Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone want a repro 1936 Mercedes 540K special roadster?

Story

I'll Lock Up
Marshfield - Marshfield resident Joe Johnson took dimensions and templates off of an original 1936 Mercedes-Benz special roadster at Harrah’s Automobile Collection at the National Automobile Museum in Reno in 1973.

For almost 20 years after that, he collected data and original parts and started building his own model from scratch a decade ago. Today, he’s almost done, and has the equipment and the know-how to build more.

“I’ll be selling these complete, finished. They call it ‘turnkey.’ You turn the key and go away,” he said.

The 71-year-old former aircraft mechanic and owner of Classics Revived said he has been building cars since he was young, and has owned 97 cars. He has colorful models of all his previous cars arranged on a shelf in his house, which is full of car paraphernalia like car clocks, calendars, ties and awards from shows.

But it was love at first sight with the very rare and very expensive Mercedes-Benz 540K special roadster. According to Johnson, only 25 were made during the years 1936 and 1939, he said, and an original sold last year for more than $8 million.

Johnson said he expected the car to sell in the range of $300,000 to $400,000. :eek:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/marshfield/news/x1092977761/Marshfield-man-finishing-up-a-1936-Mercedes

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
There was a company in the late 80's and early 90's that offered this same car as a kit (not a VW-based one, either)...I've got a brochure at home about it; if I can find it, I'll scan and post...it was even featured as a build in Kit Car magazine. I have always been intrigued by this car, as I actually got to see an original model (back in the 70's) that was documented as Hitler's personal staff car, in a now-defunct Florida auto museum...
Rob

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
I think that is just a super looking car from the 30s. I have a 1:18 scale model of it in my collection of, mostly old, car models.

I am amazed that the builder could find trim pieces for a car of which only 25 were made in Germany 80 years ago.

It appears the workman ship is first class, but 300 - 400 large seems like a lot for a plastic tribute car although a real one would undoubtedly fetch a great deal more. It would interesting to know what the car sells for.

I saw a real one sell in an Auction in Scottsdale, AZ for a tad over $100K, but that was way back in the 1970s. In the early 50s there was one on the cover of Road & Track that was in Pasadena and they were asking $3,500 for it which was not a great deal more than a new Chevy convertible cost at the time.

I think a great many 1930s Mercedes that are sold at auction used to be claimed to be a car that Hitler once had.

Cheers, Jim.

EDIT: I just saw what Marc was referring to - the photo is of a model so ignore my comment about workmanship - Argh!. That makes one wonder what the real reproduction is like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80