicious sights... Like 50 year old American men with hot babe ruskayas and I'd know. Oh I'd know. They consider it a pretty serious business franchise over there.

Well, it beats what your mind jumps to when you see that here. And I don't mean grandaughter. And I don't mean his seamstress.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Astrobeej said:
"Here Come The Brides" was loosely based on the movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers", so in a way, you are both right.

:eek:fftopic: In a total aside, the early 80's, Scott Miller and his band "Game Theory" recorded a cover version of "Seattle", turning the bouncing and brash theme into a haunting and lovely song. Check it out!

I thought so, but went to google to look iot up and got distracted

Brooksie

One Too Many
My Ex-Husband ended up getting married to a mail order bride from Thailand, I heard from a close mutual friend that he actually went to Thailand with his parents to meet her and then she came to the states. The lady he ended up marrying also did not completly understand English so I do not think she really knew what she was getting into:

I figured he married a mail order bride because I asumed nobody here in the states would marry him; he wanted somebody submissive (I can attest to that), he is a registered sex offender and he is 47 years old and still lives with his mom and dad. I have not spoken to him in 8 years.

But, by writting this... I in no way want to imply that everybody that gets a mail order bride do so because nobody here (stateside) would want them.

I actually have been avoiding this thread for quite sometime now and felt I could no longer do that-I had to share my 2 bits worth!

Brooksie

GOK

One Too Many
I saw a documentary last year about mail order brides; at the start, I was convinced that the very gorgeous blonde single parent was out to take the middle aged, unattractive, reasonably well off American guy for a ride. How wrong I was. That poor lady was abused in the most vile manner, even to the point that her husband wouldn't allow her to get her sick child from school because he said she was obviously faking it. The male turned out to be a most heinous creature, and it is my belief that he really couldn't get any of his fellow Americans to be with him. Eventually, after much effort on her part to make the marriage work, the woman took her daughter and left.

I find it incredibly sad that there are people in some parts of the world, so desperate to make a better life for themselves that they find they have no choice but to sell themselves and often endure horrendous abuses. I also find it tragic that there are people in this world that in order to feel better about themselves and empowered, perpetrate such vicious acts. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80