Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split-S Reproduction G-1 Review. (Wearing a repro over an original)

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
All I can say is WOW!

A family Friend found this Jacket believe it or not in a local thrift store, NO idea what it was doing there, it had no business there. The cuffs were mothed which is simply Baffling seeing as it's Brand new practically!

I dont know what it's worth but it's Got to be worth a minumum of $400 USD. I see some of you gents are fond of these, What do you think!?!?! It's a 40R and Fits me like a glove! Splendid! I'm looking trim with the way this one is cut with nearly Lazer precision. It's hardly broken in and soft as butter.

The collar is Just beautiful and it's colour is Just about a match for my Five o-Clock Shadow that it's almost complimentary.

This is not my bike btw, my dad bought it after he had a heart attack several years ago during the fall, and his mother passed away that spring. I suppose it keeps him in the moment since he's been living in anxiety, He's alright physically now but it was a close call, He is still making a full psychological recovery, this bike seems to serve as some kind of therapy.

I'm taking it for a Joy Ride this afternoon...The Jacket I mean, Like I said, If I'm going to enjoy a Jacket This is why I will have a repro over wearing an original. I can beat it up with no guilt or worry. This Jacket is AS GOOD if not BETTER than anything original!!! people!!!

The liner is premium satin, the pockets are more streamline with WWII style cut and buttons, I mean I can't believe someone would donate something like this unless someone passed away or Has DEEEP pockets. I tell you.

Anyway You fancy boys here got me trying the whole *Rolled Cuffs* Jeans thing. Those are Great western Garment company Jeans, Ten bucks at a thrift, beat that! 1970's Canadian combats, don't let the shine fool you, those have seen more abuse than...I don't know but they are Never going down!!! I feel like too much of a hipster in Jeans and boots, normally I like to hybrid my style, I prefer Canadian Combat pants and Converse sneakers...and do Jeans with Combat boots to keep a firm Juxtaposition of military and civilian wear.

Say what you want about me as a man, but I have been told that *I know how to dress*

Thanks for checkin' it out boys.

What do you think about that Jacket, I think It's the best repro I've ever owned! I swear It's Military spec. I don't know anything about split-S so if you could fill me in on the details I'd be grateful.

-Jules

Attachments

• IMG_4450.JPG
    IMG_4450.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_4457.JPG
    IMG_4457.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_4473.JPG
    IMG_4473.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 362

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Always enjoy your posts. You look rad. Awesome to find a jacket that neat at a thrift store. Over here it's mostly dress coats in the real thrift stores. Rarely a leather jacket to be seen!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Thanks, appreciate the positive feedback.

You'd think I'd be able to land a date or a girlfriend or something, haha! but such is not the case, People in this small town are pretty socially backwards. Not to Judge but I call it as I see it, I'm Just a punk who loves his vintage world, you know?

This place is getting really gentrified these days, It's brutal, I can't even afford a beer, it's all Micro Brewed hipster crap.

Anyway this town has all of two things, the church and the bar, it's a precarious Juxtaposition. Rednecks and Tourists don't mix. I have had enough psychologically working in the kitchens here. I'm trying to establish myself with vintage clothes and it seems like a futile means to an end to start a new beginning this way.

The Thrift store is the one place I can stretch my hard earned dollars and It's a good way to pass the time pursuing my hobbies as meager as they are, I'm yielding the occasional Jacket or two here or there. My local Haunts are slowly drawing more attention and the antiques and odds are becoming harder to find at cheap prices, competition is picking up...The Local pickers are flipping things now back to the City tourists at a premium and it's going to soon drive me out of being able to continue my good fortune.

Anyway, Great Job Split-S!

A+

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Nice jacket @Dumpster Diver! I also have a Split-S Aviation G-1, size 46. Found it on the 'Bay a couple years ago. I agree with you that they are a really nice jacket with features reminiscent of WWII/Korean War era jackets.
My G-1 Split-S label states that it was made in El Cajon, CA. I believe Split-S is the predecessor or previous name of Flight Suits/Gibson & Barnes. The company might have changed names and/or ownership but they were always located in El Cajon, CA.
Regardless of the provenance, the Split-S Aviation G-1 jackets are cool!
Wear yours in good health :)

Stand By

One Too Many
Score!!! Superb. You give us all hope that there are indeed the occasional diamonds to be found in the rough.
And I'm thrilled that it ended up with you.
Cheers!

I'd like to see some pics of the jacket laid out flat, etc. Just curious. Looks cool, but hard to see much in the pics.
Enjoy, nothing better than a good deal found out for the cheap!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I have a couple Jackets I'll be posting in the coming weeks that I'd love you all to see, maybe help me with some forensics, and provide good examples of Do's and Don'ts on DIY vintage Jacket repair work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24