Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone picked up a Bill Kelso lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way Platon conducts his affairs will always ruffle feathers the wrong way... Yet I admire the fact he's hanging his balls out the line. Comedy is always welcome as well as information
It's not smart marketing. He can't even make sales to an audience that on paper is ready-made to buy. You can't offend almost everyone and sell product. They'd do well to either stop or get someone better versed in marketing.

schitzo

Suspended
It's not smart marketing. He can't even make sales to an audience that on paper is ready-made to buy. You can't offend almost everyone and sell product. They'd do well to either stop or get someone better versed in marketing.

I feel I may have missed something here, specifically the part where he is or has been offensive. I get that he's a figure of fun on these pages, I just don't get how that came to pass. Can anyone bring me up to speed?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Platon's posts are most prolific on VLJ, not here. His mate Andy posts here on behalf of BK. This is what Platon wrote on VLJ recently:

As briefly as possible, BK is my own concept. It would not have been possible without the assistance of a local (based in Athens) leather jacket maker/shop. I provide the know-how and they make the jackets. I am the 'art director' and consultant so to speak.
I am also the 'designer' in the sense that I am the one who chooses what jackets are going to be released. I am also responsible for the designing (but not making) of the website and for online marketing and promotion. (BK has presence in 4 online forums, I write in 2 and Andy in the other 2). I am responsible for sourcing the original jackets to be copied, as well as all the materials used, leathers, linings, threads, zippers etc (everything except the venthole eyelets). In case BK source some item/material, it has to get my approval before it can be used. I design the woven labels and everything else you see (e.g. the Arthur Rogers jacket, or Claire Chennault's jacket). People from this forum who worked with me know the effort I put and attention in detail. I am responsible for quality assurance and am there to safeguard your interests, in every respect, because by doing so, ensure BK's prosperity, in which I have an interest. I am your man inside BK and my aim is your satisfaction. Anything you want from BK you can talk to me. I will hear all kinds of requests (well only the moral ones). I am there to ensure high standards are kept always. I am responsible for developing wholesales (nothing done yet) and business development. Finally I am the guy who installs the collar hooks on the A-2 jackets. I get a percentage of sales for my contribution.

schitzo

Suspended
ah, ok. I've never been on that place so I've not heard of this character. I was confusing him with the guy who sometimes posts here. But what you've posted there Andrew doesn't seem offensive.

What I have noticed on these pages is that the BK guy here gets a good deal of flack too, as though he and his comments are unwelcome. Is that a fair assessment, and if so why is that? I've also noticed their victory horsehide gets mocked here too. Makes me wonder, has anyone actually handled it? On the facebook photos of that relic hunter it looks pretty good, no?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.562052783825017.1073741832.540638042633158&type=1

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I admire Platon's product and how far he has come with his dream. Those BK jackets are pretty impressive. I remember P when he was a difficult and obsessive Indiana Jones jacket junkie who eventually got banned from COW, for pretty much the same lack of decorum. Nevertheless P's managed to produce some astonishing jackets and I reckon, abrasive and gormless as he sometimes is, he has some serious balls.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Politics aside, the jackets promoted online seem good, but has anyone actually bought one recently???
I just wonder, if the attention to detail is there, if the horsehide is there (or arriving soon ;) and if a fairly decent range of contracts are available, why have I not read more about guys picking them up? The only posts or pics I find are predominantly on there Facebook page.
Wondering on.....

ah, ok. I've never been on that place so I've not heard of this character. I was confusing him with the guy who sometimes posts here. But what you've posted there Andrew doesn't seem offensive.What I have noticed on these pages is that the BK guy here gets a good deal of flack too, as though he and his comments are unwelcome. Is that a fair assessment, and if so why is that? I've also noticed their victory horsehide gets mocked here too. Makes me wonder, has anyone actually handled it? On the facebook photos of that relic hunter it looks pretty good, no?https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.562052783825017.1073741832.540638042633158&type=1
You seem quick to defend a practice you admittedly don't know anything about. Use the search feature. Although after some flashback a number of posts were modified. I don't blame a guy(s) for trying hard, but the performance and irritating replies to queries have left many cold. I initially wanted to buy a BK. but after delays, hype and other issues, I decided not to. I certainly want(ed) them to succeed, but the online presence has been a mess. I think makers like GW, ELC and Aero do well to lay-low in forums. Knocking other maker's jackets, hides, etc is not a good way to go IMHO. Good product sells itself.Some of the jackets posted on VLJ frankly had me thinking "mall jacket". Every time someone critiqued them, the "we have a new better hide/design" thing reared it's ugly head. If you were an early adopter, you got hosed. Sorry, some of the G-1/M-422 looked awful. They even got good reviews by a few. How, I don't know but it must have been due to spending a lot and feeling like you "have to like it" thing. BK doesn't seem to know what they want to do or who they want to cater to. If I buy a jacket, I want to be able to trust the folks I write a $1000+ check to. I've seen threads blaming the mail for "stealing" jackets that were just slow in shipping. Almost every post has me asking how many bullets can one maker put into one foot?

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
You seem quick to defend a practice you admittedly don't know anything about. Use the search feature. Although after some flashback a number of posts were modified. I don't blame a guy(s) for trying hard, but the performance and irritating replies to queries have left many cold. I initially wanted to buy a BK. but after delays, hype and other issues, I decided not to. I certainly want(ed) them to succeed, but the online presence has been a mess. I think makers like GW, ELC and Aero do well to lay-low in forums. Knocking other maker's jackets, hides, etc is not a good way to go IMHO. Good product sells itself.

Sorry Butte, I don't get your meaning. Who is defending what? Me, I'm just asking a question or two out of curiosity. Admittedly I'm not an A2 diehard so I'm generally not so clued up on those threads. But from my point of view, even if I disliked a company's marketing and online presence if the jacket was good enough I could look past that no problem as it's not the marketing that's gonna be on my back.

Perhaps as you are one of the guys who has mocked BK's victory horsehide (your victory pepperoni crack being one example) you might explain what the need for that is. To clarify, I am not judging you here or in any way suggesting it was uncalled for - I genuinely don't know and I genuinely don't care - I am just interested in your thoughts on this since you seem to have a strong opinion which I assume must be underpinned by a reason or two. Or is it just purely that you don't like the way these two carry themselves in forums?

Yes it is true that we don't hear much, if anything, from ELC and GW and I appreciate this approach also. It seems AL are subscribers to the same model

Seems there are mixed reviews of a few members here and on the VLJ concerning some of BK's jacket fit and replacement issues. Several months ago a couple of member/customers here expressed problems and detailed experiences with either lack of communication or unresolved problems concerning their buying experiences with BK. BK responded with a public scolding of sorts with their replies. Kind of unusual tatics..but can happen.
Problems with venders and materials have seemed to stall some orders as well. Any new company can have 'growing pains'..but it seems to continue.
I think some unusual advertising tactics also can also throw people off.
I'm not saying BK repros aren't nice...but they haven't seemed to catch fire like possibly they could or should..maybe for various reasons.
HD

Sorry Butte, I don't get your meaning. Who is defending what? Me, I'm just asking a question or two out of curiosity. Admittedly I'm not an A2 diehard so I'm generally not so clued up on those threads. But from my point of view, even if I disliked a company's marketing and online presence if the jacket was good enough I could look past that no problem as it's not the marketing that's gonna be on my back. Perhaps as you are one of the guys who has mocked BK's victory horsehide (your victory pepperoni crack being one example) you might explain what the need for that is. To clarify, I am not judging you here or in any way suggesting it was uncalled for - I genuinely don't know and I genuinely don't care - I am just interested in your thoughts on this since you seem to have a strong opinion which I assume must be underpinned by a reason or two. Or is it just purely that you don't like the way these two carry themselves in forums?Yes it is true that we don't hear much, if anything, from ELC and GW and I appreciate this approach also. It seems AL are subscribers to the same model
I was keen on a BK at the start. Between odd posts and excuses and just "out there" reasons for things happening (or not) and some way odd PM's, I lost interest and got more angered over the presence. As for AL, they had a guy come in here posting that turned out to be an eBay ”rep" and posted as if merely an impartial seller of wares. Guy disappeared quickly after being called out. I don't like shenanigans with people spending lots of hard earned money. We saw a lot of good guys get hosed with Aero USA and then the horse/steer debacle. I calls 'em as I sees 'em. I'm probably at least as annoying as those I called out. That's OK, as Popeye says: "I ams what I ams". Difference is I'm not selling product or representing any company.

Schitzo
You seem to always be saying..'I'm not really saying what it looks like I'm saying'..but then must always add little personal jabs throughout your reply. Then trail off into half hearted apology mode to try and cover somehow what you just implied. Always looking for a squabble within your comments. How can that help any discussion?
HD

schitzo

Suspended
Butte, that's fair enough and for the benefit of those too thick to know the difference, I am not questioning your integrity for a second. Of course you calls it as you sees it! We know this. I am just interested in how you sees it. Nothing more

schitzo

Suspended
Schitzo
You seem to always be saying..'I'm not really saying what it looks like I'm saying'..but then must always add little personal jabs throughout your reply. Then trail off into half hearted apology mode to try and cover somehow what you just implied. Always looking for a squabble within your comments. How can that help any discussion?
HD

HD, remember the other day when you pulled out your stock delivery - which basically runs along the lines of ' me no understand big long words me just a simple country hick, me have no comment'? Well perhaps you should stick to that instead of more misguided commentary? As what you've just written goes a long way to qualifying the previous!

FTR. I am saying what I'm saying, and that will apply always. What I'm not saying, is what I'm not saying. Are you with me so far.. it's not so difficult and you really shouldn't over think this.

Now your talking about 'personal jabs throughout my reply' which would be what exactly? Where? When? Who? How? Excuse me? Perhaps sir could use an afternoon nap?

I am not looking for a squabble with anyone, I simply dislike online bullys and am not shy on calling them out. Comments can either be justified or they cannot. As far as I can see I haven't apologised for anything on this thread, but fyi if I ever do so it will be whole hearted or not at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic